G54B Weber conversion fuel pump question

Nebel

I just ditched my Mikuni for a Weber 32/36 DGEV on my Raider. I've read that that stock mechanical pump is a bit much for the Weber, and can dump too much fuel into it, due to the higher psi. Or something like that. Anyway, I've read into aftermarket fuel pumps. I'm looking into a Carter P4070.

My question is, isn't there already am electric pump in the tank? Do I swap the pump in the rear? If so, am I to swap the pump in the rear, for the Carter, and continue to use the mechanical pump in the head? Or ditch the OEM electric pump + the mechanical pump, and just run the aftermarket pump?

TIA!

Nebel

Also, I have searched on 4x4wire, ram50, and mightymax, but couldn't really find a solid answer. I probably could have searched more thoroughly, but I had already typed all of this out. Lol

plh

Explorer
I had a weber on my Raider before the diesel. Use an inline fuel pressure regulator between the fuel pump and the carb. Like this Holley 12-804 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-804/overview/ . Need to adjust down to around 2, or 2.5 psi. I added a gage to it also. Pretty sure there is a photo of my setup over on 4x4wire. Probably 4 or 5 years ago.

plh

Explorer
Good plan going to the Weber. BIG improvement in drivability compared to the worn out Mikuni that was on mine, and I still managed around 20mpg (and sometimes a bit plus) highway with tire size corrected for pushing my 33s. Had to keep the idle speed pretty low in the summer as it would occasionally 'run-on' after ignition shut-off during warm days if it was above 800 rpm.

Nebel

I'm hoping so! Mine was dieseling like a ********. Had a pretty bad flat spit in the lower-mid RPM band. Reminded me of vtec. lol

mudraider

Adventurer
Your question of an electric fuel pump in the tank is negative. Only the one on the engine on a 2.6 Raider. Check it out in the factory FSM here at mitsubishilinks.com

Sent from my crappy old phone

Nebel

Your question of an electric fuel pump in the tank is negative. Only the one on the engine on a 2.6 Raider. Check it out in the factory FSM here at mitsubishilinks.com

Sent from my crappy old phone

Okay, that's what I was thinking. The guy I bought this Raider from told me that the "fuel pump had some kind of problem" and handed me this big plastic in-tank looking mystery item. So, that's what got my on the second pump idea.

Nebel

On one of my older Mitsus with the 4g52b, I have found using seafoam down the carb and in the tank help clean the fuel system and running premium help cut down on dieseling.

You can either plug the factory pump, make a block off plate or get a factory blank off plate from a starion.

I seafoam'd the crap out of it the day I got it. Turned down the vibration down a tad, but it was still on the overwhelming side.

I had one of my machine shop customers make me some block off plates, but I'm gonna give the regulator a try first and go from there.

Nebel

Never mind.. Chilton's manual mislead me.

A Warning to anyone using a Chilton manual regarding the 2.6 mechanical fuel pump; It's either incorrect or poorly illustrated.
Nothing against Chilton. That has been my only issue so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier