Nissan 3.3 Engine

Lok47

Observer
This is my first post! I'm Andrew and live in Tempe, AZ. I'm graduating this summer from ASU and want to try my hand at some of this off road stuff! :)

How reliable is the Nissan 3.3 V6 found in the earlier Frontiers and 1st gen Xterras? I'm in the market to get my first truck. I'm planning on using it for light-medium off road travel and hauling my race bikes to and from the track in AZ, New Mexico, NV and CA. So, I need something reliable and able to pull a small-medium trailer. Or should I just opt for the Toyota route and check out the 4Runner and Tacomas?

Are there any known problems with the drive train? Anything to look for?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
It's pretty solid, not sure what else to say. It is based on the 3.0 6 cylinder engine (VG-30) that Nissan has used for years. The VG-33 is a refinement and evolution of that engine. The 3.5 is a whole new beast.

Find one that has been well cared for and you should be fine. Synthetic oil is a bonus, but it does okay without it.

I do have three things to caution you about though:
1. This is an engine that likes to rev. It is very happy in the 3500-4500 rpm range, not a lot of low end.
2. Starter and alternator sit very low in the engine and frequent water crossings that beyond hub deep should be avoided.
3. The engines tend to run a bit hot as they age, which can create shortened life for the clutch slave cylinder.

Also, they are not the most friendly to work on, but also not the worst. Do make sure you take it to a dealer or reputable shop for tune-ups and request that they give you the old plugs. Two spark plugs are very difficult to access and some shops won't change them and hope you don't notice.

They do burn a little oil and that is normal. Running synthetic I go through about a half quart or so every 5,000 miles. With dino oil it was about a half quart every 3,000 miles.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Yeah that's pretty much an accurate assessment. I have no major complaints. Just wish I had that 4.2 turbo diesel from Oz.

Hints...

1. don't bother with the Hiclone or other offbrand intakes - they don't contribute enough.

2. Get rid of the resonator on the drivers side fender.

3. Do either a cold-air intake or snorkle. Considering your location the CAI is probably a better idea. That stock airbox really chokes it down.

Other than that, there's not a lot more you can do to help it out.

Oh, and watch out for that number six spark plug. It's tricky to get out and I've been putting mine off for about two weeks now.

and Welcome to EW!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
My .02 is that you should look into an over sized oil filter for better capacity. Since that 6cyl is the same used in the maxima and all there cars it doen't have a big enough oil pan for hard use. If I remember right my wifes 2000 xterra was 3.5 quarts.

Hell the 4 cyl toyota takes alot more then that. That was my only concern with the motor overall. I felt it would hurt the longevity of the motor and that me be the case sine there are complaints about the motors running hot as they age. Frequent oil changes are you friend.

flywgn

Explorer
Welcome Lok47 to the Forum and congrats on your forthcoming graduation from ASU.

We're north of you up here in P'cott and we purchased an Xterra '01 a little over a year ago. I haven't begun to make any changes yet. It's a one-owner and it seems to be okay. I had it gone over by the local dealer as well as a mechanic (former enduro champion of years gone by) I respect and nothing is out of whack.

I am glad to read the comments above and will pay attention to them myself.

What kind of racing do you do? Our son-in-law is involved with KTM (SCORE, BITD, Dakar, etc.) and we just returned from the BITD TT250. Were you in Pahrump?

Allen Russell

Lok47

Observer
Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate it! Sounds like it is a PITA to work on from what I gather from your comments. Now the hard part is figuring out if i want to the Xterra or Frontier. How is the aftermarket for parts? Decisions, decisions...

Allen, I just got my license with CCS-SW doing road racing on my Yamaha SuperMotard. I plan on running races at Firebird & Arroyo Seco (NM) and probably some supermoto races with SupermotoUSA and SuperTT possibly. I'm no pro, but it's fun and something I enjoy doing! It also helps to make contacts in motorsports, since I'm looking to work in the industry when I graduate in August.

I haven't done much with off road racing, other than watching From Dust o Glory, but it seems like alot of fun!!! Is your son-in-law a rider or part of the team?

Andrew

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
What is the weight of the cargo and trailer you intend to tow?

What is your price range? This will allow people to make comparisons to other available vehicles.

Lok47

Observer
Well, price range is between 10-15k and the weight for towing should be less than 2000 lbs including trailer. I'm looking mainly for durability and reliability. Aside from towing, it'll be used for outdoor trips, camping, etc.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
My standard answer is that aftermarket options are limited, but I have never wanted anything that was not easily available. Both AC and Calmini are pretty fanatical about taking various Nissan's offroad and making parts that work well. There are a number of smaller shops that make specific parts -- like armor, suspension, or engine parts. Hell, AC helped build an Xterra that could drive itself (details on their site), I think they can help you find what you need. Mike and Jane are the owners and they are extremely knowledgeable, as for others, just stick with Mike or Jane and you will be fine. They used to have a very good forum, but last I checked it had been overrun by idiots and most of the knowledgeable people left.

Nullifier's comment about the oil filter relocation kit is spot on. I'm not sure it is necesary from a filtration stanpoint, but it makes oil changes much easier and faster. Basically it replaces the stock filter with a Ford 5.0L V8 size and you can mount it anywhere you have room.

Your comment about the engines being hard to work on may be a little off base. It is much easier than my friend's BMW E30 (BMW 325e), but somewhat harder than my old Saab. Basically it is a case of sticking a V6 in a space initially designed for a 4 cylinder. Let's just agree that it is a tight fit, but nothing over the top.

flywgn

Explorer
Lok47 said:
...I haven't done much with off road racing, other than watching From Dust o Glory, but it seems like alot of fun!!! Is your son-in-law a rider or part of the team?

Andrew

If you've seen D2G then you've seen our son-in-law. He's Andy Grider, the "B-Team" rider in that movie (the rider on the course while....ahem...took the "creative line" on the beach). Andy got a lot of good press because of it. He's also ridden (placed third overall) in the Rally-Raid in Tunisia last year and managed seven stages in this year's Dakar Rally before having a "bad get-off" and being air-vac'd out. Before that, he was Campbell's and Hengeveld's middle rider when they won the 2002 Baja 1000.

Sorry, I seem to be hi-jacking this thread. I've sent you my e-mail in a PM in case you want more info. :)

On Edit: The "PM" doesn't seem to be working. I'll try later. :(

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Maybe I need to explain my comments a bit further. I have essentially zero experience with Xterras and Frontiers, beyond that I would really like to have one. My daily driver and faithful offroad and expedition companion is a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder. My family has owned it since new and between my dad, my sister and me, we have added about 325,000 miles to the odometer. I switched it to synthetic oil at about 275,000 because I realized it was burning oil causing the engine to run hot.

Baby's awake. I'll write more later. Suffice to say, it has been very solid and I have no complaints.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
bigreen505 said:
Mike and Jane are the owners and they are extremely knowledgeable, as for others, just stick with Mike or Jane and you will be fine. They used to have a very good forum, but last I checked it had been overrun by idiots and most of the knowledgeable people left.
N

I agree. They can pretty much answer anything you need to know.

As for the forum, I must totally agree. There are still some of the old cronies that hang around - Brent, Andy, Brian and some others that I know only by handle - that are extremely helpful.

Visit them for Nissan parts WAY before you go anywhere else. I think there's also www.xterraparts.com - I know several peep's that pick up equipment from them as well.

Lok47

Observer
Allen, send me a PM when it's working. I'd really like to know more!

What company does Mike and Jane own again? Does this motor have the grunt to two a couple of bikes and haul a bunch of gear? Excuse me if I'm asking a lot of questions :). I'm a complete rookie to this stuff. I've never owned a truck, let alone taken one off road. I've got experience working on cars and bikes, so I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. Getting a truck seems like a fun way to get away from town on the weekends and still have the ability to support my two wheeled addicition.;)

How capable of a vehicle is the X/Frontier off road in stock form? What are the first modifications you would make?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Lok47 said:
What company does Mike and Jane own again?

Automotive Customizers, a.k.a. AC. http://www.4x4parts.com

Does this motor have the grunt to two a couple of bikes and haul a bunch of gear?

I don't know, I have never tried. My gut feeling is probably on flat ground but not really in mountains. All I pull with mine is a sail boat, and even fully loaded going to a regatta on the heavy trailer I'm sure the load is well under 1,000 lb (300 lb. boat, at least a 350 lb. trailer, probably 100+ lb. of sails, gear and tools). Plus two or three people with gear for a week. So that would be roughly 1000 in the trailer and 850 or so in the truck. My Pathfinder has 150 hp and about 180 ft. lb. of torque. I think the Xterras and Frontiers pull about 180 hp from the engine.

Excuse me if I'm asking a lot of questions :).

Questions are good and everyone here is friendly enough to answer them and smart enough to tell you when they don't know the answer.

How capable of a vehicle is the X/Frontier off road in stock form? What are the first modifications you would make?

As long as you are not trying to do anything stupid (stupid things usually start off with "Dude, watch this!" or "Dude, hold my beer while I try this") it will get you most places you need to go as long as the trail is dry. Mud changes things.

As far as improving a vehicle start with traction, armor and articulation. That means decent off road tires (decent is relative to the conditions you are most likely to see), armor means skid plates and rocker guards. For articulation and suspension modification I would go with a set of revolver shackles from AC and decent shocks. But The BN Guy can help a lot more. Also, ask Mike or Jane at AC, they won't steer you wrong. The question you want to ask them is "If I am going to take my X off road, what do you recommend that I buy and what steering components should be strengthened? Do I need an idler arm brace?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior