Moto surfboard/SUP rack for Baja

con kso

Adventurer
Greetings all,

Just wanted to let you check out a great custom made rack I had made for my DRZ400s for an extended Baja surf trip I just completed in southern Baja.

Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 10.38.25 AM.jpg

The rack was made for me by Justin at Nomadic-Racks. He's out of Santee, California (I found him on Craigslist) and I've got nothing but good things to say about the guy and his work. I contacted him a week before the trip (on a whim, thinking it'd be sweet to be able to have a second way to get my board to the beach- I trailered the bike down behind my truck- you can read about the whole trip at www.paddlesurf.net) and he had me bring the bike and board in to his shop.

I left the bike and board with him and he turned the rack out in about five days. Awesome. He built the rack to that it can be removed by four allen head bolts. I surf and stand up paddle surf so I wanted the rack to be able to carry my 5'8 fish as well as my 9'0 stando. The rack was made so that when I sat on the bike and compressed the suspension, the board would ride level.

I know you've heard this before but I'm not kidding here- at 30 - 40 mph with the 9'0 stando on the bike- you don't even feel it. Now I would not ever ride it at high speed on a freeway or highway but I'd do 30mph on a Baja dirt road without a worry.

I used the bike and rack as an ancillary surf vehicle while camped in southern Baja- I rode it across loose sand beaches and on washboard graded roads. I nailed a cardon with it when I went trail riding and didn't take it off- the front rack bent a tiny bit but it still carried the boards without a problem (I'm not even going to straighten it out because it still works).

Just wanted to let you all know about the great work Justin did- he also makes racks for luggage on dual sport bikes and will do larger custom jobs. He charged me a fair price that was within a few dollars of his quote. I'm happy with the rack and will definitely use him again when I get another crazy idea.

You can see more photos of the rack at http://www.paddlesurf.net/2015/01/southern-baja-part-9.html

volcomsurfer

Adventurer
Killer. I am hoping that my van will be able to get close enough to where I wouldn't have to trek or unload the bike. But this is something I need to look into for those times that I can't. Do you mind if I ask how much he charged?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz