Parking Brake Cable on Dexter Backplate

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
You have a Little Guy or something else? Single lever looks to be a snap on their site but I do want the independent brakes.

I have a Little Guy with an axle they normally do not use. It is a 3500 lb. axle with 10" brakes.

I plan on using dual locking levers, not a single. As you said, I want to be able to lock one wheel and spin the trailer while off-road.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
Ok, I have a call in with several pics and descriptions. Let's hope that they will have the solutions. I already like their levers and mounting hardware and if they can make the Dexter parts we'll be set. Their speciality is customs brake cables, so that should be easy.

dstock

Explorer
Ok, I have a call in with several pics and descriptions. Let's hope that they will have the solutions. I already like their levers and mounting hardware and if they can make the Dexter parts we'll be set. Their speciality is customs brake cables, so that should be easy.

Very interested in this as well, still haven't gotten around to doing mine. Hope they come up with an easy solution!

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
Ok, after talking to Dexter axle, then Orscheln (who makes the brake levers and hardware for Dexter), I found the company who actually makes the cables. I emailed them my specs (as far as I know them, I won't be getting my trailer until the end of May) and asked for a rough estimate for two levers, cables and mounting hardware. You'll have to make your own lever mounting bracket, depending on how you are going to mount them on your trailer. The cost for my Teardrop will be around $225 for all the parts which I think is really fair for what I need. I will be using the Dexter K23-086/087-00 plates with the parking brake option.
Here is a link for a worksheet and detailed information for sizing your trailer: https://orschelnproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Park-Brake-Levers-Cables-Catalog.pdf
Here is the company that I would order them from: http://thepartshouseinc.com/The-Parts-House-Inc-Products.php Talk to Ben.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Ok, after talking to Dexter axle, then Orscheln (who makes the brake levers and hardware for Dexter), I found the company who actually makes the cables. I emailed them my specs (as far as I know them, I won't be getting my trailer until the end of May) and asked for a rough estimate for two levers, cables and mounting hardware. You'll have to make your own lever mounting bracket, depending on how you are going to mount them on your trailer. The cost for my Teardrop will be around $225 for all the parts which I think is really fair for what I need. I will be using the Dexter K23-086/087-00 plates with the parking brake option.
Here is a link for a worksheet and detailed information for sizing your trailer: https://orschelnproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Park-Brake-Levers-Cables-Catalog.pdf
Here is the company that I would order them from: http://thepartshouseinc.com/The-Parts-House-Inc-Products.php Talk to Ben.

Thank you for this.

I hope to start working on mine next week - for now, it's off to camping!

patl

Adventurer
I used the Parts House when setting up my brake system several years ago. Got the 3/16" cables, which are a little overkill as they are very stiff. 1/8" probably would be fine. Excellent quality with zero issues. Worked perfectly with Dexter setup. They have a form which shows how to make measurements and then e mail so they can build to suit.
007.jpg

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I received my brake levers today. I ordered two 02182700 levers that come with spacers and clips so I can make the angle iron bracket to fit the teardrop. This way, I can have them welded on when we see the builder in a week. Once I pick up the caravan, I'll order the cables.

alia176

Explorer
I received my brake levers today. I ordered two 02182700 levers that come with spacers and clips so I can make the angle iron bracket to fit the teardrop. This way, I can have them welded on when we see the builder in a week. Once I pick up the caravan, I'll order the cables.
Can't wait for the pics. Where did you get than from?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JKChad

Observer
Finally found this awesome thread. Planning to call the parts house to get my parking brake cable/handle ordered tomorrow. After using the trailer a few times now, I can definitely justify the cost for the functionality and safety. Many thank to all of you who have contributed your time and effort towards finding a solution for this.

JKChad

Observer
Placed my order today, tried yesterday but my email didn't go through. thankfully I did a follow up calll based on Tony @ the parts house recommendation. Super nice guys to deal with, Tony and Ben. Very informative, and easily answered all my questions. There turn around is super fast. He's expecting to have my system built and shipped out by Tuesday. I went with a single handle setup and plan to modify the handle with an eyelet to attach a break away cable. I'll update this post with pics of the install, hopefully, by next weekend.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
Placed my order today, tried yesterday but my email didn't go through. thankfully I did a follow up calll based on Tony @ the parts house recommendation. Super nice guys to deal with, Tony and Ben. Very informative, and easily answered all my questions. There turn around is super fast. He's expecting to have my system built and shipped out by Tuesday. I went with a single handle setup and plan to modify the handle with an eyelet to attach a break away cable. I'll update this post with pics of the install, hopefully, by next weekend.

What is the weight of your trailer? Mine will be close to 1500 pounds, so I will be ordering the heavier cables. I had wanted locking brake levers but the wait time was pretty long. Now that my trailer has been pushed back, I could have ordered them. I can't order the cables until I have the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz