Mountain Bikes

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I am in the market for a new mountain bike. I think my 1997 Trek has seen its last mile. My front fork has a death wobble, and my seat bridge is bent, and neither tire can hold air for more than a day with out oozing slime out of the cactus poked tube, on the bent wheels.

I am not an extreme biker and was wondering if you had any input on a newer bike. I have always wanted a Y frame, but since then technology has changed... I am looking for decent and cheap(er) entry to intermediate level bike. Any suggestions?

Another option would be to keep my frame and rebuild it.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Specialized Enduro is a great bike, I have the Enduro Pro. There are several different versions depending on components. I have taken mine on every thing from downhill at Big Bear, CA to a ride around the block. Its a great all-round platform.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
flyingwil said:
I am in the market for a new mountain bike. I think my 1997 Trek has seen its last mile. My front fork has a death wobble, and my seat bridge is bent, and neither tire can hold air for more than a day with out oozing slime out of the cactus poked tube, on the bent wheels.

I am not an extreme biker and was wondering if you had any input on a newer bike. I have always wanted a Y frame, but since then technology has changed... I am looking for decent and cheap(er) entry to intermediate level bike. Any suggestions?
Another option would be to keep my frame and rebuild it.

When you say your seat bridge is bent, do you mean the bridge between the two seat stays is actually bent? How'd that happen (gotta know, that's an odd place for damage without destroying the frame). If it's the case, then I'd say the frame is probably done. But I would point out that if the frame is OK and fits well, it is possible to fix it up. For less money than a new bike (might not necessarily be /a lot/ cheaper), you could rebuild yours into a pretty nice bike.

But, yes, the Trek 'Y' frames are very old suspension technology. The designs now are much better.

About what price range are you looking at? The $1500 range (give or take, mostly a little higher) is packed with some really great bikes. If you are looking for a full suspension bike, I would avoid going below $1000, too many compromises. Best to probably start by checking out the big guys, like the Specialized FSR, Giant Trance, Trek Fuel. See what's out there. I do agree with ChuckB that the Enduro is a great bike, too. There are lots of really nice bikes out there right now.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I bought a Giant Rainer several years ago. It is a hardtail with a decent front shock. It has Shimano components and disc brakes. I only paid around $600 for it at the time. I've had no problems with the bike.

If you are like me and don't use your bike often, I would not spend a ton of money. You may find some nice used deals too.

flyingwil

DaveInDenver said:
When you say your seat bridge is bent, do you mean the bridge between the two seat stays is actually bent? How'd that happen (gotta know, that's an odd place for damage without destroying the frame).

It was in a crash off a 15' cliff. What a pain to recover it...

DaveInDenver said:
If it's the case, then I'd say the frame is probably done. But I would point out that if the frame is OK and fits well, it is possible to fix it up. For less money than a new bike (might not necessarily be /a lot/ cheaper), you could rebuild yours into a pretty nice bike.

The frame is ok, at least I think... but it is old and weighs a ton...

DaveInDenver said:
But, yes, the Trek 'Y' frames are very old suspension technology. The designs now are much better.

About what price range are you looking at? The $1500 range (give or take, mostly a little higher) is packed with some really great bikes. If you are looking for a full suspension bike, I would avoid going below $1000, too many compromises. Best to probably start by checking out the big guys, like the Specialized FSR, Giant Trance, Trek Fuel. See what's out there. I do agree with ChuckB that the Enduro is a great bike, too. There are lots of really nice bikes out there right now.

I actually had my eye on this one, but am not sure if it is the one for me...

UncleChris

Adventurer
I have a Fuel 80 that I have changed just about every component on. It is an awesome Cross Country bike(yes I am a bit biased, I am a cheesehead!)

Depending on what you want to do......

I also have a Specialized P2, great huck bike and kicks booty on the dual slalom course( have gone through a few seats...ouch). Great in the skateboard park.....

My current favorite though is my Planet X Armadillo. Allows me to go a ways, then start jumping off stuff.......:hehe:

Look into keeping the frame and rebuilding from scratch. Fairly easy if you work on your truck(but get a new torque wrench). There are a number of places that have good bike parts for fairly cheap.

flyingwil

UncleChris said:
I have a Fuel 80 that I have changed just about every component on. It is an awesome Cross Country bike(yes I am a bit biased, I am a cheesehead!)

Me too! I have even been to the Trek plant a few times.

UncleChris

Adventurer
Fellow Cheesehead?

Cool.

Last time I was at the Trek factory I got to see Lance's maimed bike from a few years ago, the one with the cracked chainstay.

What kind of shape is your bike frame in?Although the 15' cliff jump might say it all.

Do you want to go with discs(my recommendation) If so, you might need a new Disc friendly frame(fork)

It is kind of fun to rebuild old bikes(a lot less expensive than the truck)

Check out

www.nashbar.com
www.pricepoint.com
www.coloradocyclist.com

OR all the mfgs make really good low-mid bikes. The real differences are the components. If you are an upgrader, buy a cheap bike with a good frame and upgrade the components. If you are not a tinkerer, get what you want initially.

Also keep in mind your weight. I am heavy(225#s). Trek says that their bikes are designed for 190#s. If you are going to beat on it, don't get a bike that has already been beaten by unknown quantities.

If you are light and just want to do cross country(non-competitive) you can get a fairly sturdy frame used and rebuild the components as needed.

Hope that helps!

Good luck with it!

BTW I put 2.35 conti tubeless on my Fuel, it does great in mud and loose!

You can go with Shimano XT at a reasonable price, SRAM, but make sure that you go with Discs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94