Red Wing Heritage Boots

4runnerteq

Explorer
Whose wearing and how do you like. I wore Red Wings for years way back. Find myself now wanting another pair in the Heritage line. The Beckman Round toe in Black Cherry

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I have a pair of the 875 and will be looking to get some 9016 beckmans or maybe 8115 iron rangers this spring.

Mine are supremely comfortable. They do take awhile to break in because of the leather construction, once they do they form to your feet!

drm

I love mine but they eat the waxed strings like crazy. Redwing will send you free strings though so I keep spares on hand.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
We had a pair that circulated the OI office looking for a home. No one loved them. Everyone wanted to. They went from feet to feet until...I think Matt ended up with one pair, which, he clearly did not love.

On the flip side, I got a pair of these:

http://expeditionportal.com/american-overlander-wolverine-whitepine-1000-mile/

I loved them. Everyone who read my review loved to hate me for it, most siting the lack of a lugged sole as the deal breaker. I've wore them for DAYS of walking SEMA, right out of the box. They are my preferred travel shoe. I'll wear them tomorrow on a business trip to the launch of a new Jeep. I'll wear them to fancy restaurants in San Fran, on the driving course at Hollister, then back on the plane. Love them. They look fantastic. Made beautifully.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
We had a pair that circulated the OI office looking for a home. No one loved them. Everyone wanted to. They went from feet to feet until...I think Matt ended up with one pair, which, he clearly did not love.

I loved them. Everyone who read my review loved to hate me for it, most siting the lack of a lugged sole as the deal breaker. I've wore them for DAYS of walking SEMA, right out of the box. They are my preferred travel shoe. I'll wear them tomorrow on a business trip to the launch of a new Jeep. I'll wear them to fancy restaurants in San Fran, on the driving course at Hollister, then back on the plane. Love them. They look fantastic. Made beautifully.

Any updated pictures of them? Love the way boots look after they have some wear on them

Scott Brady

Founder
I was the guy that ended up with the rejected Red Wing pair. I stuck with them for a few months, and now they are like slippers, and I wear them almost daily. Nice to wear a pair of boots that feel they will last a decade.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I was the guy that ended up with the rejected Red Wing pair. I stuck with them for a few months, and now they are like slippers, and I wear them almost daily. Nice to wear a pair of boots that feel they will last a decade.

Couldn't agree more, other than being heavier they are just as comfortable as running shoes. I also love how the leather changes colour/texture as they age

AZJim

Observer

Looking forward to a review of the new Renegade!

Jim

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have worn 875's for over 40 years and absolutely love them!

Yes, they take some time to break in, but they fit like a glove when they do. I always have 2 pair around, a nice pair and rough pair. Oil them occasionally and let them air dry if they get wet, why I have 2 pairs. These are the only shoes/boots that I ever wear the sole out before the body. I used to have them resoled, but it become too expensive and a new pair is always a nice treat.

There is also another way to lace them that saves the aces and works well for me. My old Red Wind dealer showed me "Ladder Lacing". http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/ladderlacing.htm

4runnerteq

Explorer
Saving up some coin for Beckman round toe in black cherry. Got out of boot wearing for a while and miss them. Anxious for new.

MattScott

Approved Vendor

You got the comfy ones that Brian initially had, I gave mine to Chuck. He stuck with them and apparently likes them.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

They don't come in grown-up sizes... ...and look a little girly for me...

So you guys all swap shoes at the office?
ummmkay.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I wear a pair of Beckmans just about every day - have had them for about 2 years. The sole that comes on them is junk. It looks luggy, but the rubber is ridiculously hard and the "tread depth" is minimal.

They do not have much support or cushioning, to be sure. And zero insulation (which is one of my favorite things about them).

With a good heavy pair of socks, they are comfortable all day in an office environment or casually running around on the weekends.

I would NOT wear them if I was on my feet all day, though.

I had mine re-soled about 3 months ago direct from Red Wing (cost about $100), and had them put on the proper luggy Vibram sole. This has made a tremendous difference in comfort and usability - and looks in my opinion.

So I now have a kind of Beckman - Roughneck hybrid.

The simple classiness of the Beckman upper combined with the vibram lug sole is a nice blend of vintage style and capability :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles