GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

david.lemke

Adventurer
That's a great question........I have a full set of fild out Windows for my van and I need to install these also......following this

AKPhil

Should I buy an Express or Savana AWD Van?

Hello guys,

First post here on the forum. I have been on the SMB Forum for a while (and someone pointed me in this direction), and many years ago, visited both SMB and QuadVan. I have 'circled back' around on my van interest. I just can't deny how purposeful the right van could be in my life!

I am interested in an Express or Savana van. For my purposes (passenger use only, occasional light towing under 500lbs, nearly all on-road use, traction on snow and ice, etc.), these vans should be sufficient in the 1500 to 2500 suspensions. MOST IMPORTANTLY, they are available in my area. I live in Alaska. Availability of vans, and reduction of serious logistical pain (inspection and payment of an unseen vehicle, shipping to 4x4 builder, transport to Alaska, etc., etc.) are all issues that I would rather not deal with. If I was in the 'lower 48', things would be much different for me.

I don't want to do anything drastic. I think a 3" lift kit to get a better 'stance', ground clearance, and 30-33" tires underneath would be a first priority. Then, some auxilliary lights, a bench seat that will lay back into a bed, vinyl flooring, and I am pretty much good to go.

Reliability and durability of the engine and transmission, AWD, and StabiliTrac systems are of utmost importance. Please advise on these areas based on your ownership and/or experience, and my intended use. How do these vans hold up when serviced and maintained properly?

Thanks very much in advance,
Phil

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Reliability and durability of the engine and transmission, AWD, and StabiliTrac systems are of utmost importance. Please advise on these areas based on your ownership and/or experience, and my intended use. How do these vans hold up when serviced and maintained properly?

Thanks very much in advance,
Phil

Welcome Phil,

I have read mixed reviews of the stabilitrac system. Personally my van doesn't have it and I prefer it that way. You may want to read up on it a little bit.

Everything else is just standard GM parts used on their pickups, Tahoe's, Suburban's ect.
The 5.3l engine seems to be good for 200k or more.
The 4L60E is maybe a bit undersized in a full-size vehicle used for towing a lot. But they still seem to last more times then not.

Ultimately in my mind when maintained and not used to the limit these vans should go 200-250k miles without major component replacemant no problem.

Good luck!

david.lemke

Adventurer
I have the 4.3 in mine...400k on the dial, we have others that hit 500k and never been opened up for internal service.......we have 6.0 in other on its ranging between 330 and 400k on them as well, the weak link in the ls v8 is the oil pumps, replace oil pump at 220k and go another 200k no problem

North

Observer
Can anybody with a sliding door advise as to how much clearance there is for larger tires? I see that most with the slider are running 265/70/R17. Is this highly dependent on wheel backspacing? Any chance of fitting a 33" tire (assuming the ~4" of total lift).

Accrete

Explorer
On our 2010 chevy awd 1500 we are running the aforementioned 265/70/r17 tires. With slider open we have about ~2 inches or so clearance outward. BUT this size is all I would try to fit with only a ~3" lift as we have on our rig.

And I suppose this goes unstated but... these vans are no longer in production. So the only way to find one is on the used market at this point.

YMMV,
Thom

North

Observer
Thanks Thom. In my search for a used Express/Savana I'd been limiting myself to the barn door models due to concerns about tire clearance. Sounds like the slider is not as much of a limitation as I thought.

Russmocksyou

18X9 wheels??

Has anyone tried a wider wheel on an Express Van? I have a 2008 Chevy Express AWD with about 3" lift from Supermaxx and would like to put 18's on it. Would go with a 265/60R18 (30.5" diameter) or 265/65R18 (31.5" diameter) but need to know if I would get rubbing in the wheel well? Also, what offset would be best and does anyone know the OEM Offset for a 2008 1500 AWD? Appreciate all of your threads and suggestions. Feel free to PM me. Thanks -Russ

simple

Adventurer
Has anyone tried a wider wheel on an Express Van? I have a 2008 Chevy Express AWD with about 3" lift from Supermaxx and would like to put 18's on it. Would go with a 265/60R18 (30.5" diameter) or 265/65R18 (31.5" diameter) but need to know if I would get rubbing in the wheel well? Also, what offset would be best and does anyone know the OEM Offset for a 2008 1500 AWD? Appreciate all of your threads and suggestions. Feel free to PM me. Thanks -Russ

I'm curious about your lift. When I looked on the Supermaxx website I didn't see and express or savana option.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I'm curious about your lift. When I looked on the Supermaxx website I didn't see and express or savana option.

Check out post #43 from this thread.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/47398-Chevy-AWD/page5?highlight=AWD+1500

Many of the lift kits being used don't specify that they are for our vans.

The Suspension Kit Used to raise my Chevrolet Express 1500 is the Suspension Maxx Part #MAXXCAM2 Level Kit for 1999-2006 Chevrolet 1500 with 2" Lift Blocks for Rear Axle, Skyjacker #H7003 Front Shocks and Skyjacker #H7017 Rear Shocks.

Hobbs67

Sorry for the late reply... Front tires rub on sway bar on full lock. Clears the air dam fine. Trimmed the plastic on the wheel well lip on the inside behind each front tire. Plenty of room for sliding door. Using factory GMC alloy wheels with the 285/70R17 Coopers.

86cj

Explorer
AWD 1500 Van Wheel & Tire Info:

Time for Wheel & Tire fitment info?

Wheels and tires have come up in other post's and I asked a couple members what Size, Backspacing, and Offset fit their van and did not rub, so I decided to post up!

Stock alloy wheels and tires:.......o/d = 30.6".. 245-70-17's on 17x7.5 with 5.5" B/S and +31mm O/S.....16" wheel was stock in early years w/235-75-16

My GMC 1500 AWD is running:....o/d = 31.7".. 265-70-17's on 17x7.5 with 5.5" B/S and +31 mm O/S ..(stock wheels)........... 265-70-17 tire did not rub with no lift

Accrete is running:.....................o/d = 31.7"...265-70-17's on 17x9's with 4.5" B/S and -12mm O/S.....Slider door clears fine with wheel face moved out 2.5" vs stock

Overland_Drifter is running:.........o/d = 32.2"..275-70-17's on 17x 9's with 5" B/S and +0mm O/S

Hobbs67 is running:.....................o/d = 32.8"..285-70-17's on 17x7.5" with 5.5" B/S (stock wheels).. getting minor rubbing on sway bar and did some trimming behind front tire

Note: A little less backspace or B/S is usually needed to keep from rubbing the sway bar or suspension when lifted or with bigger tires. Less B/S makes the offset or O/S further from stock and wider wheels make it even worse, the closer to stock +31 you keep the offset or O/S the happier the wheel bearings will be, like most things a little is better and alot can be bad later............

Note: 265-70-17 has been the GM 1/2 ton 17" OEM tire size and 265-65-18 has been a factory 18" upgrade, for older 1/2 tons with 16" wheels 265-75-16, all three sizes are common have about same o/d around 31.5",..... making them easier to find and good choices for a van on the road...

Feel Free to post up!!!!

Thanks for starting this thread boardrider247!!!................

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles