Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

patoz

Expedition Leader
What year is it, and who makes it? Is this one 4WD?

That looks like it's a pre-2004 model, so I'm thinking something under $10,000.00 would be more reasonable. Maybe offer him $8,000.00 and settle in the middle around $9,500.00.

finboy

It's a 2000 demers 4x4, no original manual but the owner downloaded a bunch of documentation from the builder, and used a plotter printer to print out a 1:1 scale image of the electrical panel.

One thing I did notice was the compressor kicking in often to top up the air bags when driving. Having never owned a vehicle with air bags, I'm unsure how common this is.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yeah, for a 2000 model even with 4WD, I'd try to get him down to under $10,000.00. But, considering it does have 4WD and even if you do have to pay the full $11,000.00, you won't be getting ripped off.

I don't have any experience with Demers, so I can't help you there.

Having any information on the electrical system is definitely a plus. If you get it, look for a set of yellow certification stickers either on the left front compartment door or inside in one of the cabinets. On that sticker there should be a WO# (work order number) or at least the VIN number. Call the manufacturer, give them those numbers, and they may be able to email you PDF copies of the work order itself, which will contain all kinds of useful information.

It sounds like there may be a small air leak in the system causing the compressor to keep running. That's not unusual in a vehicle that old.

Zekemedic

The lights issue upsets me abit because I was hoping to get it painted with a Umbrella Corp theme. With green lights.

fyi suggestion:
if you can"t find green lenses, then what about clear with green Plexiglas like inserts? Some of the older Demers ambulances {mine's a 2000 type III} had translucent / clear lenses with a red insert behind the lens so maybe you could find/make something like that.

eporter

Adventurer
^^wow that's crazy to see. The only problem is nothing gives at all, so all that shock gets transferred to the soft people inside.

Scarier images are where the ambo drives head on into something and the box just kinda uses the cab as it's own crumple zone...

rlrenz

Explorer
Take a look at the internal framing in an ambulance - then take a look at the wall construction in an RV. RVs always fight adding weight, and ambulances don't care about added weight (within reason).

Mikegosh

wheels and tires

Can anyone tell me the best options for wheels and tires on a DRW ambulance with a Ford f-350 Dually front axle and the stock rear E-350 dually axle?
seems impossible to accomplish 6 custom wheels that have the same bolt pattern

patoz

Expedition Leader
Can anyone tell me the best options for wheels and tires on a DRW ambulance with a Ford f-350 Dually front axle and the stock rear E-350 dually axle?
seems impossible to accomplish 6 custom wheels that have the same bolt pattern

I bought these, but then I'm an old school kind of guy! https://buytruckwheels.com/16x6-hub-piloted-alcoa-8-hole-polished-in-drive.html

160282a.jpg

Give them a call, I did and the call went directly to a guy who could help me with no hassle at all. Shipping was fast, and they were well packed so no damage upon arrival.

They also carry all the accessories, like lug nuts, center hubs, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles