Thread: The Restoration And Build Thread For My 1992 FJ80

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Cruisers Jr View Post
    I appreciate it! It's always fun to see people's reactions when I tell them or they see that it has over 400k on it. How is the biking up in Alaska? Whistler and Sedona are too of the places I am wanting to visit badly right now. After a crash last spring, I erased any and all plans to get up to Whistler over the summer.
    Make sure to PM me if you head to Whistler. I lived (and biked) there for over 20 years, including some time spent carrying a chainsaw in a back pack while on my Gas-Gas trials bike to cut trails. I’m not a bike park guy, but if you want to pedal or shuttle for your fun I can show you some great rides!
    '94 Santa Monica Airlines 39" longboard, Indy 159s, Powell AT wheels
    '99 UZJ 100 with OME, 255 ST Max’s and factory locker.
    '14 Dodge 3500 6.7, 68RFE with Thurens, 5100s, 305/70-18 ST Maxxxxxs
    '17 Northern Lite 9-6 Q. Factory ordered to my spec.
    '74 Airstream International 29'

Quote Originally Posted by redthies View Post
    Make sure to PM me if you head to Whistler. I lived (and biked) there for over 20 years, including some time spent carrying a chainsaw in a back pack while on my Gas-Gas trials bike to cut trails. I’m not a bike park guy, but if you want to pedal or shuttle for your fun I can show you some great rides!

For sure! I'd be like a kid in a candy store there and wouldn't want to miss out on the good local trails if I were too distracted by the park. What would you say is the best time of the year to ride up there? I'd imagine the park is brake rutted beyond belief later in the season.
    1992 Toyota Land Cruiser 400k miles
    Build Thread
    Lifted, Regeared, Repainted, Slee'd, Roof Rack, Ironman Bumper, LightForce 240s, light bars, dual swing outs, 35s on 17s, snorkel, custom drawers and fridge slide, ARB fridge, custom center console, Wet Okoles, CVT Tent, Air Lift, OBA System, and many more mods.

They look after the trails in the park pretty well, so I doubt there’d be much difference through the season. My favorite time of year up there is early September basically right after Labor Day. It’s not as busy and the temps are in the 70s-80s instead of the 90s. There’s good fishing etc then too.
    '94 Santa Monica Airlines 39" longboard, Indy 159s, Powell AT wheels
    '99 UZJ 100 with OME, 255 ST Max’s and factory locker.
    '14 Dodge 3500 6.7, 68RFE with Thurens, 5100s, 305/70-18 ST Maxxxxxs
    '17 Northern Lite 9-6 Q. Factory ordered to my spec.
    '74 Airstream International 29'

Such a rad Cruiser. Keep up the good work.

Man, this thing is pretty!
    Skoolie Bus Build Thread
    Bus Conversion Blog-Travelling the American West for 6+ months starting April 2018
    Instagram
    02 Xterra Build Thread

You have the best looking 92 I've ever seen! I recently acquired a 92 project, my first land cruiser, and yours is a great source of ideas for mine.

I have a few questions about your cooling system though, if you would be kind enough to indulge my curiosity:

1. Is your trans cooler really a factory one? I have the front end of mine apart and it did not have anything of the sort. It ran, drove, and shifted before the tear down.
    2. I'm assuming you have a clutch fan too, but, does the electric pusher fan seem to make a difference? Did you consider a clutch fan delete and all electric fans?
    3. What kind of radiator is that?
    4. Do you have any data or opinions on the hood vent effectiveness?

I'm in the planning phase of building a bulletproof cooling system for mine, but unfortunately there isn't a lot of info out there for the 91-92 and not many people seem to put much thought into it.

So far my plan is an OEM Toyota manual transmission FJ80 radiator (16400-17020), OEM Toyota thermostat, aisin water pump, gates hoses.

Parts I haven't decided on are the clutch fan situation (rebuild the one it has?), transmission cooler, additional fans and thermoswitches, and hood venting.

Thanks for the compliments you guys.

Jellyfishfiesta,

As far as I know it is factory. I believe my cruiser originally had a towing package and maybe it was an upgraded part, but I cannot confirm if they would put different coolers in for a towing package but it does make sense.

The electric pusher fan definitely helps in combination with the good vents. When driving up high mountain passes with thin air and the sun beating down, I can watch my temperature gauge rise. When I turn on the fan, it combats the rise and sometimes even lowers the temps depending on outside conditions.

I don't have any actual data on the hood vents, but if you're around the cruiser going up a mountain pass or on a hot day and put your hand over them, they are venting pretty hot air. Like a heater is blasting out of them. I don't see how that could not be helping unless there is some aerodynamic "pull through the engine bay flow" that Toyota originally designed into the vehicle that is being disrupted. I know newer 4runners and Tacomas have fake hood scoops and bumper vents for this reason, but I'm not sure if that was as big of a deal back when the 80 series was designed. It's also no longer retaining the same air flow in the front due to bumpers and lights so I believe it can't be doing any harm.

The radiator is an aluminum one sold by Champion on eBay but in came in as a Silla. Quality on the first one was questionable as it was leaking around the neck, but they covered it under warranty and this one has been fine.

I have never wanted an all electric set up. The only benefit to that I see is being able to turn it off for deep water crossings, but I know the factory one will continue to work and it really roars when it need to.

Hope this answers your questions and feel free to let me know if you have any more. Good luck on your 92. Once everything is sorted out it will truly run forever.
    Build Thread
    Lifted, Regeared, Repainted, Slee'd, Roof Rack, Ironman Bumper, LightForce 240s, light bars, dual swing outs, 35s on 17s, snorkel, custom drawers and fridge slide, ARB fridge, custom center console, Wet Okoles, CVT Tent, Air Lift, OBA System, and many more mods.

Thanks for answering all of my questions! Very informative. My only concern on the hood vents is rain or snow getting in there. Maybe I could use a floor register that opens and closes (joking/half joking). Also as far as I can tell your radiator is no longer available, not many 3F-E options out there now; People on MUD are talking about the OEM manual transmission radiator.

Cheers,

Mike

Scored big today! I bought locked full floaters, the e brake, beefier front sway bar, and some other goodies. An LX450 was a fresh arrival at a local yard and it happened to be triple locked. Unfortunately someone copped the rear actuator and wiring connector for it, but overall I'm super excited. They are going to need an absolute rebuild and re gear. The Lx450 had 223k miles on it, and it may have had a couple of the original tires on it they were that bad...

I also bought all 5 wheels because they are in overall decent shape. I'm contemplating putting them on my cruiser and ditching the FJ wheels so I don't have to run wheel spacers, but that would also require new tires. If I don't use them, I'll probably get them powder coated "Toyota dark gray" and let my dad put them on his beige Fj40.

Then I also figured I'd buy the headlights and grille as they are all in great shape. I like the grille design a lot better on the LX and I'm contemplating switching all of that out for a more factory look compared to my depos.

I also snagged both driveshafts so I can rebuild them and put them on mine as mine have over 400k miles and have some slop.

Overall I'm super excited and bummed I have to go back to school next week, but at least I'll end up with some time to figure out everything I'll need.

In addition to fully rebuilding both axles, I'm looking to add diff armor and drain plug protection. I'm also going to sand blast them and repaint/powdercoat them and all of my control arms. I'm kind of tempted to go with wheel gray axles with all black arms and maybe zinc coated bolts or everything in stainless. I know it'd be a kind of dumb use of money, but it would be really nice.

IMG_8208.jpg

IMG_8209.jpg

IMG_8214.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfishfiesta View Post
    Thanks for answering all of my questions! Very informative. My only concern on the hood vents is rain or snow getting in there. Maybe I could use a floor register that opens and closes (joking/half joking). Also as far as I can tell your radiator is no longer available, not many 3F-E options out there now; People on MUD are talking about the OEM manual transmission radiator.

Cheers,

Mike
    It looks like there's quite a few hdj80 aftermarket radiators on eBay that look about the same. May want to look into that option. With over 100k miles now with the hood vents, I haven't seen any effects from rain water or snow. I wouldn't stress about it too much. Water crossings and mud holes can throw up much more.
    Last edited by Summit Cruisers Jr; 01-12-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Build Thread

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast