ARB 50 QT -- Buyer's Remorse?

kenaero

Observer
here's mine

My 50qt ARB in the back, with a few other things!
23829971604_022085166e_c.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Ken Scoates, on Flickr[/IMG]
You know needed a quick snack on the trail.:chef:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
My criteria is that if you cant fit a bottle of wine upright in your fridge it's too small.

That means the Engel 45, The N.L.Weekender, or the ARB 50qt is the only way to go.

Personally I like the Engel, it's a no frills fridge that keeps working and keeps things cold. That's what I want from my fridge.

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
My criteria is that if you cant fit a bottle of wine upright in your fridge it's too small.

That means the Engel 45, The N.L.Weekender, or the ARB 50qt is the only way to go.

Personally I like the Engel, it's a no frills fridge that keeps working and keeps things cold. That's what I want from my fridge.
Hmm. The 37 qt interior height is slightly greater than 12.5 inches... definitely less than the 50 qt model but I've always been able to fit 2 litre plastic pop bottles and typical 750 ml wine bottles in my ARB 37 qt model without issue. Save for an extra tall bottle of Riesling most wine bottles fit just fine.

Your practical criteria was one of the things I had to check when I realized that the 50 qt model wouldn't fit in the space I had left after installing my slide and interior cargo barrier.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

gfiero

Adventurer
I don't own a jeep I have a Tacoma with a FlipPac but let me offer a thought for you a 19" computer rack shelf (On line) and a couple of drawer slides (home depot) make a great rack and if you do two staked with the right stand-offs you can put a Coleman stove under it for less than a $100.00. That saves you a few pennies. I would not travel with out a fridge, the taste of fresh fruit on the 7th day in death valley or a cold beverage after a day on the north rim, makes it worth it. Even on trips to visit my kids in other states, having what you want when want it without going to a store is worth it. Just some random thoughts...(That is how my brain works)

zimm17

Observer
I'm tempted to get a 50qt myself. I don't think I'll need to leave it my jeep 24/7, but since I have a shed/workshop that I frequent, maybe I could use the ARB as an expensive beer fridge when I'm not camping or going on a road trip. How many days can it run in a JKU before it shuts off?

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
I'm tempted to get a 50qt myself. I don't think I'll need to leave it my jeep 24/7, but since I have a shed/workshop that I frequent, maybe I could use the ARB as an expensive beer fridge when I'm not camping or going on a road trip. How many days can it run in a JKU before it shuts off?
I run an auxiliary 75 Ah deep cycle marine AGM battery and let it discharge to about 75% (~56 Ah usable). A 100Ah group 31 marine deep cycle AGM would be better but 75 Ah suits my needs for now. Base on a couple of trips I get about 2 full days before my 37 qt ARB shuts down on the moderate battery shut off setting. 48 hrs of operation assumes a few things:

1) the fridge is pre-cooled before putting stuff in.

2) all items placed in the fridge are either pre-cooled or frozen.

3) ambient daytime temps don't rise much above 90°F (32°C).

4) the Jeep is kept out of direct sunlight (usually partially achieved when in forested camp sites).

5) opening and closing of the fridge is kept to a minimum.

During this summer's camping season I will monitor the fridge's power consumption more carefully using an in line power monitor/meter I installed last August.

The battery is charged using a CTEK D250s Dual DC to DC 20 amp charger.

f3775c061cf2ba9d9e0abb2be8433512.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gar.

Not knowing the size of your ice chest, have you tried putting your ice into a bucket or other container that's sized to fit within the ice chest?

In the photo, two bags of ice will fill the plastic bucket. I drain the water off prior to topping off with a fresh bag. I might drop in a couple of drinks into the bucket as well.

View attachment 267002

Thats not a bad idea when ice is all ya got, but for shorter trips, I freeze milk jugs, or water bottles. No drainage, and plenty cold for several days in 75° F

Gar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne