tacoma frame replacement

JMacs

Observer
I got a new frame on my 2004 last fall. Went in for new brakes, came out with a new frame. Well, came out 2 months later. Stealership treated me very well. New shocks and other bits installed with no charge for labor. They had to pull them off anyway. I also brought them in a new bumper. Again, no charge for labor.

Apparently, the issues are on frames produced in California. That is why it is only on Tacomas.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Oh, I thought there were issues with the Tundras/T100s and sequoias ? Maybe that was only in the past?
I believe it did affect Tundras, but maybe not to the same extent. I've never heard of the Hilux/Pickup/T100 being affected by this. The only ones I suspect would be late production (92-95) Pickups as these were made at NUMMI at the same plant that eventually produced Tacomas or the TMMI produced T100s in Indiana. However the frames on those were more substantial and may have had a different frame painting and anti-corrosion spec. The offending party was Dana (I believe they paid some claims or something to cover the frame replacement). Although I never been sure if it was negligence on their part or that Toyota NA simply spec'd a poorer frame.

Last edited:

yosh1975

Observer
I have read that Dana was at fault. Does that mean Dana is now paying for current Tacoma frame replacement? I have read that with parts and labor bill is between 12 and 15k, then add rental on top of that.
I would have gladly sold mine for 10k.

yosh1975

Observer
I just got response back from Toyota dealer that my frame is in but the wiring harness needed is not. They are expecting it to arrive early April. It's been over 5 months now that my truck has been sitting at dealer waiting. I did receive OME shocks and 883 coils to have put on when they get around to it!

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I can't believe it is taking this long. I was 11 days and back in my truck. That was in 2012 but it was a good experience for me. I couldn't imagine being without my truck for 5 months.

-jorge

v_man

Explorer
My gawd I would flip a biscuit if they kidnapped my truck for 5+ months , rental or no rental ... why not take it to another dealer ? Please post the name of this dealer as a public service so that we may all steer clear of them ...

yosh1975

Observer
I would post the name of dealer but this is about the average wait period for this round of frame replacements. I was told by a case manager for Toyota that the reason it's taking so long is because they didn't expect so many Tacomas to have this problem. I am very disappointed in the communication from dealer and Toyota, if I don't call them there is no communication. I will be "talking" with Toyota about my frustrations with this process but I am pretty sure I will be wasting my time. It is aggravating but in the long run I think it will be worth the wait. Unless I move out West or down South I don't think I will be purchasing another Tacoma.
Surldiesel, how's the new frame holding up?

JLee

Adventurer
I have read that Dana was at fault. Does that mean Dana is now paying for current Tacoma frame replacement? I have read that with parts and labor bill is between 12 and 15k, then add rental on top of that.
I would have gladly sold mine for 10k.

Toyota bought mine back in 2008 ('98 4x4 V6 x-cab with 198k) for $12,142.50. :)

I guess that got too expensive (they were buying trucks back at 1.5x KBB value) so they started replacing frames instead.

05TacoMike

Hey everyone. I bought my truck new in 05 and it currently has 130k miles on it. Anyways I took it in for inspection in January and the frame failed but unlike others here I was allowed to continue to drive it until the new frame comes in for replacement. In addition to the frame I was told by the dealer that they may have to replace the front steering rack, at my expense, because they have seen many of them fail while doing the frame replacements. Anybody else hear of this issue before?

yosh1975

Observer
I would have loved for them to buy mine back. Would have got a cheap chevy/ford pickup and a decent 4runner!
I had a large hole in my frame, about the diameter of pop can.
When they originally inspected they mentioned a new front rack but with my money. It would be easiest to do with frame off but I will wait to see their estimate for parts and labor. They also mentioned I should be replacing entire uca, because Toyota doesn't do just ball joint!

Why are you waiting sooooooooooooooooo long???? If they are unable to replace under recall then they need to buy it back from you like they use to do at like 1.5-2 times mint condition no matter the condition. There is no way in hell my truck would still be sitting at dealer. You my friend have the patience of a saint!!
I just got response back from Toyota dealer that my frame is in but the wiring harness needed is not. They are expecting it to arrive early April. It's been over 5 months now that my truck has been sitting at dealer waiting. I did receive OME shocks and 883 coils to have put on when they get around to it!

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I'm through my second winter so far but it took 12 years for the old frame to fail, I figure I've got 10 at least before I see any problems with this one. I have my issues with all car companies but Toyota has done right by me. I even had luck today at the same dealer that did my frame. I had a manifold gasket replaced last April and it started leaking again a few months back. Someone at the dealership said it wasn't that and it was "injectors". Well last week it got really loud and sure enough, I was right and they fixed it for free. Kind of annoying but its a 14 year old truck with no payment and only 140XXX miles.

Back to the frame. I brought it in for an oil change and alignment. They were trying to do the alignment but it was rusted pretty solid. They then re-check the frame for rust and it failed. I drove out of the dealership with my new frame after about 11 days and paid 29.95. Didn't even try to sell me wiper blades. I think it all depends on the dealership and the people that work there. I used to avoid dealers like the plague but I was having no luck with private mechanics and ended up working on my own truck anyway. I use my coupons and I know the dealers are using a fine tooth comb looking to make money. I'm an educated consumer and can make educated decisions based on service advice. Heck, the one service advisor today asked me if I had a V6 or V8. I drive an 01 reg cab...it's sad when you know more than the service advisors but that's not hard to do anymore.

5 months though. You better be driving a rental Tundra!!! I was never able to get a rental truck, through the latest frame replacement and the original buyback of my 98 tacoma. Both times a car. What the heck do you do with a car???

Best of luck with the frame. If you want parts swapped, shocks, brakes and such. Most dealers will do it for cost of the parts or if you supply them, free labor. Just an idea.

-jorge

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
They bought back my 1996 4x4 in 2008. I wanted a new frame, but they would not do it. I pad $10,500 for it in 2002, they gave me $10,700 for it.

I *almost* bought a 2008, but went with a Jeep instead. I had no idea the next generation had issues too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online