GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Hobbs67

I just did the Rough Country lift on my 2009 Savana AWD. I used NAPA gas shocks off a 2500 van for the back end. They are a couple of inches longer than a 1500 van shock, and bolt right in. The part number is NS 76763. I have plenty of room for my 285/70R17 Coopers on factory GMC alloys..

Last edited:

Mr. Nacho

Yo Hobbs67, I'd like so more info about you tire size choice! I'm getting ready to do a build and what to put on so 285/70R17.... Most people end up with tire rub with that size....

Guoseph

Is there a thread or info about adding a G80 to an Express 1500 AWD that did not come with one?

Where can I buy the components?

Any walkthroughs on install?

Thanks very much,

Alex

Michaeldinpc

I wouldn't think installing a g80 would be worth the effort unless you can find a deal on a complete rear axle with low miles. G80's don't have the best reputation for function or reliability.... If it was me and I needed / wanted to change out the rear end I'd go with a Detroit Tru-Trac. I have had one in my Sierra for 75k HARD miles and it still works great.

Michaeldinpc

I swapped out the stock rear leaf springs in my van yesterday and thought I'd share my findings with you guys.
I picked up a pair springs off of 2011 2500 express van for $70. Not an option for everyone I'm sure but I work and play out of my van and just picked up a 20'x8.5' enclosed trailer so I needed the extra support in the rear for the extra tongue weight and couldn't beat the price.

There was a 1.75" difference in height with the springs side by side (as pictured) not to mention the 2500 leaf springs have a lot less give when under load. Comparing the two springs the 2500 leafs where thicker, longer, didn't taper toward the ends, and had an extra leaf.
The stock u-bolts that came on the AWD where barely long enough (end of u-bolt is flush with nut when assembled) I probably could have lived with that but for some reason my driver side u bolts have warn 1/2 way through so I'll be installing all new u bolts that are a 1/2" longer asap.
Also I have to get some new shocks ordered, stock shocks where about a half inch short when the rear suspension was all the way down and the frame of van on jack stands (had to lift the rear axle to get the bolt back through the shock when putting it back together). They will probably be fine for on road use but I do take this van off road for work and play so they've got to go.

After I got everything back together I took it for a test drive down some of the worst roads I could think of around my house and if anything I like the ride better than before. feels much better on curves / corners (less body role), and the ride isn't any rougher than before.
I didn't get measurements of the van's rear ride height before and after but I would guesstimate I got a good 3 to 4 inches of lift in the rear with the normal #1000-#1500 load of tools and supplies I keep in it IMG_3012.jpgIMG_3013.jpg

tipk99

Hi all! This is great reading. My first post to the site... I'm thinking of picking up one of these guys for an adventure vehicle for my wife, 4 year old, dog and I. One thing I'm having a hard time finding is a distance from the back of the front seats to the inside of the rear door. Also, the distance from the back of the stock 2nd row to the inside of the rear door. Anyone who's got one of these vans have these dimensions?

Thanks! Looking forward to learning more - and contributing when I eventually know something.

Tom

Guoseph

I wouldn't think installing a g80 would be worth the effort unless you can find a deal on a complete rear axle with low miles. G80's don't have the best reputation for function or reliability.... If it was me and I needed / wanted to change out the rear end I'd go with a Detroit Tru-Trac. I have had one in my Sierra for 75k HARD miles and it still works great.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into it.

Do you know what model TrueTrac fits a 2006 Express? What other hardware is required/recommended as part of the install?

Thanks very much,

Alex

North

Observer
Anybody have experience removing the rear HVAC unit from one of the these vans? Are any of the components integrated into the bodywork, or can it all be removed completely?

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Passenger airbag dash cover recall with swivel passenger seat

So GM has released a recall for passenger airbag equipped express and savanna vans that replaces the passenger dash airbag cover with a larger one. Has anyone with a swivel passenger seat had the recall done? I am curious how much it effects the amount the passenger seat can recline when facing rearward?
If you are not familiar with the recall here is the entire notice:
Recall Number: 14V117000Recall Date: 03/17/2014
Component: AIR BAGS:FRONTAL

Problem Summary: GENERAL MOTORS LLC (GM) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2014 CHEVROLET EXPRESS AND GMC SAVANA VANS MANUFACTURED JANUARY 27, 2009, THROUGH MARCH 7, 2014 WITH A GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING OF 10,000 POUNDS AND LESS AND EQUIPPED WITH FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAGS. IN THE AFFECTED VEHICLES, DURING A FRONTAL IMPACT BELOW THE AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT THRESHOLD, IF AN UNBELTED FRONT PASSENGER'S HEAD HITS THE INSTRUMENT PANEL ABOVE WHERE THE PASSENGER AIR BAG IS LOCATED, THE PANEL MAY NOT SUFFICIENTLY ABSORB THE IMPACT. AS SUCH, THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NUMBER 201, "OCCUPANT PROTECTION IN INTERIOR IMPACT.

Consequence: IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH BELOW THE AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT THRESHOLD, AN UNBELTED FRONT PASSENGER SEAT OCCUPANT HAS AN INCREASED RISK OF INJURY.

What Owners Should Do: GM WILL NOTIFY OWNERS. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A REMEDY PLAN OR NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. CHEVROLET OWNERS MAY CALL 1-800-630-2438. GMC OWNERS MAY CALL 1-866-996-9463. GM'S NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS 14082.

I found this video (not mine) that shows the new pieces installed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6h0Id7N5AM

Last edited:

Pest

Adventurer
We don't have a swivel seat, but we did get the airbag recall thing done last year on our van. Despite how it looks in the video, it only sticks out a half inch to one inch more than the original piece did.

At first I didn't like it... but the wife likes how it makes a nice shelf with a little indent on top. Perfect for holding up her camp mirror. :rolleyes:

TeleSteve

Adventurer
We don't have a swivel seat, but we did get the airbag recall thing done last year on our van. Despite how it looks in the video, it only sticks out a half inch to one inch more than the original piece did.

At first I didn't like it... but the wife likes how it makes a nice shelf with a little indent on top. Perfect for holding up her camp mirror. :rolleyes:

I have had the recall performed with the new dash panel and have a swivel seat. No problems

Thanks for the info, I guess I will let them perform the recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles