The ultimate cargo slide/tray?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Don't forget about a rear seat delete option that uses all that space.
Like us, many couples buy the Unlimited just for the space, not the seating.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I'm not really a fan of cooking in the vehicle/on the back of the vehicle. I don't really want cooking smoke to infiltrate my headliner and upholstery. I do think putting a cooler or fridge on the slider is a great use of the space, and takes advantage of vehicle power, but I think I'd rather do cooking a little ways away from the Jeep. Maybe only a few feet, but placed so the smoke doesn't fill up the Jeep.

I agree with this sentiment 100%. I don't cook from the tailgate, instead I travel with a portable table which lets me choose where to set up the stove or grill (whichever I happened to bring) based on how the rest of camp is set up. The idea of a modular and removable system sounds great, I look forward to seeing how your ideas evolve.

I'm currently working on a very simple design that consists of a rectangular plywood floor that takes up most of the JKU's cargo area and will be fastened down using 4 of the factory d-ring locations. I'll attach a fridge slider on the drivers side and have a smallish hinged door that will let me access the storage cubby from the passenger side. I'll probably add some sort of mount for my battery box to help keep it tied down, in front of this door. My main goals are to have something that is functional yet quickly removable and can be accomplished with my extremely limited wood working and fabrication skills.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
The biggest problem with all of these commercially available cargo slides is their otherworldly cost. If someone was able to make one that was even halfway reasonably priced, they'd sell as many as they could produce!

Bloody

I like Front Runner's cargo slide, especially when used in conjunction with their interior rack. I find them elegantly simple and, thus, functional and flexible. Pretty close to ultimate, in my view. My only complaint is that the cargo slide is sized to accommodate the sub-woofer. So, for those JKs without the sub-woofer or the 2015s with the sub-woofer recessed in the floor, the cargo slide does not span the entire width of the cargo area. Front Runner should make two sizes.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The biggest problem with all of these commercially available cargo slides is their otherworldly cost. If someone was able to make one that was even halfway reasonably priced, they'd sell as many as they could produce!
Price and weight. Don't forget that a JK has a GVWR that's Prius sized.

jscherb

Expedition Leader

Price and weight. Don't forget that a JK has a GVWR that's Prius sized.

I like Front Runner's cargo slide, especially when used in conjunction with their interior rack. I find them elegantly simple and, thus, functional and flexible. Pretty close to ultimate, in my view. My only complaint is that the cargo slide is sized to accommodate the sub-woofer. So, for those JKs without the sub-woofer or the 2015s with the sub-woofer recessed in the floor, the cargo slide does not span the entire width of the cargo area. Front Runner should make two sizes.

I mentioned in the first post of this thread that I have friends at a company that manufactures slides for RVs, here are some photos of their products. They make a range of slide products, ranging from a the smaller slides at the bottom right that retail starting less than $150, up to larger 800-lb capacity slides (bottom left) that retail starting around $300.

They make a wide range of sizes, so when we come to some conclusions here in this thread about a good size for the Jeep application, I'll see if they have one that size already, if not they'd probably be willing to make up one to a custom size for me.

MSlides1_zps0a38c4ac.jpg

I'm still working on the design for a complete "system", which would include what I'd call "snap-in" accessories. What I mean by that, for example, is a fixed shelf mounted high enough above the slide so that a fridge could be on the slide and fit below the shelf. By "snap in", I mean that the shelf could be installed/removed very quickly, so the Jeep could be configured for different errands easily - I don't like the idea of a system that is pretty much a permanent installation and therefore limits the usefulness of the Jeep for other jobs. Similary, I'd make the slide quickly removable, so the entire cargo compartment could be cleared of all of this stuff when all of the space is needed to haul a single large item.

I agree about the pricing of most of the commercially available slides, I don't see why a basic Jeep slide couldn't be priced in the same range as the RV slides this company makes.

Please keep the input coming, as I hear more about the features you guys would want in the ultimate cargo slide/tray system I'll keep refining my basic design to suit as many of those needs as I can.

And if you've got dimensions for what you think the perfect slide should be, please let me know so I can check the company's range of products to see if they already make something that size.

For the record: I am not an employee of the aforementioned RV company.

miyvh7

Please do not forget those of us still running the TJ and older platforms in you dimensioning and designing stage. I too am a fan of your previous projects so this should result in the same high level of execution. Thanks for your work in benefiting the community as a whole looking forward to the results.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Please do not forget those of us still running the TJ and older platforms in you dimensioning and designing stage. I too am a fan of your previous projects so this should result in the same high level of execution. Thanks for your work in benefiting the community as a whole looking forward to the results.

Thanks. I've got three things here with TJ-width tailgates that are great candidates for cargo slides - my LJ-8 Safari, my Jeep-tub trailer, and my fiberglass replica military trailer, so I definitely want to do something that applies equally well to them. Might be that an optimal JK version would be wider than a TJ version, so maybe I'll get the RV company to do two different sizes for me.

CanvasFinal4_zps246b349c.jpg

M72RTT2_zps3f6bd48a.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In about 2 weeks I'll be meeting with the company that manufactures the RV slides, one of the items on the agenda will be what we've been discussing in this thread.

Here's what I think I'm shooting for:

1. A price meaningfully lower than any of the slides currently on the market.

2. Easy to install and remove - I want to be able to quickly remove the entire system from the back of the Jeep - I don't want it to be so involved to install and remove that it become basically a permanent installation which limits the usefulness of the Jeep for other activities.

3. Modularity - the system should start with a basic slide, and be easily upgradeable by adding components - perhaps a drawer, a tray mounted above the cargo in the slide, etc.

4. Configurability - the components in point 3 above should also comply with point 2 - so for example, if I need a tray mounted above the cargo in the slide for one journey, I should be able to "snap" it in place for the journey, and remove it easily afterward. I put "snap" in quotes because it may not actually snap in, perhaps wing nuts or some other fastening would be required, but you get the idea.

5. Sizes- haven't decided exactly on the sizing, still hoping for input from you guys on that.

Do you think that list covers it? What have I missed?

rubicon91

Explorer
Jeff. I have been thinking on some items that have been mentioned and what we talked about. I would not mind seeing some sort of raised platform as we talked about that can utilize the storage area underneath and maybe also be able to put a table there to store. Say 6 inches high. Idk what the frontrunner table looks like but it is supposed to fit under the roof rack. So in essence the guys who don't cook off back of jeep would have storage for a table for instance. Maybe where each side of the tray can seperate so you can just slide out the fridge without sliding the other side out so ones who want to cook off back of jeep still have that option. Not sure if that is even feasible. And with being raised weight it could hold but I imagine it would be in line with frontrunner slide out tray. It all intrigues me but I am not sure if it is feasible. Good news though is if it is I am sure you would figure it out. Also maybe utilize the entire rear of jeep instead of stopping where subwoofer is. Adjustable rack above to store other items. Maybe that slides out as well. Not sure if rear of jeep would enable. But again price point would be a factor. If you are in realm of the others then I just don't know if it works but half the price say and a compatible system and well I will definitely be a guinea pig to test out. And I think it could work. Other issue I see is making it where there is not too many moving parts so the chance of breaking is less. Ok done rambling I am by far a novice but a working slide that is affordable makes the world of difference in the market I think. I hope you guys have a safe trip back. Lord knows the weather is awful up north currently. Can't beat our SWFL weather currently. Safe travels my friend!
Donny

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff. I have been thinking on some items that have been mentioned and what we talked about. I would not mind seeing some sort of raised platform as we talked about that can utilize the storage area underneath and maybe also be able to put a table there to store. Say 6 inches high. Idk what the frontrunner table looks like but it is supposed to fit under the roof rack. So in essence the guys who don't cook off back of jeep would have storage for a table for instance. Maybe where each side of the tray can seperate so you can just slide out the fridge without sliding the other side out so ones who want to cook off back of jeep still have that option. Not sure if that is even feasible. And with being raised weight it could hold but I imagine it would be in line with frontrunner slide out tray. It all intrigues me but I am not sure if it is feasible. Good news though is if it is I am sure you would figure it out. Also maybe utilize the entire rear of jeep instead of stopping where subwoofer is. Adjustable rack above to store other items. Maybe that slides out as well. Not sure if rear of jeep would enable. But again price point would be a factor. If you are in realm of the others then I just don't know if it works but half the price say and a compatible system and well I will definitely be a guinea pig to test out. And I think it could work. Other issue I see is making it where there is not too many moving parts so the chance of breaking is less. Ok done rambling I am by far a novice but a working slide that is affordable makes the world of difference in the market I think. I hope you guys have a safe trip back. Lord knows the weather is awful up north currently. Can't beat our SWFL weather currently. Safe travels my friend!
Donny
Donny,
Thanks for the input.

I'll take a look at optionally enabling the slide to be raised so something like a table could be slid underneath and stored. I don't think that would be too hard.

Having both sides slide out independently would basically mean having two slide mechanisms, which might end up causing the price to be too high, and I want to make sure I keep the cost down.

The factory subwoofer is kind of annoying for something like this, perhaps two different width slides would have to be made for use in Jeeps with and Jeeps without the subwoofer. Could also be that the narrower one that works with the subwoofer in place might also be a good width for TJ/YJ/CJ Jeeps, I'm checking on those dimensions.

Could be some testers would be required, if so, you'll be #2 on my list (my friend Tom, who is local to me, will probably be first on my list by default because he's local :)).

Trip back hasn't started yet, still heading south - drove to Key West today. Will start the trek back north in a few days.

Jeff

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
the lighter the better!

I am a huge fan of aluminum and carbon fiber. (IMO) For the Jeep, anything that does not need to be solid should look like Swiss cheese. Engineered ridges, beaded holes, etc. for strength, and use the thinnest material possible. Would be cool to set a race shop engineer onto this task.
A pair of sliders lose about three inches times their length, in storage space. Could the same job be done in a different fashion?
Lately, I've been thinking about an aluminum sheet elevated flat floor (about 10") with locking hatches and no sliders. The idea being to help keep the weight down, and maximize locked available space.
An option for those of us that either don't have, or are willing to delete, the subwoofer to have a wider box would be really cool as well.

Will look forward to see what you come up with. :beer:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I am a huge fan of aluminum and carbon fiber. (IMO) For the Jeep, anything that does not need to be solid should look like Swiss cheese. Engineered ridges, beaded holes, etc. for strength, and use the thinnest material possible. Would be cool to set a race shop engineer onto this task

I'm pretty sure a race shop, given free reign with carbon fiber and aluminum, would have a lot of trouble meeting my design requirement #1:

1. A price meaningfully lower than any of the slides currently on the market.

:)

Bluedog225

Observer
Capacity. It would be nice if it could be left extended and loaded with no concerns. Even with fold out tables incorporated. May require light fold out adjustable legs. And a cam lock or pin to keep it out on uneven ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior