Premium & High End Ice Chests & Coolers Reviews

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
This reminds me of the camp chair thread where someone suggested buying $8.99 Walmart chairs and just replacing them every year.
Hey, don't knock the WalMart camp chairs. I drove over one with my truck a few years ago, bent it back into shape and it still works, although ugly. Bought a fresh one this morning for $5.37 on clearance.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Hey, don't knock the WalMart camp chairs. I drove over one with my truck a few years ago, bent it back into shape and it still works, although ugly. Bought a fresh one this morning for $5.37 on clearance.

I meant it more towards cheap equipment that doesn't last and Walmart chairs were the only thing that came to mind when I wrote it. When this forum first started, there was a big discussion about cheap for the sake of cheap vs buying the best quality you can afford. I've had WalMart chairs that have lasted for a very long time and then I've had the same make chair not last even a year. I'm a big fan of buying the best quality you can afford to buy to keep it out of our landfills. But I've been there as a single dad, only being able to afford Walmart stuff. Nothing wrong with that, just upgrade to better quality as you can afford it. I'm a conservative who loves our earth :)

Cletus26

Adventurer
Hey Cletus

It is 30" x 18 3/4" at the lid, 29" x 16 3/4" at the base and 19 1/2" tall. This is for the 80L.
f0e684b68ac8592ffcc82b1d732efc8b.jpg

Thanks. Damn. I've only got 17 7/8" height

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I've only got 17 7/8" height
If that one has rubber feet, just take them off and that might allow it to fit your space. My Orcas came with rubber feet on the corners and I just unscrewed them to make the loaded chests easier to slide in and out of the truck.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
I have to be honest, after our second trip with this Woods cooler I am seriously wondering if it is worth it. I froze a 2L pop bottle and 2L milk jug plus one frozen divider and 2 bags of crushed ice. We were in and out of this cooler a lot more this trip, I'd say a normal amount for us. The 2L containers were still partially frozen but all the ice cubes had melted and we still had a hot dog water mess to deal with after 5 days. Yes it has a bin up top to keep stuff out of the water but we found it does not stay cold enough and our bacon and smokies were getting too warm so we had to put them in the bottom by the remaining ice which meant having bacon water on my beer cans ( and other less important stuff). We cooked our steaks on day 3 and they needed to be cooked that day or would have gone bad for sure. While I was grumbling about it my wife suggested we just plan to stop and drain water and refill ice on day 5 for any trips longer than that. We could stock up on food too so we don't have to pack as much to start and can fit more ice. That is fine, but we could do that with our cheaper coolers! In fact, having two of the cheaper coolers means we could divide the food up better between them and fit even more ice so they too would easily last until day 5, which kind of makes this expensive roto molded cooler useless. Yes it is stronger and all, but my Rubbermaid coolers have not broken yet and there are much stronger "cheap" coolers out there if they do bite the bullet one day. I did question Woods on their claim to 14 days of ice and they said for the test they filled the cooler with ice and left it in a dim room at room temperature and after 14 days there was still ice...

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
That's the problem with most cooler ratings & comparisons. Too many variables for that claim to mean much, and it means nothing when comparing different coolers.

Kyle, you didn't mention doing this, but pre-chilling or freezing as much of the cooler contents as possible can make an appreciable difference. Also, having a second, smaller cooler for frequent access to drinks allows the main cooler to stay closed more, which should also improve endurance. Sun exposure also hurts, so throwing a light coloured towel over a cooler can help, and making a Reflectix boot is even better. Unless you need crushed ice, I'd give up on it and stick with solid. Crushed ice takes up too much space if you're trying to stretch endurance as long as possible.

I hope that helps, and maybe someone will offer other suggestions. Good luck!

Also, freeze the ice in your own freezer overnight. Those commercial freezers at the store are only kept cold enough for the ice to not melt. They do not do a deep freeze.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
I did chill the cooler the night before and all ice was in my freezer at home for a solid freeze. Cooler stayed in the back of the rig out of the sun but it was well ventilated. Thanks for the suggestions though.

colb45

Observer
Bought the Igloo Sportman 70QT when they had them on for $199CDN at Costco, have never been happier with a cooler. For us canadians by the time they exchange hits, it really hits the pocket book.

Have used it on a couple of trips and the inside by day 5 is incredibly cold, for bang for buck can not complain.

Willy222

Hi Kyle,

Any further thoughts on the Woods cooler now that it has been a while?

My CT had them on for $269, so I picked up one so I could give it a good look. One thing I noticed is that the seal doesn't seem that high quality compared to the Ozark Trail roto molded cooler that I have. On that one the seal is a rubber type that returns to its original shape when you open it. The seal on the Woods is much different, seems to be a foam that is permanently compressed by the mating surface, just doesn't seem as robust.

I'm thinking that picking up a 72l Ozark Trail next time I am in the US (189 USD so about the same price) makes more sense. Also the OT has a 5 year warranty instead of 1 year.

Willy.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Our cooler experience:

I ended up with a Yeti 105 from Costco. It's was $479 new, but it was on an end cap at the end of season and marked at $350 so I picked it up. The main reason for grabbing a high end cooler was the events we travel too frequently result in us being land locked for the entire event. Meaning, once in our spot you can't leave so you have to be very self sufficient for upto 4 days. For the last several years I would carry 3 colemans, 1 for drinks and 2 for backup ice. (Our camper fridge is large enough for food supplies). Depending on where in the country we are ( Moab, Flagstaff, Colorado, Texas, Etc...) by day two I was looking for additional ice since the old school Colemans just couldn't keep up inside of a hot trailer. So far, the Yeti, precooled with block ice and full of drinks has been good for the entire time. This reduces weight, clutter and storage in our trailer. My only issue is once the Yeti is full it is extremely heavy and isn't going anywhere! A final note. Being in the Overland industry I have access to all the coolers mentioned and at the end of the day I went with the original, US made, proven Yeti. Good luck with which ever cooler you go with!IMG_2914.JPGIMG_3004.JPG

Willy222

Thank-you BritKLR, much appreciated. May I ask what the proportion of ice to drinks you use to last 4 days (ie half full of ice to start?)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thank-you BritKLR, much appreciated. May I ask what the proportion of ice to drinks you use to last 4 days (ie half full of ice to start?)

Great question. Generally speaking and prior to hitting the road, I start with a block of ice. From there I'll carry a 48 bottle pack of water, 12 pack of fruit drinks, 12 pack of V8 drinks and 24 adult beverages (for family and friends....) and odds and ends that don't fit in the fridge. I'll normally add about half of all the drinks to the cooler and when on the road top off with a couple 20 lb bags of ice. Depending on the travel distance ( anywhere from 1 day to 5 days on their road) and heat, once I get close to the location I'll top off with another 10-20 lb of ice and that's it. The cooler stays in the trailer and I'll top off drinks as needed. I don't drain the water until we leave and everything stays cold for 3-4 days. Hope that helps. Btw, the 105 is taller then the 75 so it holds notably more ice and drinks. And it's heavy!

Last edited:

Grassland

Another thing people fail to factor in is the cost of goods outside of the USA (or how much stuff varies state to state I am sure) like the cost of ice guys are quoting here blows my mind. 5lb bag of ice is 3-5$ depending where you are, and almost no grocery stores carry block ice. Sure I have never seen a 20lb bag of ice for sale, never mind for $5.
Cheap Colemans are about 30-50$ here in the 35-45 quart size, when on sale. I looked at some Yetis for $450-500+$.

I had been contemplating a fridge or a good cooler and just happened to find the Woods roto molded coolers on sale at Canadian Tire. I couldn't find any reviews on them and didn't find any tests or comparisons that included them but for a sale price of $350 for an 80L I decided to give it a go. Used it on one trip so far over 6 days in hot, sunny weather and I'm impressed, but I've never used any of the other brands.

The 50L Woods was normally $289 here and I picked up two when they were on sale for $220. I figure they have to be half as good as a Yeti, and are literally half the price when on sale. Plus i had lots of Canadian Tire money, so I didn't actually part with that much money. In October they were blowing out a bunch of 80l ones for $199. I was tempted, but the 50l get heavy enough when loaded up. Typically my wife can't lift them when loaded. I feel for the price on sale they are worth it. More durable, decent shape, I can sit on them and I sure wouldn't do that with the Colemans.

I compared one Woods 50l to my 45 quart Coleman on a long weekend at 30 degrees C, at the end of day three some ice in Woods, none in coleman, and water was warmer.
Typically I bring my coolers into the house a couple days before we leave, and I load them with Ice packs or frozen water jugs to pre cool them the night before. Also load them with stuff thats fridge temp already, not room temp. This has made the difference of being a few cubes of ice at day 4, vs no ice at end of day 2.
I like to have two coolers, so one can be dedicated to drinks, as that one will be opened and closed more frequently, leaving the other to stay cooler and have the perishable food in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier