rtt and carrying stuff

Xbcasey

Adventurer
Most roof top tents open to the side, all you need are crossbars in front of and behind the tent that sit a few inches higher than the folded tent. Then any long objects like kayaks, canoes, SUP's, etc can sit right above the tent without touching it. Of course you will have to unload whatever is on the crossbars to deploy the tent, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

jungblud

Observer
The reason I'm going to a trailer is the camp trap, primarily. Once you are set up, you no longer have a vehicle without breaking camp. This extends to beyond just the convenience; if there was a serious emergency it might cost valuable minutes to break camp even in the most minimal sense.

The other factor is taking more than just 2 people. Beyond that, there rapidly isn't enough space for gear and toys.

With my family of 4, both of these facets point hard to a trailer.

My 2 cents,
Tim

Lucky j

Explorer
Most roof top tents open to the side, all you need are crossbars in front of and behind the tent that sit a few inches higher than the folded tent. Then any long objects like kayaks, canoes, SUP's, etc can sit right above the tent without touching it. Of course you will have to unload whatever is on the crossbars to deploy the tent, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

If you reverse and put the kayak/board/canoe under the tent, you will not have to removee anything to open the tent.. It might be higher, but it is way more convinient. I've tried it, and not having to removee the stuff you do not need to be able to make camp for a night is way better than habing to take everything off.

I'd rather go with my version 2.0, but if not possible would take tent over in a version let say 1.1 (than my first set-up)

But it is also a mather of preferences. ;)

VictorSmalls

Observer
Not a jeep per say, but this is what I have come up with on my KA

Not easy to get my boats up that high, but I can still do them myself. The rollers help for sure then I just stand on the bumper and flip them over.

1v6pony

Adventurer
Have not finished mine yet, but I have my RTT on a trailer, the top of the tent is the same height as the top of the tow rig, I am making load bars for my kayak to be on top of the tent. the kayak height is basically the same height as if it was on on tow rig.
It is a large Big Tuna two man kayak. I think this will create the lest drag and keep the COG lower.
Will post a photo, once I get to do some more welding.
I am also going to make a collapsible style trailer to get the boat to the water, it is heavy once loaded, trolling motor and full size battery.

UpperLeft86

Not easy to get my boats up that high, but I can still do them myself. The rollers help for sure then I just stand on the bumper and flip them over.

I'm trying to figure out a way to carry two SUPs on top of a RTT (on a Bajarack) ... something like this is looking like the best option. Anyone else have something easier, or maybe something that wouldn't require permanent additions to my rack?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
for anybody running rtts how do you carry stuff like kayaks surf boards on your roof. I stand up paddle and would like to get a sleeping arrangement such as a rtt but also need too carry big stuff. Thoughts? that i why i like the flip pacs and similar things but 6000 and I don't want to tow a trailer. Thoughts?

I've been trying to come up with some sort of solution for a trailer and RTT set up my self. I have come to the conclusion that I will most likely build a bracket which bolts to the front and back bottom frame section of the trailer and be tipped off to the side to load a Canoe or to open the RTT which will sit under the bracket when its tipped up with boat loaded and in road mode. Thats one idea. However I like the idea of having a awning so a RTT rack which can be raised or is raised to start with that would have a socket of some type on each end to allow a "T" style rack fitting mounted to set a canoe or kayak on is another on of my rough ideas. Either way it seems you need to get creative with a rack that can be removed or flipped out of the way of the RTT so you can open the tent or if your gear is short enough ie length wise you can stow it under the RTT and over the gear trailer etc.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If you reverse and put the kayak/board/canoe under the tent, you will not have to removee anything to open the tent.. It might be higher, but it is way more convinient. I've tried it, and not having to removee the stuff you do not need to be able to make camp for a night is way better than habing to take everything off.

I'd rather go with my version 2.0, but if not possible would take tent over in a version let say 1.1 (than my first set-up)

But it is also a mather of preferences. ;)

^ Agreed and thats the part I struggle with. The side J rack idea with it mounted lower than the RTT floor would possibly work in this manner where you can keep the hull locked up and stowed yet still pop the RTT so you can crash after a late arrival etc.
My alternate idea is a flip down rack that pivots from the trailer frame front and back and off to the side. In theory letting you pivot the canoe or kayak off to the side sill mounted to the cradles and simply leave it mounted and pop open the RTT - this approach would allow you to keep the RTT lower on the deck of the trailer and position the hull up top. Seems like every idea so far has its advantages and a few disadvantages. LOL

Septu

Explorer
I've been trying to come up with some sort of solution for a trailer and RTT set up my self. I have come to the conclusion that I will most likely build a bracket which bolts to the front and back bottom frame section of the trailer and be tipped off to the side to load a Canoe or to open the RTT which will sit under the bracket when its tipped up with boat loaded and in road mode. Thats one idea. However I like the idea of having a awning so a RTT rack which can be raised or is raised to start with that would have a socket of some type on each end to allow a "T" style rack fitting mounted to set a canoe or kayak on is another on of my rough ideas. Either way it seems you need to get creative with a rack that can be removed or flipped out of the way of the RTT so you can open the tent or if your gear is short enough ie length wise you can stow it under the RTT and over the gear trailer etc.

If you're going to go with a raised rack for the RTT, could you not have it so it raises high enough to load a canoe or kayak under it? Like what Crush Jeep did. I know it would be less than ideal to have the RTT that high while in transit... but if it lets you pack the RTT and boat without having to move one to setup the other...

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-build-my-brother-and-I/page2?highlight=crush

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
Getta trailer and a roof rack for the jeep--no problems

I carry an air tent (Airzone)/RTT/duck boat and use the jeep rack for the boat-

maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20038_zpsljmv42kz.jpg

maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20032_zpsoedkpmaa.jpg

maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20033%20-%20Copy_zpseu8do6z6.jpg

Where there's a will, there's a way-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I don't think I've ever seen this idea on a Jeep, but it shows up fairly regularly in the Land Rover magazines I subscribe to - a long roof rack that goes over the hood. Obviously this isn't a true RTT, but there would be plenty of room for an RTT and cargo on a rack like this. In the March 2017 issue of Land Rover Owner International:

LongRoofRack_zpsoalvjsyk.jpg

NatePerry03

I'm looking to mount my kayaks with a roof top tent as well. Just don't know how to do it. Explain what you did please

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles