Parking Brake Cable on Dexter Backplate

silvrzuki77

explorer
I have been having the same issues. I want to have the each brake independent from each other, so if I had to spin the trailer around on the trail. I found brand new military hand brakes from colemans surplus store for like $10 a piece. Find cables is my problem.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Is that a snap ring groove on the end of the fitting going into the backing plate?

The clevises are available from McMaster Carr

The handles are a commercially available unit and are common on military trailers and older medium duty trucks.

cs0430

Where are you guys ordering dexter axles with the parking brake option? I want to keep the two independent parking brake handles on my M101A2 but can't seem to find an online retailer that has the parking brake backing plates as an option for a 3500lb axle.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Where are you guys ordering dexter axles with the parking brake option? I want to keep the two independent parking brake handles on my M101A2 but can't seem to find an online retailer that has the parking brake backing plates as an option for a 3500lb axle.

At my request, Little Guy ordered it straight from Dexter when they built my trailer.

Look at this catalog page. Find the axle you want, and order the part number from your retailer.

EDIT: Now that I read the page closely, I don't see any part numbers. You could try calling Dexter to get a part number.

fj_wheeler

I ordered mine from Redneck Trailer Supply. I believe you have to order with electric brake option and specify that you want the parking brake feature.

cs0430

At my request, Little Guy ordered it straight from Dexter when they built my trailer.

Look at this catalog page. Find the axle you want, and order the part number from your retailer.

EDIT: Now that I read the page closely, I don't see any part numbers. You could try calling Dexter to get a part number.

The part number is on there - just hard to find. Page 25. K23-086-00/K23-087-00. I called Dexter this morning and that is indeed the assembly with a cable-activated parking brake.

dstock

Explorer
Is that a snap ring groove on the end of the fitting going into the backing plate?

The clevises are available from McMaster Carr

The handles are a commercially available unit and are common on military trailers and older medium duty trucks.

The clevises are available lots of places, but one would have to find a way to attach them to these various cables that don't have them.

alia176

Explorer
I have the same Dexter axles with parking brake and very interested in some of the solutions posed in this thread. I like Lokar products but not sure if any of their cable length will be sufficient. I'll keep looking and see what I can find at the junk yard. Loka brake handles are simple but much $$$!!

njbeachrat

Any update on this?

Just ordered a 3500 dexter axle and ordered the parking brake option ...knowing that dexter does not make a specific cable due to the fact that each application is a custom length as per the dexter rep I spoke with.

alia176

Explorer
I've been a slacker so no progress at my end. I'm torn between saving money and scouring the UPull it yard for parking brake handle and cables or simply order something online that's an universal cable length and trim to fit....

njbeachrat

Would different cable ends such as the Lokar Wilwood cable ends ( http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/ebrake-cables-conn-cables/ebrake-cable-pgs/rearbrake-clevis-kits.html ) work with the Titan universal kit that dstock posted on the first page?

cberner

Electric brake kit with parking brake (#K23-112-00)
Electric brake kit with parking brake (#K23-113-00)

One is the left, one is the right, but not sure which is which.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
So, I know this is an older thread but was wondering if anyone succeeded in this parking brake project. I am getting a teardrop with the Dexter parking brake backing plates and am going to have a left and right brake lever so I can quickly and easily spin my trailer around if needed.
I found this outfit which looks like they make all of the custom cables you would need and they carry relatively inexpensive levers and other small parts. I'm not sure yet if they work with Dexter but will find out on Monday.
http://www.controlcables.com/parking-brake-cables-2/

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I haven't worked on mine yet - it is one of those projects on the list.

I really hope to get to it by summer.

Post up what you find out on Monday.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I haven't worked on mine yet - it is one of those projects on the list.

I really hope to get to it by summer.

Post up what you find out on Monday.

You have a Little Guy or something else? Single lever looks to be a snap on their site but I do want the independent brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles