What's the truth regarding new speakers for a Monty?

clmrt

Adventurer
Stop worrying and enjoy the music.

Let's break it down -

"Why would the impedance be different from one (M)ontero to the next?"

Is it? Show me links. But really, it's no consequence.

"Wouldn't the factory keep it consistent?"

If there are variances, it may be that Mitsu is a large conglomerate. Perhaps various runs of speakers were made to suit engineering specs for several projects over time, and the factory used what was available. Or, they made running changes to the spec as issues cropped up or improvements became available. Dropping to 2 ohms draws more current to do more work across the load, meaning more power on tap from the same amp. The problem is that if the amp cannot handle the stress or dissipate the heat, bad things happen. If the change went to 4 ohms from 2, it was likely due to those factors. They may have been looking to the 2 ohm spec speaker to make the system louder. It's easier to make a low-impedance voice coil rather than redesigning the amp for more power.

Also, speaker sensitivity influences loudness, but other factors render that a difficult goal to pursue if you intend to retain bass output. You wind up redesigning the cone and surround. Dropping the coil to 2 ohms gives more power at the risk of frying the amp.

"That's why I posted this question. I know I can use my multimeter to check. But why would I need to do that when hundreds of people on here have already upgraded their speakers. I would understand if I asked "how do I test the impedance of my speakers",sometimes it's amazing what responses people make.
It still doesn't really answer my question or explain why some people have upgraded their speakers to 4ohm speakers only to have their head unit blow a week later."

Try to buy a full-range 2-ohm speaker. It's not easy. I'll bet these people shorted out their systems with a loose wire or there was some other pre-existing condition.

"That's what I'm trying to avoid and I was hoping someone that went through this would chime in and steer me in the right direction,not tell me to get a multimeter and have a go at testing the impedience and hope for the best."

Go buy the best speaker you can afford. Make it a 4-ohm speaker. Install it and hope for the worst, so you will be ever more pleased when it actually works.

If it doesn't, try again with what you've learned, and share the results so that we may benefit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier