ExPo 70 Series Registry

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Is it a 3B or 13BT motor? If it's the 3B I'd look into ATX turbo kits from Oz. That will add serious drive-ability to your rig. Congrats on the new toy!

tominhull

yeah, its a 3b. the turbo kit is on the list but its actually pretty ok for driving around town. the list of stuff it needs is pretty long and starts with suspension, the turbo is down around #42. it does alright and will go 75 on the highway but 65 is definitely more of where it wants to be. Its actually very relaxing to be in a car that cant go fast, especially around boston, I dont get caught up trying to race everybody anymore.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yeah, you can't get into race mode with a 3B! But as a plus, they will run off the smell from an oily rag!

Taconate

Observer
Well figure I should probably update this... Heres my Cruiser a couple weeks ago, has an ARB Bumper, Lightforce Blitz lights, LED ditch lights, and my 24v 10,000lbs Kingone winch on the way!

IMG_1991.jpg

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Teaser Pic

Arriving soon! Been a few months in the making.

DSCN0061.JPG

Dueller

Name: XPL0RE
Year/Model: 2014, VDJ76, Workmate
Country of import: Australia
Kms/Miles: 1000kms
Options/Specs: Factory air conditioning and tow ball
Mods:
ARB Deluxe Bullbar
VRS 12,500lb synthetic rope winch
Lightforce Genesis Spotlights (Halogen)
ARB scrub bars and steps
Rhino Rack alloy Tradie roof rack
RidePRO 50mm suspension lift
Redback 3" exhaust with resonator option
Redarc DCDC dual battery system
Redarc Tow Pro electric brake system
Couplertech 4 pad electric rust resistance system
GME UHF antenna
Car Interiors centre roof console - Will house UHF, also to be completed
Outback Solutions twin draw kit
MSA 50l drop down fridge slide
Extended diff, transmission and transfer case breathers
ARB under bonnet compressor
Safari once piece snorkle
Tinting
Installed a Toyota dash clock and ambient temp sensor from a GXL
Upgraded the original headlight bulbs to Phillips Xtreme Vision H4's
Slim line weather shields
Bonnet and headlight protectors
Phone aerial
Front end recovery points
Superior Engineering radiator, diff and transfer guards
Dash mat
Black Duck canvas seat covers
Waeco CF 11 fridge where the old center console use to live (BEST MOD EVER)
Sandgrabber front floor mats
Autostrada cruise control kit
Newpro - Tech turbo timer
Fuel Manager primary fuel filter
Scanguage II
Hema HN7 GPS
TaipanXP oil catch can
Solar Screen cargo area sun shades
Eaton rear electric locker
TJM flare kit
Reverse camera
120W solar panel an regulator
Center roof console and GME UHF unit
10W LED work light at the rear of the rack
Ironman awning
High lift jack and shovel holder mount on the rack
Cargo barrier
Custom made centre console with battery monitor and accessory outlets
Department of Interior overhead center roof console
Department of Interior fiberglass, large, front door pockets
Mini 0806 dash camera
Rhino Rack kayak carrier
Plans:
Front electric locker

IMG_4560.JPG
Powerlines.JPG
CarCamper.JPG

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
great to see this sub-forum finally recognizing the 70's. I hadn't really participated here previously due to the lack of 70's owners.

95% of members here are in the continental USA. No 70s were imported there by Toyota. Canada got BJ70s from '85-'87, but that's it for North America. You are seeing more here now because the USA import rule is for vehicles 25 years old or older, and 70 series now fit that requirement. I'm sure they will become much more common.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
1989 HJ75 2H with aftermarket turbo
630k km's - engine rebuilt by PO in Australia
TJM Bull Bar

Picked it up from AusToUSA. It's currently en-route to Florida from Washington. More updating when it gets here (scheduled to arrive this Saturday). Already ordered a snorkel, OEM belts, hoses, filters, and set of Toyo MT's in 255/85R16 size. Had some questionable rust repairs done to the body by the previous owner but I'm prepared to tackle that. Frame looks rust free and generally seems to be a pretty solid truck. Plans include removing that silly looking visor from the front window, rust repair and paint, an OME lift, roof rack to hold my roof top tent, and interior camping/storage ideas.

DSC01849_zps4b966775.jpg

damienperu

Observer
Plans include removing that silly looking visor from the front window...

oh your not going to remove the granny hat are you?! :) that's what we used to refer to them as. they are an OEM part and are actually very useful in tropical climates as it keeps the sun high in the sky from destroying the dashtop.

If you weren't on another continent, I'd happily buy it from you!

i see you also have the rear ventilation loover modification to vent the engine bay, i had that on my first 1988 HJ75, at the time i didn't think twice about it, but later in life i realized that it probably wasn't OEM and must have been done by a previous owner. I've since seen it on one other HJ75, so it might be a common modification done by a few particular australian mechanics (maybe just in the tropical north) to keep the temperatures down. if you get a chance to have a look, i'd like to know if the cutout looks factory to confirm what i think... either way I'd suggest you take it out and have a look, as being a modification there's a chance the hole they cut wasn't painted or rustproofed as well as what you'd expect from factory.

cheers,

damienperu

Observer
95% of members here are in the continental USA. No 70s were imported there by Toyota. Canada got BJ70s from '85-'87, but that's it for North America. You are seeing more here now because the USA import rule is for vehicles 25 years old or older, and 70 series now fit that requirement. I'm sure they will become much more common.

yeah i think you guys are just past or on the brink of being able to import the 70's of the 1HZ variety, they are legendary and a much better investment than the previous diesels. i remember a number of people on IH8mud counting down a while ago. not saying the H's are bad, just that the 1HZ was a huge improvement in efficiency and reliability, 25 years of production (to date) has proved that, and as they're still in production there are no issues whatsoever for parts, nor should there be for many years to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier