Picking a new dual band

Jerry

Adventurer
Good choice. It will do the job quite well and I am sure you will be happy with it. And way to go on studying for the General :coffee:

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Good deal....nice to see so many people getting setup w/ mobile radios.

I predict you'll do fine w/ the general test.

Charlie56

Adventurer
I really wanted the YAESU FTM-400DR, but most people I talked to said their system fusion digital voice stuff is going to go away like betamax.

Just my 2 cents, but I don't think so (at least I hope it doesn't). In less than a year, the Fusion repeater count is at 225. D-star, since 2004 is at 1089. (source is repeaterbook.com)

Yaesu has a very aggressive marketing program going right now for the Fusion System repeaters. ($500) Our club just ordered one and is considering another. I picked up a FTM-400 last weekend to pair it to the Fusion repeater and am just beginning to learn its capabilities.

Every radio has its strong and weak points. It depends on what features interest you the most that should drive your decision. The 8800 is a great radio as long as you don't need APRS. For APRS, the D710 is tops in my book. I use it in the Locked Band repeat mode rather than the Dual Band which solves the ID issue mentioned previously. So far the only let down on the FTM400 is the memory management system (or lack thereof) and a real wimpy mounting bracket. But hey, everything is a compromise. We are hams, we improvise.

mm58

Observer
I have no firsthand experience with digital, but some folks I know swear by Icom D-Star. They say it's capabilities are far above Yaesu. Also you can augment D-Star with D-Rats software.

mike the welder

Adventurer
I just wish they would all agree on a single standard for digital and stick to it, but their all to busy trying to out do each other.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
The benefit of DStar is that there is actually extensive worldwide infrastructure widely supported by local folks. DMR is rapidly catching up to DStar. It's cheaper, sounds better, and has a lot more manufacturers at reasonable price points. I'd say P25 is probably a distant third for digital voice. Namely because of price and the various phases available.

Can't beat analog VHF and HF though for basic comms in remote areas. You are far more likely to find a person with analog than digital anyday.

Don't expect to see Fusion to take off by the way. This is the second time Yaesu tried to do its own thing (anyone actually use WIRES?) and its destined to go the same way. Simply because no one else supports it.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I just wish they would all agree on a single standard for digital and stick to it, but their all to busy trying to out do each other.

I'm actually kind of happy that there isn't agreement. It helps keep digital from being widely adopted. To me, it's like much of today's computer environment - people coming up with solutions without problems. :)

mike the welder

Adventurer
I like the digital over the air aspect, but not to keen on the internet part of it. If I want to send someone a message over the internet I'll just send an email. Unfortunately having no standard won't stop the digital, Dstar, Ecolink etc stuff, it's just slowing it down.

kenaiking

Observer
Well passed the General no problem. I guess I am going to have to start looking at HF gear now. Well and studying for the extra :)

Still waiting for a couple things to start my install on the Tacoma. Hopefully next week.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
Congrats!! Very cool.

My main advice on an HF rig would be to spend a lot of time sorting out what you want for that. HF radios are more expensive, a lot more varied in what they do, and there are more differences between the different manufacturers than you had with the dual bands.

kenaiking

Observer
Thanks!! I am still looking at HF rigs but leaning toward the FT-857 and buddy pole set up. I am not going to be sitting at home searching for QSO's (not that there is any thing wrong with that) but I just don't have the time. I would love to take it out camping or hiking and make contacts though or set it up in the yard when I do have time. SOTA peaks my interest (pun intended ) as well.

I am sure that will change as life goes on :)

Expedition Leader
Thanks!! I am still looking at HF rigs but leaning toward the FT-857 and buddy pole set up. I am not going to be sitting at home searching for QSO's (not that there is any thing wrong with that) but I just don't have the time. I would love to take it out camping or hiking and make contacts though or set it up in the yard when I do have time. SOTA peaks my interest (pun intended ) as well.

I am sure that will change as life goes on :)

I have made contacts all over the world with my Buddipole and only a 100-watt Kenwood TS-480SAT. The Buddipole is super versatile, but it's really just an antenna-building tool kit so there is a bit of a learning curve with it. There are a lot of good videos and other instructions on the interwebs that can get you started, but along the way you will learn a lot about antenna theory and practice.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
The 857 is a great radio, especially for mobile. I know a couple of guys that have them, and love them. They run great from battery power. Some HF rigs will shut down when run at higher power on 12v batteries.

All that said, the 857 is a little heavy for backpacking. I think if I were going to play with going out in the woods w/ a radio on my back, and I didn't want to use just morse code, I'd look for an 817. And a little manual tuner. And a homemade wire antenna. (Really, really easy to do, and works as well as anything you can buy.) And an android phone or tablet with PSK and a homemade cable. With 5 watts and code or PSK, you can talk around the world on HF.

But if I were looking for a mobile or emergency use HF rig, the 857 would be at the top of my list.

kenaiking

Observer
Thanks Tom,

I am actually looking at the FX4A for backpacking with a LNR Trail Friendly antenna. Still have a bunch of research to do though. I do like the 817 as well. If I could get my hands on a IC-703 I would grab it and be done but those seem hard to come by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior