Red Wing Heritage Boots

4runnerteq

Explorer
I'm really hard on footwear. I'm lucky to get 6-8 months out of most stuff. So today I went looking at the local Red Wing Store at got a pair of Roughneck 8146.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/product/footwear/6-inch-boots/6-brown-8146-08146

These will be my next ones. Still love my Beckmans, but I messed up and went a 1/2 isze down on my Moc Toes and one is just enough too tight that it is pretty uncomfortable by days end. But, they were to expensive not to wear. I keep watching sierra trading post for the Roughneck Moc in my size. They sell Red Wing Heritage factory seconds at 30% off. I oil my Mocs almost every time I wear them hoping they might stretch a bit. No luck so far. Also plan to get a pair of Beckmans in black from Sierra Trading.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Picked up some Red Wing 2947 Roughneck boots. Still breaking them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
16abfc9ea9fe390aba4c55bca20685c1.jpg

921445bcf64d235244f6f5e3f357d1f3.jpg

a745f01d1918d933a5a747d4a48b0d87.jpg

Heck yeah man. Id have a closet full of Redwings if I could afford them. I love wearing mine

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Ordered a pair of 8138s over Christmas break and got them in yesterday. Currently enduring the pain of breaking in new boots:D. Probably should have used some mink oil first to soften them up. Love the way they look though
1484260385974-112636786.jpg

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Ordered a pair of 8138s over Christmas break and got them in yesterday. Currently enduring the pain of breaking in new boots:D. Probably should have used some mink oil first to soften them up. Love the way they look though
View attachment 382244

In my opinion these botos look the worst when new (I have a pair of 875s) and they just look better and better with age

4runnerteq

Explorer
View attachment 382244

Heck yeah, I recently have been wearing mine every day. I keep a bottle of Redwing oil at work. About once a week I oil them and one day they just changed to being almost like a sock with a sole. Super. I don't use any oil on the Beckmans and kind of the same thing. Like one day the leather just said, "you know what? screw it. Hes gonna keep on wearin me so I may as well give in"

poriggity

Explorer
I've got a pair of red wing steel toes for work. Been wearing them for work for almost 3 years. Abused the Heck out of them in a diesel maintenance shop, walked countless miles in them.. Around 12000 steps a day or more and have never oiled them. They are still kicking, although the sole is getting a little bare. Do I hear right that redwing will resole your boots for you?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I still have a love/hate relationship with my beckmans. I had them re-soled with the roughneck sole so now they are kind of a beckman/roughneck hybrid. They are durable as hell but minimal support/structure. Kind of feels like I am just walking on vibram soles loosely strapped to the bottom of my feet. Some adjustments may be necessary.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I've got a pair of red wing steel toes for work. Been wearing them for work for almost 3 years. Abused the Heck out of them in a diesel maintenance shop, walked countless miles in them.. Around 12000 steps a day or more and have never oiled them. They are still kicking, although the sole is getting a little bare. Do I hear right that redwing will resole your boots for you?

\

Depends on whether its a bonded or sewn sole. I don't think they do at no charge.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

I used to work in a Sears warehouse decades ago and nearly all my coworkers and myself wore Redwing steel toes. It would take about 4-5 days of wear and after that AHH. I used to forget to remove them after work many times. Redwing did a resole for me free once when I managed to wear out a sole before the boot itself.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Redwing will do a complete "rebuild" of the boot with new sole and refinished upper, new laces, etc. It's expensive though - I think to have my Beckmans done was around $200.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Heck yeah, I recently have been wearing mine every day. I keep a bottle of Redwing oil at work. About once a week I oil them and one day they just changed to being almost like a sock with a sole. Super. I don't use any oil on the Beckmans and kind of the same thing. Like one day the leather just said, "you know what? screw it. Hes gonna keep on wearin me so I may as well give in"

Managed to get them broken enough to wear they don't leave my feet aching anymore. A mink oil treatment really did the trick, although I read that I should be careful with mink oil. Apparently if you aren't careful you can over soften the leather and actually make it more prone to being damaged. I oiled them again a few days ago but used the provided Red Wing Conditioner instead. Really shined them up again and buffed out a few scuffs. Very comfortable shoe to wear around campus and seem to get a lot of looks.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Redwing will do a complete "rebuild" of the boot with new sole and refinished upper, new laces, etc. It's expensive though - I think to have my Beckmans done was around $200.

My local Red Wing (factory store) is $100 in advance for a resole. Was $75 until this last set I took in. The 8146 is my favorite boot, though I may have oiled them a bit much. Couple of pair of Beckmans are my office wear. Of course, it is nice to wear something made in your home state.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I bought Red Wing Iron Ranger 8111 in Amber about 3-4 years ago. My apologies to the Red Wing fan club but I'm honestly disappointed. Normally I like well crafted objects with noble materials. Which is absolutely true in this case. But so many issues with them:

- I still feel like I'm breaking them in.
- They take forever to lace up.
- They take lots of maintenance (they get damaged by salt laid on the sidewalk)
- Slippery on wet wood, ice or whatever... (so not a good choice for hikes at all!)
- Not warm in winter (ok, so warm socks do help but they're again a bad choice for winter).
- I never wear them in summer!
- Too expensive...

I ended up leaving them in the roof cargo box for most of our 2 year trip. Did I pick the wrong model?

If I ever wear them out I might try Blundstones, if not I'll just stick to full leather hiking boots instead. If you're on the fence, save your money and buy two pairs of hiking boots instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles