rtt and carrying stuff

for anybody running rtts how do you carry stuff like kayaks surf boards on your roof. I stand up paddle and would like to get a sleeping arrangement such as a rtt but also need too carry big stuff. Thoughts? that i why i like the flip pacs and similar things but 6000 and I don't want to tow a trailer. Thoughts?

FastGlass

Adventurer
Not sure about the others, but the struts used in the Baroud Explorer RTT are designed so you can carry some extra stuff on top of it...it even has tie downs already installed. I think the "extra" weight limit might be around 65lbs, but I could be wrong. I'm ordering this one from Craig at ok4wd in the spring...

rlynch356

Defyota
This same problem was pretty much leading me to the trailer idea...Put there RTT on It.
That works fine unless you need still more room in Tents for say Kids or friends .... then your back to square one for stuff like Kayaks, and SUP's.
If you need 2 Tents and Boards - then your options go down (Teardrop + RTT, Trailer RTT + Oztent, etc)

Right now my solution is an OzTent which is much bigger than any RTT but a ground tent, and still have room for boards/Firewood/etc... I'm starting to look at trailers which would give me an RTT + Oztent combo.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Only options would be a hard case RTT (but the load on top would be limited to a very light kayak or paddle board), extra long cross bars, or a trailer. Personally, I carry my paddle board on the roof of my trailer and have the RTT on the car. I think I might switch that this year so that I can use my trailer as a base camp in case I want to travel somewhere with the car but leave my RTT set up.

Septu

Explorer
I have my RTT (James Baroud) on a trailer to allow for my kayak on the jeep.
My friend (who has my old Tepui RTT) has long cross bars and mounted his canoe beside the RTT.

for anybody running rtts how do you carry stuff like kayaks surf boards on your roof. I stand up paddle and would like to get a sleeping arrangement such as a rtt but also need too carry big stuff. Thoughts? that i why i like the flip pacs and similar things but 6000 and I don't want to tow a trailer. Thoughts?

Hello,
James Baroud has the ability to carry skis,and surf boards on top of the tent. If you would like you can contact me at craigd@jamesbaroudusa.com I will be happy to assist you in anyway I can.

GFA

Adventurer
I've been thinking of this myself lately. I don't yet have an RTT but it's mainly because I'm not sure I want to haul my M416 everywhere I go. I have a Gobi rack that I haul the kayaks on and had thought of custom building hinged and removable crossbars that could carry the yaks just above the RTT but I'm not sure if I'd like having to remove the yaks every night to deploy the tent and height might also become an issue.

Maybe I'd be better off putting the tent on the trailer and the yaks above it on there also. It'd sure help with the fuel burn...

I've been thinking of this myself lately. I don't yet have an RTT but it's mainly because I'm not sure I want to haul my M416 everywhere I go. I have a Gobi rack that I haul the kayaks on and had thought of custom building hinged and removable crossbars that could carry the yaks just above the RTT but I'm not sure if I'd like having to remove the yaks every night to deploy the tent and height might also become an issue.

Maybe I'd be better off putting the tent on the trailer and the yaks above it on there also. It'd sure help with the fuel burn...

I know we have some guys that have a trailer and they put the tent on top of the rack and put the kayaks on the bottom of the rack or on the sides.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Overcamp

PC027772.jpgPA267738.jpg20141025_092023.jpgGood luck finding one. I'm still waiting on them to get me some accessories for mine.... Great tent though. I miss my Eezi Awn hotel that I had on my Jeep but being able to sling a 14' kayak on the roof is worth the loss of space IMHO especially since I mostly travel solo.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
LJ setup

The old Jeep setup.... Was contemplating trying to finagle some Kayak mounting system for the space next to the tent but that ship sailed....

Attachments

• P3210829.jpg
    P3210829.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20140321_133658-1.jpg
    20140321_133658-1.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20131020_085758.jpg
    20131020_085758.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 52

Lucky j

Explorer
This was my fisrt attemp /version to carry 2 kayaks and the RTT. The Nissan in front is my DD
To high in my mind, but a paddle board would make the RTT lower. Kayak are pretty thick and they are on Holly roller and cradle from Yakima. So about 3" more in hight.
Trailer avec kayak.jpg

Version 2.0
Much better in my mind for me anyway. Lower but wider and the trailer tongue for my kayak as to be extended. Do not want to carry stuff on the top of the jeep when I have the trailer. But if needed I could do the 2.0 on top of the Jeep or top of the Nissan with wide bars, but catching Wind big time
DSC00197-1.jpg

Notice that the bike are on the trailer tongue on version 2 with standard hicth back rack that can be transferd to the jeep in base camp is set.

But any how, this is not perfect yet, so still in evolution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior