tacoma frame replacement

yosh1975

Observer
Just curious if anyone has had their frame replaced d/t service bulletin.
My 2005 reg cab 4x4 2.7 w/ manual has been in shop for 3 months awaiting new frame and some other stuff.
Probably going to do shocks/struts while its in, OME.

TacomaJack09

Observer
My 2.7 got its frame replaced in November. I was very pleased with Toyota's service and am very happy customer. I had them install 5100's on each corner while it was there.

yosh1975

Observer
So far how you liking it? The new suspension alot different? Any other items replaced? Do you think it increased the value of your tacoma? Thanks for the response

Surlybeast

Value added is only going to be with people who know about the rust issues and might be looking for a truck with a fresh frame. Otherwise, to anyone else, a truck comes with a frame. If the frame is rusty, it reduces value, if the frame is brand new, it's worth market value or what someone will pay. People ask me all the time if their house is worth more with a new roof or new furnace. No, a house comes with those items. If those items are bad or worn out it reduces value but brand new ones only bring you back to market value.

Two Cents. And it's not worth that.

-jorge

01 Reg Cab Tacoma

TacomaJack09

Observer
Loving it so far, the steering feels tight and the ride is smooth. Toyota also had a recall on my leaf pack so I received brand new leafs to go with the new shocks. My truck had 188k miles when the frame was replaced, so it feels like a new truck again. They replaced a good deal of parts that were attached to the frame IE brake lines and some other misc items. Every rusty bolt was replaced with a new one.
I would agree with the poster above that it doesn't add value but it does bring the truck from "good" condition to "excellent" according to KBB.
I was very happy with the service and actually surprised they tracked me down to have the service done. I bought the truck used with 140k miles and didn't expect anything from Toyota! Good on Toyota to correct an issue instead of ignore it.

Japsfinest

This is the first I hear if a frame replacement. Do you find filling us in on why they would do this OR what the recall is about?

yosh1975

Observer
Just enter vin number on toyota website. Either frame gets a coating or replaced.12-15k worth of parts and labor, including lower a arms. They also provide a rental while you wait. I have been in rental since October. I feel it's an excellent deal , for me

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...tacoma-could-have-frame-rust-may-get-free-fix

Toyota has launched a limited service campaign for some 2005-2008 Toyota Tacomas currently registered in salt-belt-states due to rusting frames. Toyota has received multiple reports of Tacoma frames exhibiting "more-than-normal" corrosion.

On affected vehicles, should the frame rust through to a hole, vehicle safety could be compromised, given that critical suspension components, engine and transmission mounts, and body mountings all anchor to the vehicle's frame. In addition, the vehicle's crash-worthiness and structural integrity could be compromised.

The fix

On affected vehicles, Toyota dealers will remove the surface rust and inspect the frame for rust perforation. Should the frame be found not perforated, dealers will apply corrosion-resistant compounds to the frame at no charge to owners. Should the frame be perforated by rust, dealers will replace the frame at no charge to owners on all affected vehicles. Owners should plan on leaving the truck for a full day for proper inspection and corrosion treatment. Should a truck need a new frame, it will take at least a week to repair, and dealers will provide a loaner car.

States included in letter.

CT. DE. IL. IN. KY. MA. MD. ME. MI. MN. NH. NJ. NY. OH. PA. RI. VA. VT. WI. WV.

Letter reads

Toyota has received reports that certain 2005 through 2009 model year Tacoma vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt use may exhibit more-than-normal corrosion to the vehicles frame. Toyota investigated these reports and determined that the frames in some vehicles may not have corrosion-resistant protection sufficient for use in these areas.

This combined with prolonged exposure to road salts and other environmental factors, may contribute to the development of more-than-normal rust in the frame of some vehicles. This condition is unrelated to and seperate from normal surface rust which is commonly found on metallic surfaces after some years of usage and/or exposure to the environment.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I thought I saw verbiage somewhere that they had extended the service bulletin to cover up to 2011, but wouldn't swear to it at the moment.

yosh1975

Observer
TacomaJack09, did you get new coils with the shocks? Where did you set the height at for shocks? How is the rake?
I am thinking OME but may reconsider d/t costs and wanting to purchase a 4runner.

TacomaJack09

Observer
No, I transferred my stock coils over and set the Billies to .75" (I think) which is the very first setting which levels it out with the back perfectly without TSB leaf springs.

OME and ICON are my first choice but not my wallets. Haha

jds0912

Adventurer
My 07 is in the shop currently for a frame replacement - well sitting in the parking lot at the dealership... Apparently there is a backorder on frames, and I'm not allowed to drive it in its current state so it will be sitting until March when the get some frames. Sucks I wont have my truck all winter, but a new frame will be nice since my last one was totally rusty.

yosh1975

Observer
I have been waiting since October for my replacement. The dealer has provided a rental the entire time. I had a 4 door 4x4 f150 until it was recalled. Now driving a Dodge Journey.
It's a little aggravating but I will have a new frame on my 2005!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94