GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Scotty D

Aftermarket carpet kits for the front of the van are cheap for even the prior model of express. They are also molded and cut perfectly with vinyl sewn in under the accelorator pedal
Doing it will flat carpet is not nearly the same.

Len.Barron

Observer
Still no aftermarket carpet kit available for these vans. Surely it must mean that the older kit still fits with some minor alterations right?
2003 to 2014 is just a huge market to not be served at all .
Has anyone ever tried this?
other than the engine opening being a little larger(more cut out on the passenger side) for the newer 4.8/5.3/6.0 LS engines on the 03 and up (than the 5.7, 5.0 in the older) and the molded area around the body fuse box under the seat I can't imagine it could be a lot of work to make it fit...I'm going to buy a new one for mine, it will certainly need to be cut for the much larger duramax engine cover and I switched to the 03 and up body fuse box so I guess I'll see how that goes..

stevets

Thought I'd share my experience with some mods. I have a 2013 AWD 1500 Express. I bought :
These torsion keys for $23 each - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y63RWWH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These front shocks for $75 each - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYNJAVW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These rears shocks for $81 each - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AN1KOD4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 2900 lb rear leafs from General Spring for the 90's Suburban - PN 22-907 - for $140 each lus $90 to ship.

I scored some Denali wheels ( 17 inch x 7.5) on Craigslist for $150 and added about $25 worth of rattle can paint - 2 color coats, 3 clear.

Hankook Dyna Pro AT tires size 265/70/17. I 've had a set of these on my 4Runner for about 35K and like them. Reasonably quiet on the road and I've never been stuck! I intended to go bigger on the tires but found these at jet.com for $110 each delivered!

Here she is the way I bought
IMG_1160[1].JPG
I measured center top on bumpers front and rear before and after lift. Front went from 23 3/4 to 28 = 2.75 inches
Rear went from 18.5 to 21 3/4 = 3 1/4
I really wanted to install the springs and keys but it's been a cold, rainy Fall here, this thing won't fit in my garage, I've never done either of these jobs on any vehicle and I found a guy who did both for $400. Not too painful and I suspect i saved some shouted cursing for another day. With rear springs and torsion bar lift

IMG_1189[1].JPG

stevets

Next added the front shocks, wheels/tires and another full turn of torsion key bolts. Front went to 28" ( + 3/4) and back to 22.5 (+ 1.5) and here is how it sits today. The new rear shocks will go in this weekend and then an alignment. I have not driven this rig enough to have an informed opinion on any changes in ride quality or handling but I have not noticed any significant difference - still rides and drives great!
IMG_1193[1].JPG

kntr

Observer
Did they ever make an AWD with sliding doors on both sides or barn doors on both sided? Pics?

45Kevin

Adventurer
Yes, I believe its barn doors on both sides but it might be sliders. I have only ever seen one.

Definitely with the barn doors, as with mine.
I've never seen sliding doors on the driver's side.

Do the spring pack brackets on your new rear springs rub on the frame?
There are several instances, including mine, on this site of the front bracket rubbing on the frame.

45Kevin

Adventurer
Yes, I believe its barn doors on both sides but it might be sliders. I have only ever seen one.

There are several instances, including mine, on this site of the front bracket rubbing on the frame.

stevets

The bolts did rub on the frame. I don't know if there is a right and left spring - sure looked the same to me. But I paid someone to install them and they put them with the nut ( and thus the extra bolt sticking out) facing the frame. I cut a small amount off the bolts but don't see why you could not just have the nut on the outside and eliminate this problem.

I have barn doors on both side also but have never seen double sliders.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Anyone have experience with Fox shocks vs Bilstein on our AWD vans? Agile says they have fitment for Fox but I have to wonder if they are worth double the cost? I've had OEM Bilstein's on a TRD Tundra but no other experience and none with Fox. My van is primarily a pavement queen with occasional rough/dirt roads. Nothing too severe.

wjeeper

I have spent 30-40 hours with a friend playing around with the valving of bilstien shocks for my AWD express, lonh story short I came to the conclusion that there was an off the shelf oprion available for the fronts of our vans. If memory serves me only the rebound shim stack was different. Plus they are remote resi shocks!

I am not 100% sure off the top of my head the application they are from but I can look it up tonight. You might have to be lifted 3+ inches though.......

The rear I am still running blown pro-crap shocks, luckily I don't have to sit back there ;)

b. rock

I've been looking through dozens of ads, and having an FZJ80 the easy way to spot a factory locker option is the factory switch. I can't seem to see anything on any of the dash of the Express to indicate which ones do have the factory locker, and which ones don't. Outside of asking for a shot of the RPO codes on the glovebox, anyone have an easy way to tell which ones have the locker and which don't? I'd hazard a guess that most that got the locker also got the 3.73 diffs, but who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles