GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

MVLSlip

Been there....currently there sort of. I’m not sure you can add a half in but one thing I’ve done is to unscrew the sliding track from the inside, pull the track away from the body a bit, and essentially shim it from there with rubber or neoprene washers over the screws that are welded to the track. Seals up nicely and you can’t even notice it even if you’re looking. If that isn’t quite enough you can trim the lower portion of you plastic interior paneling on the sliding door and replace it with aluminum sheeting as a sort of kick plate.

Thanks for the washer idea. I might be able get just enough clearance going that route.

Thanks again

blanksky

I just ordered the Traxda leveling kit and the appropriate new Bilstein shocks. What size bumpstocks should I order to best work with this setup? My stock ones are trashed.

jmvar

Hi guys, lots of talk about shocks for lifted AWD vans.

I'd like to keep my van at the current stock height and would like to upgrade the shocks to reduce the wallowy ride it has now. Any suggestions on shocks for my situation?

Thanks

jmvar

Another question, lots of talk online about the use of synthetic 75w90 in the front diff for trucks and it possibly causing leaks. What are you guys running in your front diffs? Are you running synthetic or conventional fluid?

stuntman mike

Another question, lots of talk online about the use of synthetic 75w90 in the front diff for trucks and it possibly causing leaks. What are you guys running in your front diffs? Are you running synthetic or conventional fluid?
I used just that after speaking with the dealership parts deptartment (it's only $12 a liter and I used 1.5). The one thing I can't get confirmation on is how high to fill the front diff. Common practice was fill until it overflows, but I thought I read about a service bulletin about leaving it shy 12mm/1". I left mine shy, because I replaced an axle seal and didn't want extra pressure, but I'm also concerned about not getting the appropriate amount of oil to the axle bearing.

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
Express 1500 AWD common noises?

Does you Express/Savannah AWD make any strange noises?

My 5.3 has about 180,000 miles on it and I hear a good amount of engine lifter noise, I get a strange noise that sounds like a hydraulic pump whining anytime the vehicle is in motion, clunks from the transmission when starting/stopping as well as shifting from forward to reverse and some wind noise between my driver door and the van frame.

Anyone else experience any of this?

I've run sea foam in the oil which reduced the lifter noise a bit, I've changed the front diff fluid, the transmission fluid is full. I've also got good oil pressure (usually in thec 40 to 50 psi range). I just put in a new radiator and the engine runs cool and a new alternator which gives a steady 14 volts.

I can live with the lifter noise, but the transmission clunking is getting annoying.

bdog1

Adventurer
You sure that lifter noise isn’t the exhaust ticking( leaking)? More noticeable cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eaglevo

Express 1500 AWD common noises?

Does you Express/Savannah AWD make any strange noises?

My 5.3 has about 180,000 miles on it and I hear a good amount of engine lifter noise, I get a strange noise that sounds like a hydraulic pump whining anytime the vehicle is in motion, clunks from the transmission when starting/stopping as well as shifting from forward to reverse and some wind noise between my driver door and the van frame.

Anyone else experience any of this?

I've run sea foam in the oil which reduced the lifter noise a bit, I've changed the front diff fluid, the transmission fluid is full. I've also got good oil pressure (usually in thec 40 to 50 psi range). I just put in a new radiator and the engine runs cool and a new alternator which gives a steady 14 volts.

I can live with the lifter noise, but the transmission clunking is getting annoying.
I get a pretty hard clunk only when it downshifts to 1st when throttling out of a slow turn or corner. If I ease into the gas, the downshift has no clunk. I've looked at all the drivetrain mounts and universals and everything is tight.

drsmonkey

Observer
I get a pretty hard clunk only when it downshifts to 1st when throttling out of a slow turn or corner. If I ease into the gas, the downshift has no clunk. I've looked at all the drivetrain mounts and universals and everything is tight.

I've got about 250k on mine, similar noises.

An overlooked thing to check are the bushings that are between the cross member the torsion keys are inside of and the frame. If all other bushings check out, then it might be the trans. Pull the pan and check for metal.

Clunking at shift in mine is (I think) from worn sprag clutches. Yours might be something else. If you downshift into 3rd or 2nd and lift off the throttle at a higher speed for the gear you will see the rpms drop all the way down to idle instead of decreasing with speed, then clunk when you get back on the throttle and rpms go back up if it is the sprags. I figure the easiest thing to do is run it until I lose a gear then replace the trans.

I also get the hard clunk that when turning and getting on it in first. I suspect either engine mount or sway bar mount or link bushings. Next time it is in the shop I'll try to diagnose and will try to remember to get back here.

I'm also starting to suspect it might be transfer case related, based on getting some binding at low speed high steering angle binding.

"Lifter" noise for me is from a broken exhaust manifold bolt. If the noise goes away when hot, it is likely exhaust related. If it stays the same or gets louder when hot, might be lifters. If it is an exhaust leak you might get a CEL showing lean condition on bank 1 or 2 with a cat efficiency code for same bank.

For reference, I have replaced LCA bushings and ball joints, UCA's including ball joints and bushings, inner and outer tie rods, shocks, rear springs, u-bolts, hanger and shackle bushings, and rear shocks.

For the wind noise check all your door seals against a newer van (2500 and 3500 are the same and easier to find then a 1500) and see if gaps between door and body are even and consistent.

I HATE drive train noise, and generally go overboard replacing everything I can think of to fix them, but with this van I am starting to learn to live with it and accept that it is part of driving a high mileage van. I have put 80k miles on this van through a lot of rough roads, and despite the noises it has yet to let me down. I drove 800 miles last week, a good portion of that on roads that I was walking lines and wishing for 4low.

Next on my list (after the manifold bolt) is re-gearing with complete front and rear diff rebuild and universal joints front and back. I have slim hope that maybe that might take care of some of the clunking I hear, but probably just wishful thinking.

alejandrof1

I just ordered the Traxda leveling kit and the appropriate new Bilstein shocks. What size bumpstocks should I order to best work with this setup? My stock ones are trashed.
Hey dude I just got the same Traxda lift keys and 1 block in the rear. What shocks did you run? Thanks.

45Kevin

Adventurer
Somewhere in first few pages of this thread are part numbers for various brands that fit the 2-3" lift.

Roamin' Chariot

I just had an issue with 2011 Stabilitrak. The van started flashing the Stabilitrak warning and then promptly put the van (2011 AWD GMC) into reduced power mode. I was a long way from a repair shop so between the codes going away after shut-off/restart cycles and/or pulling the battery cables I limped to the dealer. The last day we were driving in route the dealer ... no issues ... the dealer found nothing with the stored codes that led to any repairs. Their recommendation was to disconnect the aftermarket cruise and see if that was the cause since the only consistent error code they found was related to the throttle pedal.

I'll take any help you've got.

Has anyone else had issues the the aftermarket Rostra 250-9608 cruise control for these old cargo vans?

Roamin' Chariot

Just found this at the Rostra site ... perhaps the dealer is on to something.

250-9608 CRUISE CONTROL FALL IN LIMP MODE
Created by: Chris Adams
Modified on: Thu, 4 Apr, 2019 at 10:35 AM

ROSTRA CRUIZE CONTROL , INSTALLED WITH CHEVY EXPRESS 2017 WITH KIT 250-9608

ISSUE WAS CAR FALLS IN LIMP MODE

INSTALL GUIDE USED IS GOOD , BUT CHECK 2 THINGS

THE GROUND WIRE FROM THE HARNESS, WILL BE A BLACK WIRE , THIS MUST BE CUT AND RE GROUNDED TO PIN 4 OBD2

ALSO CHECK IGN WIRE KEY OFF 0VOLTS-12VOLTS WITH KEY ON-10VOLTS ROUGHLY WHEN CRANK

IF THIS ALL IS DONE CORRECTLY AND STILL FAILS , FALLS IN LIMP MODE , THEN CHANGE UNIT.

ROAD TEST 50 OR SO KM MIN AND SEE IF IT WORKS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles