Rumor of Synthetic Winch Rope Issues in Cold Weather?

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Hey all, Up here in the sub-arctic (Northern NY State) I have been "advised" by folks that synthetic winch rope does not do well in a cold weather climate. They state that, when water freezes to ice, it will rub in between the strands and cause premature wear and failure of the synthetic rope. Of course, none of these road scholars actually HAVE synthetic rope on their winches. Please, can somebody with proper experience validate or refute these claims? Thanks!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hey all, Up here in the sub-arctic (Northern NY State) I have been "advised" by folks that synthetic winch rope does not do well in a cold weather climate. They state that, when water freezes to ice, it will rub in between the strands and cause premature wear and failure of the synthetic rope. Of course, none of these road scholars actually HAVE synthetic rope on their winches. Please, can somebody with proper experience validate or refute these claims? Thanks!

The only possible issue is that synthetic rope can get really badly frozen onto the drum and hard to spool off.

FYI, Amsteel sells snow plow straps/ropes so I doubt that you would find snow plow operators using synthetic if it were vulnerable to winter weather. :)

ExploringNH

Explorer
The only issue I have seen is that it gets wet and freezes to itself on the drum making it hard to pull out. Usually it is easy enough to just put a little muscle into it and work it loose. Sometimes it takes a little more pressure but it always breaks free. I plan on synthetic winch line for my rig when the budget allows.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Rumor. I've used my winch rope multiple times in sub freezing temps. In the past 13 years, that hasn't been a problem.

Used it a year and some change ago in 9F. I was in the cab like, "Ohhhhh we better be getting outta here!!". Which we did. The rope wasn't damaged. No breakage, nada. And that was over a year ago with multiple uses since then. Oh and as mentioned, that doesn't include the other stupid things I've done with the rope before that.

After having synthetic rope, everytime I pull cable and someone has wire, I just complain the entire time. Its so difficult to use in comparison to rope.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
"Dyneema" is what I believe the synthetic rope is made from? It came from the fishing industry and can handle extreme wet/cold/freezing conditions....

77cruiser77

Observer
As an ice climber, a rock climber, and person to sells specialty climbing equipment what you heard is absolutely foolish. Ice will not harm your rope. If there is grit in the water that freezes then yes it can abrade you rope but water ice alone will do nothing. Dyneema is also preferred amongst ice climbers because it absorbs much less water than other synthetic fibres such as nylon.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The premise is that ice will abrade your rope. Think about it, ice is pretty tough stuff but is it more abrasive than granite, schist or quartz that Dyneema usually has to deal with?

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Been used by the sailors for yrs before one of them tried it on their 4x4 rig. #1 threat is UV degredation. Cover your stuff! Hard to do that on the sailboat some times.

77cruiser77

Observer
UV is one of the greater enemies that should be considered. Keep your rope out of the sun and it will treat you well. Another note on abrasion to keep in mind ice is frozen water so when friction or pressure is applied it creates heat melting the ice out. Again water ice should not be a concern but if grit is in the water then yes it can work its way in there quickly and damage your rope. Seeing how little water dyneema absorbs you'll most likely find water coating the outside unless you're doing a lot of serious water crossings. Then again just using the darn thing is going to put wear and tear on it so I say be happy with the advantages of rope over cable and rock on! when its time to replace do so because winch cable and rope isn't supposed to last a lifetime anyways.

Scott Brady

Founder
Ah, the synthetic rope rumors...

1. They fall to the ground when they break: Nope, they just have less mass, and are less likely to cut a bystandard, but synthetic rope still throws stuff a long way, and that shackle will still kill you.

2. UV damages synthetic rope: Nope, it only fades the color. Dyneema is UV stable (which is why it was engineered for shipping vessles, sail boats, etc)

3. Synthetic rope is fragile in the cold: The cold has nothing to do with it. synthetic rope is more vulnerable to cutting, chaffing and foriegn material in the strands regardless of temps. Ice in the strands is a non-issue. Synthitic line is the line of choice for all Arctic and Antarctic winching specs. We used synthetic on all of our Antarctic trucks and at -57 in the Arctic.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Scott, you forgot the one about it melting the minute it touches an in drum brake construction winch.:ylsmoke:

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I've only seen synthetic winch rope break. Never wire rope. You can't treat synthetic like your step-brother like wire rope or it won't last. No way would I want a winch rope that has to be kept in a perfect enviroment, a perfect pull position, or a perfect use. I want a rope that can get me out of a life or death situation for either me or my rig that has been subjected to extreme weather and trail conditions after a week on a trail that I now need to use at some insane angle/length or other extreme condition.
Wire rope just needs to be clean and spooled tight and even after last use and it'll last forever, ready for the next time, whenever and wherever that might be.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior