95 MontySR catalytic issues

Styyy

Adventurer
Well my vehicle needs a catalytic converter. Mine has a hole and is leaking. I'm in ny so everything's prett rusty and it should be fun getting the old one off. My question is ,does anyone know of an aftermarket delete or bypass pipe? Sine the vehicle is OBD I there's no emission test so I feel it would help save me some money instead of a direct fit cat. Any suggestions or experience is appreciated.

GFO

Observer
Never seen an aftermarket piece, but any half-decent muffler shop should be able to easy cut a piece of correct length pipe and add some flanges to make one, if not directly weld the pipe to your stock piping where the cat once was.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Never seen an aftermarket piece, but any half-decent muffler shop should be able to easy cut a piece of correct length pipe and add some flanges to make one, if not directly weld the pipe to your stock piping where the cat once was.

Except for the fact that it's ILLEGAL for any licensed shop to do this.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Well my vehicle needs a catalytic converter. Mine has a hole and is leaking. I'm in ny so everything's prett rusty and it should be fun getting the old one off. My question is ,does anyone know of an aftermarket delete or bypass pipe? Sine the vehicle is OBD I there's no emission test so I feel it would help save me some money instead of a direct fit cat. Any suggestions or experience is appreciated.

Here you go, https://www.catalyticconvertersonli...&make=MITSUBISHI&model=MONTERO&engine=3.5L+V6

Styyy

Adventurer
Thanks for the link,and advice. I am aware of the federal regulations regarding cats. Problem with the universal fit ones is they are usually stainless steel and I dont have a TIG welder I have a MIG so I would have to pay someone to weld it and Im cheap.Just thought there was an inexpensive replacement part out there I was missing with my searches.thanks

GFO

Observer
Except for the fact that it's ILLEGAL for any licensed shop to do this.

Calm down, cowboy. I thought since his state had no smog-checks for 1995 and older vehicles, it wouldn't be illegal. My error then.

Can't imagine a shop wouldn't make him a piece of pipe if he took them the specs he needs.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link,and advice. I am aware of the federal regulations regarding cats. Problem with the universal fit ones is they are usually stainless steel and I dont have a TIG welder I have a MIG so I would have to pay someone to weld it and Im cheap.Just thought there was an inexpensive replacement part out there I was missing with my searches.thanks

The first 2 in the link I provided are direct fit for under $120, no welding involved.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Calm down, cowboy. I thought since his state had no smog-checks for 1995 and older vehicles, it wouldn't be illegal. My error then.

Can't imagine a shop wouldn't make him a piece of pipe if he took them the specs he needs.

It's against the law for a shop to modify the emissions system on any street driven vehicle from the factory configuration even if local law doesn't require testing, it would still fail the visual test. But he can have a DOT legal higher flow model installed as a replacement.

Styyy

Adventurer
Hardware issues

Picked up the Eastern cat from ebay for $122 with tax and shipping!
Thanks

Finally found the time to cut the other cat out, bolts were too rusted. Now the issue I've run into is that the new cat didn't come with the hardware,specifically the nuts,bolts and springs. I went to NAPA and auto zone,checked online ,even called eastern catylitic converters and no one has the hardware for the allocation? So I called the local mitsu dealer and they said the parts would take a week to get and cost $65!! And no guarante it will fit. So does anyone know where I can pick up the 2bolts ,2 nuts,and 2 springs?
Thanks

plh

Explorer
The bolts/nuts should be no big deal. Just mild steel metric grade 8.8 - nothing special. Copper or brass nuts would be nice although not mandatory. Do you have the "old" springs that you could match up to something at your local NAPA or Midas or hardware store.

Styyy

Adventurer
That's exactly what I did ,brought the old setup in and they gave me the closest thing they had,from an explorer. It was a pita but it's done now. Now to fix the rusty tailpipe ,gas tank leak,sunroof....

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior