Canadian Disco 2 Build

muskyman

Explorer
man you guys do measure funny up there...those are 35's I would guess maybe a small 37 but I doubt it.

that bolt patern is 5 on 5.5 so doing a quick monitor measure they look like 35's

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
There's no "you guys" it's just me. All I know is there was another Jeep there that had 35's, and these looked much larger. <shrug> Anyway...

Last edited:
D

DiscoD

35's?
44's?
What's the difference? They're all about the same, right?

muskyman

Explorer
There's no "you guys" it's just me. All I know is there was another Jeep there that had 35's, and these looked much larger. <shrug> Anyway...

attachment.php

here's a randon pic from cardomain that lists both jeeps being on 35" tires

looks pretty similar to what that guy in your pic is running to me.

my point was that truck did not look even look close to what a jeep on 44's looks like to a experienced eye.

and that takes me back to what seems to be a consistant theme...

Rob you need to stop talking from experience until you have some.

deep diving a DII is just stupid and is asking for major damage, thinking you are "managing" the situation is just kidding yourself.

Attachments

• 21653090002_large.jpg
    21653090002_large.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

Oilburner

Adventurer
Who cares. It's his truck. It still runs. He is having fun. Playing in the water is taking chances, plain and simple, it does not matter if it has an ECU, ten ECUs, an distributor, a jet turbine, unless your ride is a Schwimmwagen or an Amphicar, going for a swim takes its toll on equipment.

Rob, I think you should pull the carpets out ASAP. The sound insulation under the carpets gets wet and NEVER dries out. I would bet it will take a while to dry out, maybe just pull it up and let it air out.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Musky, whether they were 44's or 35's is not relevant to the actual discussion here. Stop focusing in on something that's pointless.

I got stuck, the computer got wet, I fixed it, here's the details. If that's not "speaking from experience", then... I dunno. Maybe I'm the first person to have actually attempted to fix the computer, and everybody else could benefit from the knowledge. Maybe there have been a lot of computers thrown out unnecessarily. If some people would listen when something new comes along instead of trashing it, the community would learn a lot more. You know, like my MAF sensor repair. I intend to put together something on that because it's significant. Here's how you check the voltage to make sure it's really your MAF, here's the VW part to use to save much money and have be able to find the part much more easily.

Oilburner, yeah, I know all about the carpets. When I bought the truck, the floor was rusty from being wet from the sunroof drains and AC leaking, I pulled the carpets then and Tremcladed underneath. In hindsight, I should have just pulled the carpets again, since I had the seats out to shampooing. But taking the center console out is a PITA. Anyway, I've gotten most of the water out at this point. One trick I actually just figured out yesterday is after getting as much out from underneath as you can with the shop vac, I put a Shamwow underneath the underpad, and it sucks the water out of the underpad. Just do that and wring it out every couple minutes, and repeat till the water stops coming out. From there, I'll probably be putting some sort of fan to blow air underneath. I'm also putting a dehumidifier in the truck overnight.

This process has been worse than just pulling the carpets, but I'm pretty far down this road now.

Gosh, am I qualified to speak from experience about Shamwows?

Last edited:

yubert

Explorer
Please do post the MAF info when you have the time. I remember reading about the VW parts on various websites such as Dweb but it looked a bit kludged from what I recall so I bought an aftermarket Bosch MAF and it worked. But I might have to replace the MAF on my other D2 since I'm getting P1172 and P1175 error codes.

It would be great to verify if the MAF is bad before shelling out the $$.

I intend to put together something on that because it's significant. Here's how you check the voltage to make sure it's really your MAF, here's the VW part to use to save much money and have be able to find the part much more easily.

muskyman

Explorer
Musky, whether they were 44's or 35's is not relevant to the actual discussion here. Stop focusing in on something that's pointless.

I got stuck, the computer got wet, I fixed it, here's the details. If that's not "speaking from experience", then... I dunno. Maybe I'm the first person to have actually attempted to fix the computer, and everybody else could benefit from the knowledge. Maybe there have been a lot of computers thrown out unnecessarily. If some people would listen when something new comes along instead of trashing it, the community would learn a lot more. You know, like my MAF sensor repair. I intend to put together something on that because it's significant. Here's how you check the voltage to make sure it's really your MAF, here's the VW part to use to save much money and have be able to find the part much more easily.

Oilburner, yeah, I know all about the carpets. When I bought the truck, the floor was rusty from being wet from the sunroof drains and AC leaking, I pulled the carpets then and Tremcladed underneath. In hindsight, I should have just pulled the carpets again, since I had the seats out to shampooing. But taking the center console out is a PITA. Anyway, I've gotten most of the water out at this point. One trick I actually just figured out yesterday is after getting as much out from underneath as you can with the shop vac, I put a Shamwow underneath the underpad, and it sucks the water out of the underpad. Just do that and wring it out every couple minutes, and repeat till the water stops coming out. From there, I'll probably be putting some sort of fan to blow air underneath. I'm also putting a dehumidifier in the truck overnight.

This process has been worse than just pulling the carpets, but I'm pretty far down this road now.

Gosh, am I qualified to speak from experience about Shamwows?

Rob

the Maf thread content was pretty good and nobody gave you any **** in that thread.

and your comment about the computer is also accurate and good information. most people dont get the idea that the water isnt the problem the conductivity is.

My comment is directly aimed at your continued comments about mechanical trucks being just as bad or even worse then highly sensored ECU stuffed trucks. And that is just not the case.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:I don't know but WOW:Wow1:...does shamwow actually work as good as the stupid ad says....tell me! I'll believe you.:coffeedrink:

Not sure if this is serious or not but... yeah, I got it as a gift. I can't say that it works any better or worse than any other synthetic absorber on the market. I use "The Absorber" for drying my car and it works well too. In any case, all these synthetic towels work WAY better than any cotton towel. And in this case, it really wicks the water out of the underpad.

My comment is directly aimed at your continued comments about mechanical trucks being just as bad or even worse then highly sensored ECU stuffed trucks. And that is just not the case.

I'm just stating my observations.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Not sure if this is serious or not but... yeah, I got it as a gift. I can't say that it works any better or worse than any other synthetic absorber on the market. I use "The Absorber" for drying my car and it works well too. In any case, all these synthetic towels work WAY better than any cotton towel. And in this case, it really wicks the water out of the underpad.

I'm just stating my observations.
No I was serious. I always wondered...I may have to buy one now....thanks:smiley_drive:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You can get something similar, maybe for less money, if you just buy a "The Absorber" from an auto detailing section in a store, or even a "camp towel" in a camping store. No need to give money to that annoying guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke