Mercedes VARIO 614D 4X4 in RUSSIA

LukeH

Adventurer
Depens on how much has been stripped off it. the disposal auctions go up to 3000 Euros for a runner, and less than 1000 Euros for a wreck. Thing is the axles are so solid that even a rolled one is fine. In a few months' time I'll be buying some for this purpose.
Only point that could be an issue is the diff is in the middle of the front axle. Only way to find out if it can be solved is to try.
Oh and I learnt yeaterday on Pirate that the disks off one of the standard dana axles fit straight on :).

To get bacl to the OP, That huge stack of shims is an easy way of lifting, but would promote "tramping". Tramping is not only unpleasant for the vehicule and driver, it is very hard on the drive shaft. Dropping the spring bracket down off the chassis keeping the leaves as close to the axle as possible would greatly improve the behaviour on and off road. Great job with what's available though.

thebigblue

Adventurer
Depens on how much has been stripped off it. the disposal auctions go up to 3000 Euros for a runner, and less than 1000 Euros for a wreck. Thing is the axles are so solid that even a rolled one is fine. In a few months' time I'll be buying some for this purpose.

EUR 3000 for a nice TRM 2000 sound very reasonable compared to a 4x4 MAN or a Mercedes truck....

LukeH

Adventurer
EUR 3000 for a nice TRM 2000 sound very reasonable compared to a 4x4 MAN or a Mercedes truck....

Except they're 4 cyl 135 hp short geared short arsed kangaroos! They cruise at 80km/h and the engine's screaming at 90km/h.
2.7m wheelbase for 2.7m tall; taller if you build a custom box on them. And there's no headroom in the cab; a big bump and you bang your head. Cab roof extensions are commonplace.

That said they are very good everywhere except deep sand, where the lack of horses means you can't get much momentum up. Quite a lot of french crews are RTWing in them cos they're so cheap and manoeuvrable.

I guess if you stay below 8 tonnes stretching the chassis would be easy.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
So why not extend the chassis on the TRM? Would that not be easier that hacking the axles into a Vario?

BTW - Based on my super extensive research (3 minutes googling) I think the GVW for the TRM is closer to 6.5t. That might be a little tight.

LukeH

Adventurer
This thread is witness to the attractiveness of the Vario as a base vehicle.
John Speed got through quite a few vehicles before he settled on the vario for the build he wrote his book on. OK he's moved on since but the arguments in favour of the Vario rest valid. As a van it's good and boxy with a very good space compromise.
Many people don't want a box on the back of a lorry, which is what the trm will end up being; even stretched.
Another candidate was the iveco ford Van so popular with mx racers, but finding a clean one of those to convert is much trickier these days.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Yea agree with all of that. I'm really interested in this. When I'm next in France in the campervan we need to meet to discuss this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles