Adventure

Globatrol

Observer
Hi to all the Expo members out there!

After an amazing 8 months on the road my partner and I finally have some good internet coverage and some time to catch up on whats happening in the overland community! It's fantastic to see so many adventurous travellers out there taking the time to post great trip reports along with detailed info for others to enjoy.

Now that we are up to date with reading all the cool posts on Expo, along with researching some of the amazing destinations we have ahead of us via this great site! We thought we'd share a link to our latest youtube vid about the first part of our journey from Vladivostok to Tajikistan. It can be hard in the planning stages of any long journey and I just thought it might help as a little inspiration to those preparing for there next overland journey!

I know that watching footage of other travellers journeys helped us keep up the momentum.

I'm sure the great trip reports and info will keep on coming and we will keep singing the praises of the Expedition Portal community as such a great resource!

Our website: www.globatrol.com youtube link is: http://youtu.be/pDVLRPUWzyE

Merry Christmas to all and have a magnificent new year..

Hope to see you on Earth somewhere..

Cheers Justin and Jen.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Hey Justin and Jen thats a great video, its good to see some Sandgroupers travelling out of Aus and especially in a very nicely decked out Patrol.

Merry Christmas and who knows may see ya in the new year somewhere....

Globatrol

Observer
Thanks for the comments Muzza, it's surprising just how many Aussies are are on foreign soils with their Aussie trucks! Nice looking Cruiser you have there, worth taking the time to get the set up the way you want it to be! Enjoy your future adventures and yep you never know we may just cross paths somewhere on Earth! it's not all that big after all.... cheers....

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Thanks for the comments Muzza, it's surprising just how many Aussies are are on foreign soils with their Aussie trucks! Nice looking Cruiser you have there, worth taking the time to get the set up the way you want it to be! Enjoy your future adventures and yep you never know we may just cross paths somewhere on Earth! it's not all that big after all.... cheers....

Yeah I am in no real rush to deck it out just yet, just getting ideas together and seeing what will and wont work. Also moving house so I need the flat tray for now. Safe travels and keep us up to date with pics and blogs :)

Cheers

Scott

jeepovich

Explorer
Well here I am, in US watching all kinds of Australian off road videos and drooling over the diesel power touring rigs you guys have. Meanwhile a couple of Australians took one of those diesels to the land where I was born! Thank you for sharing it with us. On your website, I see you were in Saint Petersburg (my home town) and took a picture of Hermitage museum...oh the memories it brings back :)
When I left Russia, I was too young to drive. Now 30 years later, when I watch youtube videos it seems like driving in Russia is like being in a car crashing olympics. How was it?

Touring Australian out back is on my bucket list

Last edited:

Globatrol

Observer
HI there

For us we have been watching youtube videos of cool Rigs in the US in the Mojave and Baja and so on, I suppose it's the same for us watching in from afar!!

Hopefully be there next year..

You have to love youtube driving videos!! Honestly MOST Russian Drivers are nowhere near as bad as they are portrayed! But they can be very unpredictable!

Rules can be vague and there is a lot of tailgating.. I found some of the Highways to be the most dangerous, many of the roads are not in very good condition and frequented by long convoys of large trucks travelling fast, they are very scary at times..

We saw 7 accidents within the first week of arriving in Vladivostok, a little disconcerting..

Moscow can be erratic and fast, when you don't know where you are going it can be pretty stressful!! - I can attest to that. But traffic does generally flow OK! Only witnessed a few accidents in Moscow, but they are frequent..

All Across Russia we met fantastic people and had an awesome time travelling there..

The Hermitage certainly is an amazing place and St Petersburg is a magnificent city.

If Australia is on your to do list, when it happens make sure and look us up and we will organise some 4x4 trips!!

by - Jusitn.

jeepovich

Explorer
Jusitn, if you guys will be passing San Diego or south California in general on your US tour, let me know! We have a lot of mountain and desert 4x4 tracks here. Plenty of ocean view RV camps (they are pricey though) and primitive (free) camping in desert/mountain area. The only thing to keep in mind is that during winters it is too cold in the mountains for primitive camping(bellow freezing and a lot of snow), while during summer it is too hot in the desert (120F).

Globatrol

Observer
Thanks for the offer and the advice, Probably arrive on the East Coast around the beginning of April 2016 is the rough thinking at the moment, hope to see a little of Canada and maybe some of Alaska. Expect to head down the west coast from there!

We met a couple in a Land Rover Discovery in Mongolia, http://travels.caroline-and-stephen.com that had travelled through China and finished their journey in the UK! They live in San Francisco and we hope to meet up with them again before continueing south through your neighbourhood, so we will be in touch. Mountain and Desert trails is all about I need to hear to keep me motivated!

cheers for now - Justin.

PS: Thanks Maxcustody for the comment, really appreciate it! Love those Jeeps too by the way..

Last edited:

jeepovich

Explorer
I can't stop reading the journals on your website (almost finished ):coffee:. I was late to work because of it. I like your style of writing with a nice mix of humor. Wish you guys all of the best and safe travels. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne