GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
My 2WD '98 3500 cut-away van came with a 14-bolt.

uc

Maybe it's a clue to help you track down what you're looking for.

Scotty D

According to the parts catalog it may or may not have a transponder in that year. If you look at the base of your key where the metal goes into a the plastic, look for a small circle with a plus in it. If it does have it, that means its a transponder key.

Rats, its got it.
Thanks for the info Temp

DRLexpress

Observer
Try www.car-part.com. There's tons of vans within 150mi of you that may have the axle you want

Thanks. I had looked at it a little but haven't spend enough time with it yet. I need to find the RPO codes for the different axles. All I have found so far is the codes for the GVW but not what axle they used with each. Lots more research.

Mat, thanks, I have found several from '96-'02. I am trying to figure out if they will fit a 2004 without a lot of modification. I have measured overall width and spring spacing and they look right. Looking a your picture I realized I had forgot to checked shock mounts. Oh well, back to the junkyard.

Doug

matzner

Wiring fog lights - 2006 Express AWD

Hi:

Can anyone provide guidance on the easiest way to wire fog lights for an Express 2006 AWD? Mostly I need to know where to tap into power. Is the a DIY guide somewhere?

Thanks
DM

matzner

Yeah, got that part. Is one of those generally easier to work with? Is there a connection point to make the fogs switch on/off with the headlights in series with their own switch? If not, what is best/easiest terminal for power - is there a spare fused circuit available?

Thanks again
DM

blazen71

I ran power from the main power line to fuse box under seat, so it's always powered. This is for a led light bar so that was ok for my purpose. There is a larger dia white wire in the wiring on steering column that is keyed ignition. I used that for my aftermarket stero. Not sure if there is another keyed ingnition source.

matzner

I ran power from the main power line to fuse box under seat, so it's always powered. This is for a led light bar so that was ok for my purpose. There is a larger dia white wire in the wiring on steering column that is keyed ignition. I used that for my aftermarket stero. Not sure if there is another keyed ingnition source.

More detail please: How do I find an appropriate terminal in the fusebox? Is the under seat fuse box preferable to the under hood?

Thanks again for helping a newbie

blazen71

I took the power wire from light bar harness that had a ring terminal on the end and mounted it to the stud that the van's power wire is mounted to (fuse box under seat). The light bar harness has an in line fuse. Again, this is a little different that what you're looking to do. As far as the white keyed ignition wire on the column, you're going to have to stick your head under there an test the white wire to verify its keyed.

Chops-bike

Key Fob

Hey guys I just purchased an 09 express, trying to program a chev key fob. I cannot get to the enable function on the control system. Can anyone confirm if this is a possibility? Passenger model power locks are working 100%

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
Stupid question but when I look for information on my TRANSMISSION, the 2004 1500 Express, AWD says I have a 4L60E transmission.
I looked up info on both the 4L60E and 4L65E transmission on the web and youtube and it sure seems like my van has a 4L65E.
Was the 4L65 E just a variation of the 4L60E???
This youtube video sure makes it seem that way. My tranny has the removable bell-housing, has a top bolt hole at the top of the bell-housing and has a splined input shaft that comes all the way to the front.
My real question is: I'm replacing my transmission and torque converter. Do I need to buy a torque converter for a 4l60e or 4l65e?

jeffyoung13

Hi all. I have a 2003 GMC Savana 1500 AWD. I am wanting to install a lift/leveling kit and way back on page 1 of this forum it talks about using a Rough Country kit.

"Rough country leveling kit's for the 1999-2006 GM pickups fit these vans. EXCEPT the rear shocks. Adapters or other provisions need to be make to make the shocks included in this kit work."
http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-283n2.html

Of course when I talk to Rough Country I am being told they cannot help me as they have no kits for AWD Savana Vans. I get the sense they have to say this for liability reasons. Can anyone confirm that? Has anyone successfully used this particular kit on an AWD Savana? Thanks for the help.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Hi all. I have a 2003 GMC Savana 1500 AWD. I am wanting to install a lift/leveling kit and way back on page 1 of this forum it talks about using a Rough Country kit.

"Rough country leveling kit's for the 1999-2006 GM pickups fit these vans. EXCEPT the rear shocks. Adapters or other provisions need to be make to make the shocks included in this kit work."
http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-283n2.html

Of course when I talk to Rough Country I am being told they cannot help me as they have no kits for AWD Savana Vans. I get the sense they have to say this for liability reasons. Can anyone confirm that? Has anyone successfully used this particular kit on an AWD Savana? Thanks for the help.

Yes, that is the kit I used to lift my 2010.
Just throw away the rear shocks and buy some Bilstein's, everything else fits.

At this point the only thing left of that original kit on my van is the torsion bar key's. But it is a economical way to get your van lifted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles