Thread: Honeymoon in Chile - Where should we go?

Default Honeymoon in Chile - Where should we go?

It's a little late, but I figured I'd ask the forum. My new wife and I will be spending 3 weeks exploring around Chile and wanted to ask the forum any good excursions and places to visit. We want to seek out some amazing landscapes but hope to avoid a lot of the overly tourist places.

Right now, we'll be in Santiago until Jan-1 and then Punta Arenas through Jan 7 and then driving from Puerto Montt to Santiago in the not-most direct route possible from Jan 8-Jan 17. Any ideas where to visit on the road trip? Should I rent 4 wheel drive or should we just go 2? Does anyone have a reliable 4x4 I can borrow?

I own a 1964 Unimog 404.1 but unfortunately couldn't take enough time to make that work for this trip. So I just consider this trip a precursor to a much longer road trip in a couple years with that. All suggestions and vehicle rentals welcome!

Cheers,
    David
    Last edited by The Uniblog; 12-25-2014 at 01:12 AM.
    - -
    1964 Unimog 404.1

For more up-to-date progress - follow me on Instagram!
    instagram.com/theuniblog

LA County Certified Emergency Medical Technician
    Outdoor Emergency Care
    Mountain Travel and Rescue I certified
    National Ski Patrol Member

David, sent you a private message, check it out !!!
    JP
    2000 Nissan Patrol Y61 4.5lt , 4" OME lift kit, 35" Cooper STT, ARB bull bar, ARB roof rack, Safari Snorkel, IPF 900XS

Web : http://sites.google.com/site/jpsnissangupatrol/

Thanks! Just responded!
    - -
    1964 Unimog 404.1

For more up-to-date progress - follow me on Instagram!
    instagram.com/theuniblog

LA County Certified Emergency Medical Technician
    Outdoor Emergency Care
    Mountain Travel and Rescue I certified
    National Ski Patrol Member

This far , wheather has been amazing in southern Chile, over 90F and no cloud .... water sports, mountain biking , etc.

Excuse the quality , its a cell phone picture ....

JP
    2000 Nissan Patrol Y61 4.5lt , 4" OME lift kit, 35" Cooper STT, ARB bull bar, ARB roof rack, Safari Snorkel, IPF 900XS

Web : http://sites.google.com/site/jpsnissangupatrol/

The weather from Santiago to Puerto Montt was great when I was there a few weeks back. Unseasonably nice. You should have a great time. I didn't explore long enough to know the not-touristy places but I gather there are some great beach towns plus some good National Parks inland. Might try to hit the Maipo valley east of Santiago. I didn't make it there but hear its quite beautiful but maybe a bit crowded being so close to santiago.
    '97 lx450, 180k, lockers, ome 850/863, fox, arb, ep9, 285 [Yoko I/T's|Nitto TG's], 4 working doors(1 more than the old fj55 ) My South America road trip, http://hobogoesrogue.wordpress.com

I am looking for some information also as I am planning a trip for 2016.
    1993 VW Eurovan MV Weekender Westfalia 5cyl 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBaobab View Post
    Then again, there is something magical about getting trough impossible obstacles. The improvisation, the stress, the hard labour.. Great stuff! A winch would kinda spoil the fun ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by coax View Post
    The weather from Santiago to Puerto Montt was great when I was there a few weeks back. Unseasonably nice. You should have a great time. I didn't explore long enough to know the not-touristy places but I gather there are some great beach towns plus some good National Parks inland. Might try to hit the Maipo valley east of Santiago. I didn't make it there but hear its quite beautiful but maybe a bit crowded being so close to santiago.
    First of all I like to share with you here that we can enjoy many things and most of the travel there, but now I am going to have to spend my moments on the destination of the Maipo valley with my friends, but now I want to see some images of this Maipo valley. I will wait for all of your replies here and then try to soon go there for enjoying myself there...