What's the truth regarding new speakers for a Monty?

Styyy

Adventurer
After reading many posts on speaker installs for my second gen Monty,I'm still not 100%sure if I can use regular 4 ohm speakers? I've read in a few places that the system requires 2ohm speakers? Can someone set the record straight?

Styyy

Adventurer
Oh, it's a 1995 SR with the factory double din with the equalizer on the bottom and a cd changer in the cargo area.

clmrt

Adventurer
Lower impedance allows the amp to develop more power. You could use 16 ohm speakers if you wanted to, but the amp would put out much less power.

vanatee2000

Observer
Or get a multimeter and test the impedance of the speakers and get some that match. That's the way I would do it to ensure that I was getting proper replacements.

Styyy

Adventurer
Why would the impedance be different from one montero to the next? Wouldn't the factory keep it consistent? That's why I posted this question. I know I can use my multimeter to check. But why would I need to do that when hundreds of people on here have already upgraded their speakers. I would understand if I asked "how do I test the impedance of my speakers",sometimes it's amazing what responses people make.
It still doesn't really answer my question or explain why some people have upgraded their speakers to 4ohm speakers only to have their head unit blow a week later. That's what I'm trying to avoid and I was hoping someone that went through this would chime in and steer me in the right direction,not tell me to get a multimeter and have a go at testing the impedience and hope for the best.

Thanks

vanatee2000

Observer
Well, the truth is if you don't want to believe what you've already found in your research you might need to check it out yourself. You can put in any speakers you want but it takes only a couple minutes to figure it out yourself. So I guess you can wait days to have someone give you the answer, which I'm guessing you won't be satisfied with, or take a half hour, quit being lazy, and get your answer without any doubts. Or not, it's your rig. If you get the impedance there is no reason to "hope for the best"

Last edited:

Styyy

Adventurer
It's not a "lazy" issue, I've got 2 young children,run my own business. Ive never been particularlly interested in electricity. I've been picking my battles and just finished replacing my catalytic converter and tailpipe, fixed my fog lights,converted my interior lights to LED,changed all fluids... So to save time I asked for people who have gone through thie speaker upgrade for assistance. Really didn't want a lesson on electricity.

Styyy

Adventurer
I have no problem helping people out with my experiences regarding upgrades or whatever it may be.

Cheers

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Well, you do post questions sometimes to which the answer already exists (we all do this sometimes). For example, the link I provided to your converter thread was from another recent thread on the topic. I replaced my speakers recently after finding the info on here and that thread still exists, good luck.

Styyy

Adventurer
I always search and research before I post a question. But many times there are contradicting responses and threads, kinda like this thread now is ,thanks to some great informative sarcastic remarks, that the reader has to weed through to get nothing related to the original posters question. It becomes a waste of time. It would have been awesome to search for my answer and actually get a straight forward answer, but I guess that's not possible when it's people like the responders to this thread answering the questions.

Styyy

Adventurer
Well, you do post questions sometimes to which the answer already exists (we all do this sometimes). For example, the link I provided to your converter thread was from another recent thread on the topic. I replaced my speakers recently after finding the info on here and that thread still exists, good luck.

I guess it does take luck, not sure why?

vanatee2000

Observer
It becomes a waste of time. It would have been awesome to search for my answer and actually get a straight forward answer, but I guess that's not possible when it's people like the responders to this thread answering the questions.

You mean when clmrt gave you an explanation, when dorifto provided a link with info, when bopoh provided info and calculations, or when I suggested there was an additional way? Seems to me like you got 4 answers and rather than asking more questions just tried to make some silly remark about how you didn't ask how to measure impedence...then went on to say you didn't want a lesson on electricity as though you got one? I'll refer back to my previous post and ask: wouldn't it have been easier and faster to just measure the ohms yourself if you didn't like the information that you've found in your research or the suggestions you received?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94