Premium & High End Ice Chests & Coolers Reviews

Kevin108

Explorer
I have a 15-year-old Coleman 5 day that has proven competitive with a $200+ cooler. I'm happy to keep using what I've got.

One tip on the Coleman coolers: you can upgrade to stainless steel hinges for less than $10. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141321943261
81GrhChfm%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Are they that much better than a budget-friendly Coleman 5 Day cooler?
Yes, but the old Coleman or Igloo may be all that you need. Add a bulb seal or gasket around the underside of the Coleman lid and a bungee cord across the top to keep the lid snug and that improves performance considerably. Just about any rotomolded cooler will be better than the Coleman by a decent margin, so choose your cooler based on price and physical configuration. Some are short/fat, some tall/skinny, some with handles that stick out too far to fit your ideal location, some with gear bags attached, some with standard interior baskets, some with optional baskets, etc.. Get what you want, because you will have it for a long time.

Kevin108

Explorer
The secret is usually using multiple coolers. Food can go in the smaller, most heavily-insulated cooler that is only opened at meal times. A larger, possibly less-insulated cooler can be used for your beverages, seating, step stool, etc.

TripLeader

Explorer
TripLeader, did you ever find a new cooler?

No, I did like the other recent posts showed. I bought some replacement hinges made of plastic and put a bungee across the top.

My final evaluation was that the cooler still worked, but needed a few tweaks. The size of it was right for storing in the Jeep. I also did not want to have to worry about someone stealing a $400 cooler from me. I doubt my 10+ year old Wal-Mart cooler would have that problem.

troutbum1

High or Low end cooler

I remember reading a tip somewhere quite awhile ago that the author suggested soaking a towel in water that covered the lid of whatever cooler you have and storing that in the shade to slow the melting ice. Just a thought especially if you're camping on a beach or desert where trees may be hard to come by for shade.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I remember reading a tip somewhere quite awhile ago that the author suggested soaking a towel in water that covered the lid of whatever cooler you have and storing that in the shade to slow the melting ice. Just a thought especially if you're camping on a beach or desert where trees may be hard to come by for shade.

We do this in Moab and does help a lot.

beachbum2020

Observer
I love my Orion cooler made by Jackson Kayaks. Another Yeti clone but nearly equal in function. Can tell no difference in length of time either hold ice. Comes with built in bottle openers on all four corners unlike Yeti's being an additional purchase. Certified bear proof etc., etc., etc. Anyway, just something comparable yet different and with more color choices. Haven't pulled out my Yeti for a full year now and don't expect to anytime soon as I continue putting it through its paces.
IMG_2022.jpg

FJOE

Regular Dude
I have Yeti's Engels, and RTICs. I recently got an RTIC softpak 20 and it's awesome for the beach and quick road trips. One of my coolers acts as an auxiliary fridge at my camp, never leaves the house. The others I travel with. My Engel Deep Blue 35 has been on my balcony in Israel since Nov 23rd, and I drain the water and put two small bags of ice in it every Friday. It's held ice ever since. It's March 2nd.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
These are what I call .. first world problems. :coffeedrink: But ya these upgraded coolers are awesome. I threw away all my old crappy coolers and donated one or two decent ones. Replacing them all every few months with something top of the line or at least a top of the line knockoff like RTIC. The Yeti, Ozark Trail, Engel and RTIC all are similar to me. You get used to having ice just simply last longer and the coolers being bombproof. Plus.. the cheaper coolers usually have crappy hinges and latches that break. That drives me NUTS! The last straw for me was an Igloo "5 day" I got from Costco where the latch mechanism broke after one trip. I have heard of Yetis being targeted by thieves lately, which I think is a hangable offence here in New Mexico, along with horse rustling. Anyhow, cheers...

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I have a yeti roadie for a beer cooler. Overkill for a beer cooler. But I got tired of replacing ice twice a day in the cheapo Playmate cooler I was using. The thing is built like a tank. You can use dry ice in it. While that's not a feature a lot of people might use, it speaks to the quality. I'm sure the cooler is going to outlast me.

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to keeping beer cold. Just sayin' :beer:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Of course, there's this from the dark side: http://www.equipt1.com/i/fridges/indel-b

I have a 51L model mounted to a DIY slide-out and it's been very nice. The price has gone up to $600, but smaller options cost less; the only difference is the interior volume. Same compressor system as ARB and National Luna use, but at a much lower price point. My plan is to add solar charging to my roof rack, so I can leave the fridge on while away backpacking. It's not for everyone, but if you're tired of buying ice, it's worth a look.

Not what the thread is about but thanks, we are all well aware of the dozens of threads comparing coolers to fridges/freezers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles