GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Pest

Adventurer
I appologize if this has been answered, I tried searching but couldn't find the answer to my question: Has the express/savana ever been offered in AWD, passenger van, long wheel base combo?

Nope, short wheel base only, sadly.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I appologize if this has been answered, I tried searching but couldn't find the answer to my question: Has the express/savana ever been offered in AWD, passenger van, long wheel base combo?
Nope. Only regular wheelbase.
Cargo or passenger were both available.

JayKray

Hi All,
Has anyone here installed air springs/bags, besides Choff?
I couldn't find them for a 1500 AWD. I even asked Air-Lift since they had them listed for the 2500 and 3500, but they said they couldn't make a recommendation for our vans. Mine van is a 2011 awd passenger with traxda front keys and 1" lift block in the rear. I would like a little more lift in the rear, more weight capacity and better sway control, so that's why I was looking at air bags. I also like the idea of the adjustability over going with the suburban 2500 springs. Also, recently, I've heard of clearance issues with the suburban springs.
Also, why does everyone use the suburban spring over a 2500 van spring?

Thanks,
Jay

dleeallen

Adventurer
Same thoughts I've been having JayKray! I want a little lift, maybe an inch, but not too much as I don't want to screw up the alignment. I also want a little more capacity in the rear for the occasional towing or heavy loads. I've been toying with a slightly upgraded spring along with bags. There are a number of spring packs available for the vans to get various capacity increases. Could go with one just a couple hundred pounds heavier for example - https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/22-1169.htm 2485 vs 2240 lbs The pack is a little thicker but I believe the arch is about that much less so net zero lift. If needed add a small lift block like you have and the air bags for heavy loads. You keep the majority of the nice supple ride, gain a little lift, and gain a bunch of capacity as needed.

Len.Barron

Observer
I would do just air bags first, my bet is that you'll get all of what you're looking for with just that. I'm going to run stock 2500 springs on my build (a lot heavier than you guys are) with air lift dominator bags to tune for load/ride height and sway control.

dleeallen

Adventurer
I'd also be worried the 2500 bags are too beefy for my needs. I don't know much about them - would you just run them at very low pressure to only get an extra 1k capacity? The Airlift system is "Up to 5,000 lbs. of load-leveling capacity" which seems like way overkill.

JayKray

The bags listed for the 1500 Silverado are also 5000 lb. I recently rode in my buddy's truck who had air lift in the rear and it handled and took bumps very nicely. He was pushing the truck way harder than I would ever push the van. That ride is what got my on the air bag kick. Yes, I think you just run very low pressure unloaded.

Len.Barron

Observer
I didn't bother with a kit, I just bought bags and some prefab mount plates and welded it all in on my own. My hope is that low pressure will be all that's needed most of the time.

Attachments

• c30.JPG
    c30.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 61
  • c31.JPG
    c31.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 62
  • c32.JPG
    c32.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 61
  • c33.JPG
    c33.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 57
  • c34.JPG
    c34.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 53

Choff

Adventurer
I didn't bother with a kit, I just bought bags and some prefab mount plates and welded it all in on my own. My hope is that low pressure will be all that's needed most of the time.

THATS WHAT I SAID!! EZ'Y PZY
I have been running air bags on a leaf spring 2005 GMC Savana AWD in Wisconsin for over 100,000 miles and love them for towing and daily driving, I have a very simple direct lines to each bag, and just air up when towing. Only have had to replace air lines once. I Got these bags from my sold 2000 Ford Exp. (bought bags new) traded Ford for the Van and took off air bags first)
then made new steel angle brackets and used the ford expl air bags, so far so good -lots of miles. And its not hard to do.
I notice cornering improved and side to side rocking. Run about 10 lbs empty
No problems with cold weather.

Choff

Adventurer

Except my Van body was on !!! I did not weld them on-used self tapping bolts into frame

fire_strom

Adventurer
Thanks JayKray. Hadn't seen that. I have 3/4 Sub springs under mine and have just a slight rub from that bolt. Pretty easy to flip the bolt so the head is towrd the frame. That would yeild plenty of clearance.
-G
It's mentioned here on post #15, but I saw other complaints that were similar. It might be an easy fix, it may be that the keepers are specific left to right and they installed them opposite. I'm not sure.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/new-van-life-addict.196943/

JayKray

Thanks JayKray. Hadn't seen that. I have 3/4 Sub springs under mine and have just a slight rub from that bolt. Pretty easy to flip the bolt so the head is towrd the frame. That would yeild plenty of clearance.
-G

Good to know, I hadn't actually seen any pictures. I'm still interested in why people use 2500 Suburban springs over 2500 van springs. I'm guessing they might be slightly lower and slightly softer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior