What are your pants of choice?

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I'm looking for some pants to wear while riding. Here are some blocks I would like to check

-waterproof
-can be worn when it's hot (100+)
-packs small
-if I crash, I would like to have a little bit of skin left on my legs to graft to and not some nubs that I can't put a tourniquet on
-be able to cinch down the ankles
-not super expensive (~$200)

I'm sure nearly every pant made fits most of these criteria, but I'm pretty new to wearing actual gear vs hopping on the 30 year old dirtbike to check the cows and fence line in just what I'm wearing. I've picked out a couple different jackets and boots that I'm still deciding on from threads on here and I really need some leg protection and would like to help others who are in the same boat as me.

Scott Brady

Founder
Given you needs, I would focus on under pant armor like hip/tailbone pads sewn into spanex shorts, then a good shin/knee pad. I bought a set of Thor pants with armor for less than $100 on sale. Now, I use a pair of Klim inside the boot pants in summer, then their badlands pant in Fall, winter, spring

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Let me begin by saying "Good Luck."

Not to be curt, but you really have a lot of competing desires. Waterproof and wearable in 100 degree weather probably won't truly happen - at least not comfortably. Comfort in 100 degrees requires mesh or massive venting, and neither of which help with keeping the water out - especially in a sub $200 pair of pants. If there is such a beast, I highly doubt it will pack small.

I wear Klim Mojave pants in the summer. They are mesh and vent very well, but in 100 degree weather I'm going to be sweaty no matter what I wear, so I don't really care a lot about summer pants being waterproof. The Mojaves are surprisingly resistant to light rain. But when the rain really comes down, I throw on a pair of Frogg Toggs over the top of them. They can be found for under $150 and are made with Cordura, which you don't typically find at that price point. They have minimal armor, so I added knee armor or I'll wear additional armor underneath.

I have a separate pair of pants I wear in the winter that are totally waterproof. In the winter breathability isn't a concern for me, but staying warm and dry is.

I guess my point is, you should consider more than one pair of pants or consider dropping your waterproof requirement and adding a pair of rain pants or Frogg Toggs.

A

agavelvr

Let me begin by saying "Good Luck."

this.

about the only thing close is probably Klim's Dakar over the boot pants. They are none of the things you are looking for entirely, but they are close when layering. I wore mine in 100 degree plus this past summer with a wicking base layer and the vents open. A few weeks ago I wore them for 7 hours in 25-35 degree misting rain and snow with a thermal layer underneath and managed to stay dry somehow. They have hip pockets for armor, can't remember if it was included or not because I have a pair of their Overland waterproof pants that probably came with the actual armor. You can buy it separately if needed. After crashing at 50+ mph and having Klim's armor shift on me leading to a nasty hip injury, I have since switched to wearing a pair of Forcefield armored shorts under my pants. For summer, I rock the mojave in the boot pants. All three are generous enough to fit my knee braces and armored shorts. I rarely wear the overland pants and jacket because I usually don't deal with a lot of rain here, plus you turn into a boil in the bag meal when working hard on the trail...even when it's freezing outside.

All that being said, if I had to have one pair of pants to deal with all you have described, I'd choose the Klim Dakars and layer appropriately. I wear my mojaves year 'round too, but never on overnight trips where rain, cold, or prolonged highway riding in 50 degree or less temps are a factor.

These pics were taken 6 months apart in hot AZ at about 2500' elevation :)

100 degrees plus, Klim Dakar w/Olympia mesh jacket

35 degree and lower, Klim Dakar (plus thermal base layer & fleece pants w/Olympia mesh jacket (plus included waterproof liner & fleece shirt)
i-3M2fB78-L.jpg

full vent mode :)
i-FZ76TpB-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I'm looking at the Klim Dakar and Mojave pants right now. Looking at their website, its hard for me to see the differences between the two. Also, for the inside the boot vs outside the boot is that just personal preference?

I'm not against layering at all. I already have some overpants that are waterproof so I guess I should just use those if needed.

A

agavelvr

I'm looking at the Klim Dakar and Mojave pants right now. Looking at their website, its hard for me to see the differences between the two. Also, for the inside the boot vs outside the boot is that just personal preference?

I'm not against layering at all. I already have some overpants that are waterproof so I guess I should just use those if needed.

The Mojave are essentially a mostly mesh/breathable stretch panel pants with some solid panels in the inner leg, knee, butt, crotch, and partial sides.

The Dakar are solid panel pants with some breathable stretch panels and two large thigh zipper vents.

My Mojaves are in the boot, my Dakars are over the boot. It's a preference thing. I will say, the over the boot pant will keep your boot buckles cleaner if you get in the muck and stop the rain from running into the top of your boot. In the boot pants tend to vent your boot better IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94