what is this?

Lok47

Observer
Snapped a few pics of this cab over vehicle at California Speedway this past weekend by the supermoto races. Anybody know what it is? It looked pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 182
  • red bull.JPG
    red bull.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 165

justfred

Adventurer
Lok47 said:
Snapped a few pics of this cab over vehicle at California Speedway this past weekend by the supermoto races. Anybody know what it is? It looked pretty cool.

It's a Pinzgauer 712K. Built by Southern California Pinzgauers (which is sadly no longer in business). Really nicely decked out. I could find out more information if you're interested.

Both Pinzgauer and Red Bull are from Austria. Not to mention Arnold Schwarzenegger (who owns at least one, I believe).

(Sorry, actually I think it was a 712M, not a K - with a fabricated rear cabin.)

Last edited:

Lok47

Observer
Thanks for the info. It was a pretty cool looking truck, but probably a bit impractical for daily use :D

gjackson

FRGS
Impractical for daily use, but a killer expedition truck, esp the 6x6!!

Attachments

• IMG_3238.JPG
    IMG_3238.JPG
    464.6 KB · Views: 185

HINO SG

Adventurer
Pinzgauer

That truck was here in town last year for a music festival. The Red Bull guy said they have it shipped on most of the longer trips. Highway speed is only 100 kph and even that's really winding it out.

Nice ride, though. Totally "pimped" out. can't belive I'm saying that.

Evan

gjackson

FRGS
Graham-
Where did you take that pic!? Cool shot!

Pic is from the Gabon Congo border looking towards the Congo side. We were stuck there for 4 days. We found out we were the first cars to cross in 7 years. It was quite a big deal on the Congo side!!

The pinz is Urs and Elza. He is Swiss, she is French. They are still travelling in Africa, 2 years after we came back!!

cheers

CLynn85

Explorer
I was very pleased yesterday while driving through my rural farm town to see a desert tan 4x4 pinz pass me going the other way, if I weren't going to meet someone I would've pulled a 180 and followed him :wavey:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
CLynn85 said:
I was very pleased yesterday while driving through my rural farm town to see a desert tan 4x4 pinz pass me going the other way, if I weren't going to meet someone I would've pulled a 180 and followed him :wavey:
There is a guy in you neck of the woods importing Pinzgauers from the Swiss Army Surplus; the guy's name is Vince, but I don't remember hus website. There is also one in GA www.eurotruck-importers.com.

BTW, every year on the last Wednesday in April is the Swiss Army auctioning off surplus vehicles in Thun (about 1/2 hours south of the capital Berne). I have not been there in a about 5 years, but then you really could get great stuff there. Most Pinzgauers were in decent conditions needing some TLC. They went for about CHF6,000 to 10,000 (USD 4,800 - 8,000)

Real deals were some cherry Unimog 404 selling at $1,500. Unluckily the 404 has a gas engine, power is marginal and the thirst outrageaous. Also the frog-like driving position in these old Mogs are not to everybody's liking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94