Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Restoration And Build Thread For My 1992 FJ80

Default The Restoration And Build Thread For My 1992 FJ80

First post here. I figured I would share with the ExPo crowd. I will update this thread with more as I have time to. I will be posting quite a lot of photos to show its progression over the past 4 or so years.
    -

Edit: Here is the most complete mod list I could come up with, but I am sure I am missing other small things. (Updated 8/31/17)
    -
    -
    Aesthetics
    Full Custom Paint Job Inside and Out (FJ40 Dune Beige, with matte black on hood, bed liner on flares-rockers-rear cross member-rear hatch wind deflector, gloss black around windows, VHT Graphite Gray on wheels-misc. trim, and satin black mirrors-door handles-door stripe)
    95-97 Grille Conversion
    XPEL Paint Protection Film on the Hood
    3M Paint Protection Film on Lower Rear Doors
    15% Window Tint
    Cloth Interior Redone to Leather
    Color Matching Wet Okole Seat Covers w/ 1" Padding Underneath (Front)
    Black Zebra Wood Interior Trim
    Retro "TOYOTA" and "4WD" Decals on Tailgate
    TRD Decals on Rear Quarter Panels
    License Plate Relocated to Passenger Side
    TRD License Plate Frame
    Rear Hatch Wind Deflector
    Stickers
    JDM 80 Series License Plate Lamp Assembly
    -
    Bumpers, Armor, and Recovery
    Ironman 4x4 Deluxe Bull bar
    Custom Built Rock Sliders
    Custom Driver's Side Tire Swing Out
    Custom Passenger Side Cooler (Yeti 45) Swing Out
    12,000 lb Badlands winch w/ ARB 4x4 Accessories
    48" Hi-Lift Jack w/ Custom Dune Beige Handle
    Hi-Lift Bull Bar Mounts
    Custom Receiver Hitch
    OEM Tow Hooks Front/Rear
    TredPro 4x4 Recovery Mats
    -
    Suspension
    Ironman 4x4 Performance Series 50mm Lift
    Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Shocks----Replaced By OME Nitrocharger Sport L Shocks
    Ironman Steering Stabilizer
    Custom 1 3/8" Front Coil Spacers
    Custom 1/2" Polyurethane Body Lift
    Air Lift 1000 Kit in Rear Coils
    15mm MetalTech Leveling Spacer on driver's rear coil
    Washer Mod Castor Correction
    Sway Bar Drop Brackets
    Rear Bump Stops Lowered 1"
    Extended (Extended) Brake Lines
    -
    Tires, Wheels, and Gears
    35x12.5r17 Kenda Klever Mud Terrains
    2011-2014 FJ Cruiser/2010-2013 4Runner Trail Edition Wheels
    Internally Ground Down Center Caps
    Nitro Gear and Axle 4.88 Ring and Pinion (Front and Rear)
    TRD Valve Stem Covers
    -
    Roof Rack, Roof Top Tent, and Awning
    Custom Built Full Length Flat Rack
    CVT Mt. Bachelor Roof Top Tent and Annex
    Custom Wind Fairing for RTT
    Custom 8ft Awning
    -
    Head Unit, Speakers, Cameras
    Pioneer DDX470 Head Unit
    USB/AUX Port in Center Console
    Kicker KS40s For Dash Speakers
    Four Kicker KS65 Speakers with Custom Front Door Speaker Holders
    Kicker 10CVT654 Shallow Mount Subwoofer
    Reverse Camera (Have yet to reinstall)
    Front Camera
    Kicker KX400.4 Amp for KS65s
    Kicker CX300.1 Amp for 10CVT654
    Kicker Fuse Block
    Kicker Power Distribution Block
    -
    On Board Air System
    Custom York 210 On Board Air Compressor
    Air Outlet in Front Bumper
    Air Outlet in Rear
    Air Horns
    5 Gallon Air Tank
    Custom Rear Air Tank Mounts
    -
    Cooling/Performance
    Grand Prix GTP Hood Vents
    Aluminum radiator
    Electric Pusher Fan
    Green Hub Fan Clutch w/ 15k CST Fluid
    Osidetiger 4-Hole Fuel Injectors
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    EGR Delete
    High Clearance Cat-Back Exhaust with Single Cat Conversion
    EFI Relay Relocated to Driver's Kick Panel
    Snorkel
    Stoptech "FZJ sized" Slotted Front Brake Rotors
    FZJ Front Brake Calipers
    Powerstop Carbon Ceramic 100 Series Pads
    -
    Lighting
    Custom Euro-Spec Depo Headlight Conversion
    Slee Offroad Headlight Wiring Harness
    40" LED Light Bar on Roof Rack with Custom Mounts
    Two 4" LED Light Bars (Rear)
    LED Interior Lighting
    LED Reverse Lights
    LightForce 240s w/ Amber Combo Filters
    Depo Valence Lights
    LED Running Lights/Turn Signals in Ironman Bumper
    Fog Lights in Ironman Bumper
    Tinted LED Brake/Turn/Running Lights in Rear Bumper Wings
    Blue Sea Contura 6 Gang Rocker Switch Panel
    Daystar Rocker Switches (Labeled)
    Custom RTT LED Lights
    -
    Storage
    Custom Rear Storage Box --Removed
    Rear "Attic" Storage Rack
    Custom "Tuffy Style" Center Console
    Custom Rear Drawers With 36" Accuride 9308 and 9301 Slides
    Custom Fridge slide for 63qt ARB Fridge
    -
    Creature Comforts and Miscellaneous
    Northshore NSR-4 Bike Rack
    ARB 63qt Fridge
    Custom Drop Down Table on Cooler Swing Out
    Custom Ram Mount From Grab Handle for Garmin ETrex
    Midland Handheld CB Radio
    4' Firestik Antenna
    Trasharoo
    Pin 7 Mod
    OEM Passenger Dash Grab Handle
    Remote Door Locks
    TRD Seat Belt Pads
    Strong Arm Hatch Struts
    Land Rover Cup Holder Mod
    Third Row Cup Holders
    Dual Fold Out Cup Holder on the back of the Center Console
    Dual USB Outlet on Console
    12v Outlet on Console
    Extended Differential Breathers
    Custom Driver's Seat Extension Brackets
    Third Row 12V Outlets
    Seat Recline Mod (2nd and 3rd Rows)
    Dorman Front Window Track/Motor Assemblies
    -
    -
    Anyways, this is how my 1992 Land Cruiser looked when I first inherited it at 16 with 310,000 miles. This was the car that took me to preschool, elementary school, middle school, and some of high school. My parents purchased it back in the early 2000s with 175,000 miles on it. As far back as I can remember, I remember this car. My family would always take it to Colorado in the summers and explore the alpine roads. My dad has always been meticulous when it comes to maintenance. It is still on the original head gasket, transmission, transfer case.
    IMG_0199.JPG

Just before I inherited it, the build started. In an effort to get rid of the "mom-mobile" look, my dad and I painted the wheels with a VHT wheel paint, added an Ironman Nitro Gas 2" lift with 1 1/4" spacers on the front to level the ride height, had the windows tinted, and added 33x10.5x15 BFG KM1s.

lift and wheels.jpg

With the Colorado trip around the corner, we pulled off the damage multiplier on the front, took off the running boards, painted the grille/headlight trim/bumper trim to match the gray wheels, and painted the flares and bumpers in Rustoleum bed liner to see how it would hold up.

IMG_4544.jpg

After returning home from Colorado and passing my driving test in the 80, it was time for fresh paint. My dad and I had always planned to repaint it to something more retro and unique. He had some left over FJ40 Dune Beige from a restoration he had done on one of his 40s. It was decided that it would become that color with many black accents.

tailgate.jpg
    Last edited by Summit Cruisers Jr; 09-16-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Updating
    1992 Toyota Land Cruiser 400k miles
    Build Thread
    Lifted, Regeared, Repainted, Slee'd, Roof Rack, Ironman Bumper, LightForce 240s, light bars, dual swing outs, 35s on 17s, snorkel, custom drawers and fridge slide, ARB fridge, custom center console, Wet Okoles, CVT Tent, Air Lift, OBA System, and many more mods.

Looks good so far. Cant wait to see the finished product.
    Well, a hooker would get the joke.

Like where this is going. Ready for more.
    85 4Runner 3rz
    77 FJ55
    03 Z71
    1967 M109 Deuce

Just say NO to Bushwhacker Flares

www.slowswerve.com

Default Hood Vents and Painting

Several years prior to paint, my dad came up with the idea to use some older Pontiac Gran Prix GTP hood vents to help keep the under the hood temps down. This was after packing snow into the engine bay to keep the truck from overheating on Ophir Pass. After measuring many times, and then measuring several more times, the holes were cut and the GTP hood vents went in. Around the same time, we fitted an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator also. Since then, the truck has never gotten over halfway on the temperature gauge...even when sitting in drive-thrus at 100+ degrees F!

92 hood vents 003 web sized.JPG

92 hood vents 007 web sized.JPG

92 hood vents 015 web sized.JPG

On to what everyone wants to see....The painting!

Some people might think we are crazy to repaint a pristine white 80, but for us, white was too common.

4 (2).jpg

After eight weekends working 12-14 hour days with my dad, the painting was completed.

8 (2).jpg

28 (2).jpg

35 (2).jpg

We painted the window trim in a gloss black, the middle area and jambs in beige, and the lower portion and rockers in bed liner. This added a significant amount of time to the painting process as I remember spending 12 hours this day just taping up all the lines to perfection.

66 (2).jpg

68 (2).jpg

72 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Summit Cruisers Jr; 01-11-2015 at 04:30 AM.
    Build Thread
    Lifted, Regeared, Repainted, Slee'd, Roof Rack, Ironman Bumper, LightForce 240s, light bars, dual swing outs, 35s on 17s, snorkel, custom drawers and fridge slide, ARB fridge, custom center console, Wet Okoles, CVT Tent, Air Lift, OBA System, and many more mods.

Default Painting Part 2

Finishing touches and assembly. This was just prior to wet sanding and buffing.

103 (2).jpg

Mirrors, door handles, various small pieces, and license plate light cover were all painted in matte black.

129 (2).jpg

This was just prior to putting the flares back on. If I was into more hardcore off-roading, I probably would have left the flares off, but in order to help save the paint from rock chips and for looks, I wanted them on.

The body line stripe in the door was also painted in a satin black.

144 (2).jpg

156 (2).jpg

161 (2).jpg

Stay tuned for Roof rack/RTT, bumper, slider, gears, stereo, and more.
    Last edited by Summit Cruisers Jr; 01-16-2015 at 08:27 PM.
    Build Thread

Default Wrecked!

So after not getting a door ding, scratch, or otherwise damaging my Land Cruiser in the first year of driving, something was bound to happen. I had been saving for months, and I was about to purchase an Ironman Deluxe bull bar so I could have it on the truck by the time we went to Colorado for our annual family trip. On the last day of school, a girl in line to leave before me apparently became confused on what the "D and R" meant on her shifter. She happened to smash into my friends car in front of myself and push his car into the front of the Land Cruiser. At first I could not believe what had happened, and I was angered by the incompetent driver. Within seconds, I realized I was going to be getting that bumper, lights, and winch completely paid for by her insurance! Thankfully there were many witnesses, including one of the school's principals!

The wreck just happened to barely miss the hood. Thankfully we didn't have to repaint an entire hood and cut out new hood vents.

fj80 wrecked3.jpg

FJ80 wreck 010.jpg

FJ80 wreck 007.jpg

With our Colorado trip approaching in less than two months, it was time to fight the insurance company and get some parts!
    Last edited by Summit Cruisers Jr; 01-11-2015 at 04:30 AM.
    Build Thread

Default Repairs and Bumper

After taking it to our local dealership collision center and getting an estimate to replace everything without bondo, it came in at slightly less than 4 grand. This included a new bumper, bumper trim, headlights and trim, grille, valance, driver fender and flare (the bumper was pushed into those two bending the lower fender pretty good. No frame damage, but everything on the front in some way or another was broken or misshaped. After dealing with an insurance company who kept dodging us, we threatened legal action if they did not do anything. They kept claiming they were waiting for the story from the girl, but we had multiple witnesses and another involved in the wreck and there was no reason we should be waiting on that...especially since they were not doing anything to get the story from her. They told us that story for several weeks. Once the adjuster came out to our house and saw the truck, he didn't even try and fight it. If I remember correctly, his father was someone with Toyota and he loved the truck and agreed that it needed to be fixed as we saw fit. He also gave us an additional $100 for the two Hella lights that were broken. With the check on the way, I ordered an Ironman Deluxe front bumper, two Lightforce 240 Blitz lights with amber filters, a 12,000 lb Badlands winch and wireless remote, and a new valance. Doing all the repairs ourselves, we made things work. One of the headlight mounts was broken, but some plastic washers and JB Weld fixed that issue.

After getting the valence painted and put on the truck with the old grille, I noticed there were some annoyingly large gaps on the bottom and sides.

wrecked and painted 012.jpg
    wrecked and painted 021.jpg

Autopartswarehouse had sent us the lower front valence for a 95-97 LC and thus did not fit nicely with our 92 grille. This ended up working for the better as they refunded us 1/2 the price of the valence and sold us a grille for 50%. Then I bought a Toyota emblem off eBay for $20.

When the box with the "grille" arrived a week later, I thought there was no way that it was the grille I needed. Opening it up confirmed my doubts.

92 Ironman bumper 032.jpg

They sent us a roll of brown fabric and a lower VW Beatle grille. After trying to figure everything out the phone, they told us they had no idea where they shipped our grille.

Within a week, the grille had appeared on our front porch, and then we painted it and put it on. It required adding nylon spacers and extending the headlight mounts.

92 winch and lights 015.jpg
    While waiting for the grille, we installed the winch and a Hi-Lift jack on the front bumper with a custom dune beige handle. Once the grille was installed, we were able to wire up the Lightforces. We also drilled new holes and used square tubing to space them further back in the bumper and higher up.

92 bumper and grill 014.jpg
    Last edited by Summit Cruisers Jr; 01-11-2015 at 01:12 AM.
    Build Thread

that color looks rad on the 80, keep up the nice work

Cruiser is looking great! Pleased you got everything sorted with the insurance company

Where did you source the clear corners and indicator lights?
    - '05 100 series Landcruiser. ARB front, Slee Rear, OME and Iron man underneath. 33" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, custom drawers and cargo area.
    - 1982 FJ45 Long Bed Dune Beige, white roof, 2f, H41, all stock other than 33" BFG MT
    - LV-416 Explorer Trailer, CVT RTT, Battery, Gas, Propane, swing out kitchen and more

That is one sweet 80!!! you guys have done an amazing job!!!

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast