GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Jmacn

Dream Machine

Hi all,

I just signed up here to go deep into the AWD GM van info. EX Portal was invaluable to me when I built a dual battery system for a fridge in my truck. I'm glad to see so much excellent info here about my new ride! I recently bought a 2008 AWD Chevy Express 1500 passenger van with only 18k miles on her!! I've been having van dreams for years and had gone back and forth forever about which platform to start from. I was hoping for a cargo van but wanted something with fairly low miles, and really didn't want a white van. I couldn't pass up the forest green passenger van I found that came off a military base somewhere. I know it will make the conversion to camper a little more complicated but I do like all the windows now that I've been using it as a shuttle for ski trips. I don't plan to really get down to business until this summer when the weather and daylight is more cooperative. My first mod next week is adding cruise control. Down the road I plan to start with a tall fiberglass topper. I have read most of the threads here and have gotten some excellent ideas from you all. Thank you for taking the time to share your process and adventures. My first question is regarding the pristine interior and HVAC system of my rig. Any suggestions on a venue to pass (ideally sell) that stuff to someone else? I intend to post a CL add but if there is a better idea I'd love to hear it. Anyone in the mood to discuss this via PM? I'd like to get rid off all of it to maximize space and insulation when the tall topper goes on next summer. Thanks again for all the inspiration!
IMG_1838.jpg

Len.Barron

Observer
My first question is regarding the pristine interior and HVAC system of my rig. Any suggestions on a venue to pass (ideally sell) that stuff to someone else? I intend to post a CL add but if there is a better idea I'd love to hear it. Anyone in the mood to discuss this via PM? I'd like to get rid off all of it to maximize space and insulation when the tall topper goes on next summer. Thanks again for all the inspiration!
View attachment 430553
I'd reconsider getting rid of your interior and certainly would not get rid of a rear HVAC system. I searched specifically for a hightop passenger van that had rear A/C and heat just so I wouldn't have to put it in myself. Keeping the upper half of the interior side panels(and just building out the bottom half) keeps you from having to finish out around the windows (which is a PITA) and having the windows is way more of an advantage (for sight lines when off road) then you could imagine..

vandecamp

My van is pretty much the same van van as above. Passenger AWD with low miles.

Made a lot of progress this weekend. The interior is gutted, put in the insulation, and got a floor mocked up. I ended up going with and installing the 7.9 gallon manchester propane tank.

For my build space is key, as I'm not quite ready for a hightop, so out went the rear HVAC system.

I'm at the point now were I need to start laying out my electrical. I'm trying to be minimalistic on this.

- 200 watts Renology Solar
- 1 deep cycle battery (maybe lithium)
- Whynter FM-45G 45-Quart fridge
- Fantasic Fan
- 4 LED puck lights
- Typical USB / 12v plug in.

I've been skimming thru the threads on here, and other sites too trying to get a better grasp on laying out the elctrical in a clean and organized manner. Did in any of you guys have a wiring digram or build thread that's close to what I've spec'd above?

Thanks Guys!

dleeallen

Adventurer
Jmacn have you looked into feasibility of a high top on a passenger van? I think 2008 was the first year of the side airbags in the roof for passenger vans and I've seen reference to that being a problem for a high top. I've been day dreaming a bit about a high top for mine (2014) but haven't looked into it enough to have a solid answer.

Hi all,

I just signed up here to go deep into the AWD GM van info. EX Portal was invaluable to me when I built a dual battery system for a fridge in my truck. I'm glad to see so much excellent info here about my new ride! I recently bought a 2008 AWD Chevy Express 1500 passenger van with only 18k miles on her!! I've been having van dreams for years and had gone back and forth forever about which platform to start from. I was hoping for a cargo van but wanted something with fairly low miles, and really didn't want a white van. I couldn't pass up the forest green passenger van I found that came off a military base somewhere. I know it will make the conversion to camper a little more complicated but I do like all the windows now that I've been using it as a shuttle for ski trips. I don't plan to really get down to business until this summer when the weather and daylight is more cooperative. My first mod next week is adding cruise control. Down the road I plan to start with a tall fiberglass topper. I have read most of the threads here and have gotten some excellent ideas from you all. Thank you for taking the time to share your process and adventures. My first question is regarding the pristine interior and HVAC system of my rig. Any suggestions on a venue to pass (ideally sell) that stuff to someone else? I intend to post a CL add but if there is a better idea I'd love to hear it. Anyone in the mood to discuss this via PM? I'd like to get rid off all of it to maximize space and insulation when the tall topper goes on next summer. Thanks again for all the inspiration!

Jmacn

Thanks for the replies! I'm suggesting we take this conversation here: (I tried to post a link but get a notice that I'm not allowed. Why is this?)

Forum-Expedition Campers-4wd (and 2WD) Camper Vans:

GM Passenger Van Conversion Q&A

Vandecamp I'd like to know more about anything you came across when you gutted your van.

Yes mine does have side airbags, If that prevents a tall topper I'd be bummed for sure but it would make things quite a but easier once I finished mopping up my tears. I can't imagine it would completely prevent a tall topper, Right!!??!!

Looking forward to keeping the dialog going. Thanks!!

vandecamp

Thanks for the replies! I'm suggesting we take this conversation here: (I tried to post a link but get a notice that I'm not allowed. Why is this?)

Forum-Expedition Campers-4wd (and 2WD) Camper Vans:

GM Passenger Van Conversion Q&A

Vandecamp I'd like to know more about anything you came across when you gutted your van.

Yes mine does have side airbags, If that prevents a tall topper I'd be bummed for sure but it would make things quite a but easier once I finished mopping up my tears. I can't imagine it would completely prevent a tall topper, Right!!??!!

Looking forward to keeping the dialog going. Thanks!!

Regarding the side airbags - these were removed. They run an approximate 36" behind the front driver / passenger seat. I haven't checked to see if a smaller passenger airbag option is available. I would assume the single cab pickups of this era might have something that would work. My last van wasn't of this century so removing a few airbags isn't something I'm loosing any sleep over. haha

The only part that I found to be serious PIA when it came to deconstruction was the removal of the passenger seat rails.. 48 bolts that will test your sanity. The rails themselves are all nutted from the undercarage, which must have been done prior to adding any undercarage componets such as exhaust, gas tanks, heat sheilds ect.. If this build would a have been a hightop I would have left the rails in palce, but since space is a tight comodity I opted to rip them out.

yochris

Re: the seat rails - do you know of third party fold down seats that fold down into a bed that use the existing seat rails/hardware thatw ould allow me to build a Westy style interior but still maintain a legal back seat with seat belts etc? There's a bunch on discountvantruck but not sure if they work with existing holes/hardware in the van.

I am dreaming/scheming a family weekender built into an AWD express with a pop top but trying to figure out the rear seat bed/seat belt combo for the kids.

(totally newbie at all this stuff!)

blazen71

I figured this is the best thread for this info. Not sure if it was mentioned in the last 31 pages. I have an 03 Express AWD 2500. The only thing I can find that makes it a 2500 is the rear axle. It's a semi-floating 6-lug Dana 60.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I figured this is the best thread for this info. Not sure if it was mentioned in the last 31 pages. I have an 03 Express AWD 2500. The only thing I can find that makes it a 2500 is the rear axle. It's a semi-floating 6-lug Dana 60.

Good to know
Thanks I will add this info to the first page

86cj

Explorer
AWD Dana 60

BLAZEN71

Good to know
Thanks I will add this info to the first page

Can you show us a picture of the Dana 60 axle under the van? This thread is the only good info you can find on these AWD Vans so we have to sweat the details, I wish I had it when I got the Van bug........

The 2500 AWD GVW rating is the same as the newer 1500's that use the 8.6" 10 bolt, no need for a special axle. The GM 2WD 8 lug 3/4 or 1 ton van did use a Dana 60 but mostly a GM corporate 9.5 or 10.5 and rarely a full float after 2003 unless it was a diesel. Dana has made a 60 series semi-float "non 8 lug" before, I think it was an old F-150 and an old Jeep J-20 not sure...................

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles