The ultimate cargo slide/tray?

akpostal

Adventurer
In about 2 weeks I'll be meeting with the company that manufactures the RV slides, one of the items on the agenda will be what we've been discussing in this thread.

Here's what I think I'm shooting for:

1. A price meaningfully lower than any of the slides currently on the market.

2. Easy to install and remove - I want to be able to quickly remove the entire system from the back of the Jeep - I don't want it to be so involved to install and remove that it become basically a permanent installation which limits the usefulness of the Jeep for other activities.

3. Modularity - the system should start with a basic slide, and be easily upgradeable by adding components - perhaps a drawer, a tray mounted above the cargo in the slide, etc.

4. Configurability - the components in point 3 above should also comply with point 2 - so for example, if I need a tray mounted above the cargo in the slide for one journey, I should be able to "snap" it in place for the journey, and remove it easily afterward. I put "snap" in quotes because it may not actually snap in, perhaps wing nuts or some other fastening would be required, but you get the idea.

5. Sizes- haven't decided exactly on the sizing, still hoping for input from you guys on that.

Do you think that list covers it? What have I missed?

You sir are Awesome!

Septu

Explorer
I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have sliding tray at floor level, and a fixed (or maybe sliding) tray just above fender level or maybe a little higher so a fridge or large cooler could fit on the lower slide. Also thinking the upper tray/slide should be adjustable in height, so the height could be optimized to the cargo in the lower slide.

When you say a flat floor, what exactly do you mean?
How high would the floor be? Above cargo in the lower slide?

I'm also trying to decide if the lower slide should be the full width of the tailgate opening, or if it should be narrower allowing some cargo space to be put on the floor on the side of a narrower slide.
Pilfered this from jeepforum.
ronjenx said:
I have seen this done before, but with a wood frame.
I wanted to keep the weight to a minimum, so I used steel studs; much more fun to work with.
Most things I always carry will fit under the cover. Larger items will fit if placed in the original depression in the floor. This arrangement keeps things out of sight. Looking in through the window, the back appears empty.
I still have to bolt it down, (will use rivnuts in the tub floor), and install a lock.
I'll show the finished product first, then some construction pics.

01FloorInstalled.jpg

02FloorStorage.jpg

03FloorHalfFlat.jpg

Sliding the front seats all the way forward will allow the two headrests to go flat, too. Plenty of room to lay out a sleeping bag, or an inflatable mattress.
IMG_0959.jpg

Septu

Explorer
I'm not really a fan of cooking in the vehicle/on the back of the vehicle. I don't really want cooking smoke to infiltrate my headliner and upholstery. I do think putting a cooler or fridge on the slider is a great use of the space, and takes advantage of vehicle power, but I think I'd rather do cooking a little ways away from the Jeep. Maybe only a few feet, but placed so the smoke doesn't fill up the Jeep.

Jeff, you know if you don't burn your supper, that's not an issue right? :chef: :p

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Capacity. It would be nice if it could be left extended and loaded with no concerns. Even with fold out tables incorporated. May require light fold out adjustable legs. And a cam lock or pin to keep it out on uneven ground.

Good points, thanks.

I believe the company's current slides have locks in both positions, but I'll make sure whatever I come up with does have them in both.

The slides the company makes for RV's have a load capacity from 250 lbs. up to 800 lbs. I'm thinking something at the lower end of the range would be sufficient, but what do you guys think? Do you need more than 250 lbs. capacity on the slide?

njjeepthing

Explorer
I removed my slide, because all it did was rattle when it was empty. With some weight on it, it was a bit better but still could hear it rattling.
So if your making something to go inside a Jeep, try to keep it quiet.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I removed my slide, because all it did was rattle when it was empty. With some weight on it, it was a bit better but still could hear it rattling.
So if your making something to go inside a Jeep, try to keep it quiet.

I completely agree, I won't have anything in or on my Jeep that rattles. I'll make sure it doesn't.

Also, part of my plan is to make it very simple to remove/reinstall, so you wouldn't have to carry it around all the time if you only used it for longer trips, camping, overlanding, etc.

I love my new adventure trailers setup, I went through and originally built my own but weight was a factor. The only thing it needed that it didn't come with was a bottle opener. The shelf is synergy roll bar brackets and the gobi front insert.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422712804.868614.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I love my new adventure trailers setup, I went through and originally built my own but weight was a factor. The only thing it needed that it didn't come with was a bottle opener. The shelf is synergy roll bar brackets and the gobi front insert.

Do you ever take any of it out of the Jeep or do you leave it all in all the time?

Hi,

Have the standard Frontrunner set, rack tray + slide out.

I am very happy with that configuration. Enough space for my Engel fridge and a very solid construction which allows heavy loading on the top deck too (good fixation necessary of course). Have three waterproofed bags for the upper deck and an alloy box fitting exactly with the fridge on the slide out.

Only negative points are the heavy weight and the price.

Cheers,
Guido

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz