Red Wing Heritage Boots

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I did try Thorogood and they're nice boots. The boots were plenty wide but the volume was incredible; to get the width I needed they were just too dang big around everywhere.
I'm very lean...

I've looked at the 877s but never tried them on. The sole isn't necessarily a deal-breaker but I wish they had something more like the Newporter. Something with lugs and more flexible.
How are the shafts on them? I have almost no meat around the ankle...

The Irish Setter Vaprtreks I have now fit well enough but they don't flex worth a dang and it's hard to modulate the clutch.
http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/ir...2863-irish-setter-hunt-mens-8-inch-boot-stone
The left one is too large (right foot is bigger) and that has led to the dreaded black toenail syndrome.
They're really the only thing I've found that wasn't huge around my lower leg though. And they're honestly wide and not just fat.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I've looked at the 877s but never tried them on. The sole isn't necessarily a deal-breaker but I wish they had something more like the Newporter. Something with lugs and more flexible.
How are the shafts on them? I have almost no meat around the ankle...

I too didn't really love the crepe style sole, had mine almost a year and they are getting close to being worn out, I will be opting for something with some tread on it moving forward.

Mine are the 6" 875s vs the 8" 877s but the top of the boot has molded to my ankle like a glove. Plenty of room to snug them up, and the leather gets soft enough to allow good movement of the ankle

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Which sole are you thinking about when you re-sole?

Ive been looking around a bit, the red wing stock lug tread is really heavily lugged, too much for me I think.

They have a roccia sole as well, but it has a raised heel which I want to avoid.

For me, I think the perfect might be the Vibram Kletterlift sole I have on my Danners, it has some solid lugs but not too massive, and is flat but I am not sure its even possible, dont see why not though.

I will have to go into a dealer and see what they have to offer

Shoeman

Observer
That type of construction (877 etc with an old fashioned welt) is an easy resole for any cobbler that is worth a hoot. Many sole options exist that you could upgrade too. I did a quick search and came up with this: http://www.vipshoerestorers.com/pdf/Vibram-catalog.pdf
Use that chart to select the sole you want, find a cobbler that has or can get that sole and stick it on your boot. If you really feel flush have that sole put on a brand new unworn boot.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That type of construction (877 etc with an old fashioned welt) is an easy resole for any cobbler that is worth a hoot. Many sole options exist that you could upgrade too. I did a quick search and came up with this: http://www.vipshoerestorers.com/pdf/Vibram-catalog.pdf
Use that chart to select the sole you want, find a cobbler that has or can get that sole and stick it on your boot. If you really feel flush have that sole put on a brand new unworn boot.
I smell what you're cooking ---- and have thought about it (often).
Guess I gotta get to a Red Wing shop and try on the 877s as a first step.

Those wavy soles aren't bad for walking. My UGGs have them. They're just not that good in GA mud and that's the reality of overlanding around here. Mud, mud, and some occasional mud.

Thanks, btw. As an industry insider your input is highly appreciated.

Shoeman

Observer
Mud shedding is always a problem. Deep lugs are no good if they fill up and don't shed, just like tires. The mud eventually falls off...in your truck or kitchen floor! That link I posted shows some interesting soles that I have never seen in person. The #1030 Izalco looks interesting. Keep in mind the dimensions you see listed. They're done in Irons, very old school, and they indicate heel height and forefoot thickness. Now you have me scheming a build.
And as far as the 877 fit goes, they have always been considered to be about a half size big in sizing, but as always, you should get measured and fitted if possible. And here's another tip: The 877 is now the model number for the Heritage version of that old boot after 40+ years. Look for the 10877 instead, which is the same as the old 877 but made AA to H (4E) widths and can be had for less money. The 877 is now a $290 D width only shoe. The 10877 in a non-factory RW store can often be found for around $250.
I'm a 14AA. I know your pain.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Shoeman, Thanks for all the great info. I wore the moc toe in B width for years when I was wrenching on cars. I love the look of the Beckman and they would be worn mostly at work or out on the weekends. Would also like the Heritage Moc Toe for a knock around boot. I wear trail runners most of the time now form my days as a Scout leader and backpacker. I wear the Asolo leather Gore Tex boot around some as well. But after wearing them to work a cpl days my legs are worn out. I love them,but crap they are heavy. Baically I love the look of the Beckman, Iron Ranger, and Moc toe, and Id rather wear boots again than shoes. Id pay huge if I could find a pair of Italian Vasque Sundowners in Nubuck, most comfortable boot Ive EVER worn. Have a Chinese pair in the burgundy leather that are not anywhere near my old Nubucks. So, saving up my coins for the Beckmans, constantly on the Redwing London and Redwing Amserdam Instagram. You should check those out. My next boot for sure.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
14AA?
Ouch; hard to find...

My right foot is a 14E and my left is a 13.5EE (depending on brand). I wish the sizing was consistent...
There are so many good boots that almost fit. Like they fit my foot but I need 3 pairs of socks to fit around my lower leg. Or the right/left fits but not the other one.

Shoeman

Observer
I still have a pair of the Italian sundowners. Good stuff. You're going to have trouble with the Heritage shoes if you wear a B. D and EE only in production right now. Rules me out too. Asolo's are great, we started carrying them a couple of years ago. They make some lighter styles. I've been wearing Piuma's for about 8 months now as my daily shoe at work along with some Powerstep insoles and my feet and legs thank me. Some of the other guys wear Fugitives but they pay the price by the end of the week. Too hard and heavy for daily wear but great in the woods. I'm also a big fan of the Vasque Breeze series. Used a pair of the GTX version last summer on a two week camp/hike trip here in Maine. Easy break in and great trail performance with a heavyish day pack. They are also very reliable. We rarely see a defect or failure with them. Same goes for the Asolo's. Keen and Merrell not so much.

Shoeman

Observer
Bill,
Having a half size and a width difference is true of 90% of the population, at least in this country. It's when you get about a size and a half difference that you (or me sitting on the fitting bench) have to really start paying attention. I don't say that to dismiss the difficulties you have in any way. It is tougher when you hit or pass the size 12 mark, as half sizes cease to exist. The average sized guys get to try a 10D, 10.5D or C, maybe an 11B and really get particular about the fit, for example. We get to try a 14. Maybe a D and EE or M and W and rarely a B or EEE. 13's are too short for you and me period. Forget about them. You might find one that feels OK in the store but 3 miles down a trail you start to feel a hotspot. My steadfast rule is "a little too big you can live with, too small never gets better"
The ankle/calf part of the upper is not really scaled up or down as much as the foot portion of a shoe is between the various sizes. The uppers are made with the fit leaning more towards working for the average to bigger legged guy. Us chicken leg folks get to have the eyelet rows pull right together after break in. But IMHO that's almost more an appearance issue than a support issue. The fact is that almost all of what people call ankle support actually comes from the heel fit of any boot. If the counter pocket holds the foot firmly in place side to side as it should and is strong, you can make the ankle part of the boot out of anything and you will not have rolling issues. Put on an 8" boot thats clearly too wide sometime and see if you can roll off the side of the boot just by rolling your foot outwards like you are turning on a pair of skis. Yes, an ankle/upper that has 3/8" of serious stiffening foam in it can help negate that rolling, but it's just a band aid to the fact that the boot does not fit well and you still get movement in the shoe.
I know I have appeared to contradict myself with that last bit, since I earlier said a little too big is better, but there is a line between a little too big and just plain old too damn big. The rolling test is an example of too damn big. The "a little too big" more typically means you have some extra toe room up front or you can shim the boot with an insole to snug the instep fit. People get all wound up about having a bit more toe room than they are used too, the jump from the 13 to 14 for example. Well, if the rest of the foot fits better in the 14 you should go for that size. A half size is approx. 1/6 of an inch, and a whole size is 1/3". If that tiny bit of extra shoe out front makes a person a klutz then I suggest that person best not leave the safety of the house and avoid stairs at all costs. Again, I am not speaking to Bill here, rather just rambling at this point about fitting in general. I have to get ready for work now, go figure.
But Bill, in regards to your wish that sizing was more consistent, I am glad it is not. That's what has kept my employed in the biz for so long! If sizing was as consistent as say nuts and bolts, you could sell shows from a vending machine and thousands of professional shoe fitters like me would be out of work. Yeah, that's we call ourselves in the trade. The part time kid at Super Shoes does not get that title. You have to earn it and know it. :victory::victory:

4runnerteq

Explorer
Wore vasque veloctys forever. And loved them. Velocity 2s were JUNK. Now no more vvelocity at all. Wearing Salomon ultras now. They are ok, but not as good for me as the velocity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles