Fuel Tank Options

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
I wish Titan had some options for us. Spoke to them a few years ago and they told me they'd make a mold for the E series midship tank. For 50k.

Do the vans use the same style spare tire lift as the pickups? Titan has a 30 gallon tank that fits in the spare tire for F series, might fit vans with some mods?

http://titanfueltanks.com/products/...iliary-fuel-system-for-ford-1999-2007-4020299

https://titanfueltanks.com/instruct...n-Instructions-for-STAFS-4020299-4.25.14B.pdf

titan.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

bet on black

As much as I'd like to make these a simple install, the fact is that these tanks don't just go right in. It's a lot of work. I've designed my own cross members to make things easier for us to install here but it still isn't easy enough that I'd feel comfortable selling them without a huge caveat...and that would be you'd pretty much be on your own for the rest of it. I've now done 5 installs (all EBs) and 1 coming up soon (RB). All different years, some gas, a diesel, V8s, V10s... Every single one has been different in some way. Whether it is the fuel line size, the sending unit, the evap canister and plumbing, etc, etc... No two vans have been the same. I couldn't tell you what fittings to buy, I can't say for sure what sending unit will work and depending on what type of hitch you have or evap canister, I can't even tell you specifically where to drill the holes for the cross members. I have to figure out each one on the fly. The relocation and venting for the emissions stuff is always a chore and requires custom brackets too. And if you want to do the fuel door like we do, there's a bunch of sheet metal work to do and fabrication of the filler tube. The extra fuel is great but it comes a cost.

The dies I made for the fuel door recess weren't that expensive. just shy of $400 to reproduce. If several people wanted to do it, a "community" set of dies can be made and passed around. Harbor Freight sells a hydraulic ram similar to what I use for drawing the dies together.

I can make the cross members, I can make the dies... I'm not going to have an all inclusive "kit" with step by step instructions though. An ambitious DIY'er can get these tanks installed but be prepared for some frustration and several ****** moments.

i was looking at this fuel door for a jeep , thinking i might be able to make it fit, and not have to dimple the sheetmetal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT1KOJV/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I12VVLMQXF3QBH&colid=2VSQ8NT1N6UNL&psc=1

what do you think?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
i was looking at this fuel door for a jeep , thinking i might be able to make it fit, and not have to dimple the sheetmetal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT1KOJV/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I12VVLMQXF3QBH&colid=2VSQ8NT1N6UNL&psc=1

what do you think?

That will do the job. There is still some internal panel bracing that should be done though.

These two parts, aside from creating a passage for the fuel filler that's sealed off from the interior, really strengthen the filler neck area. I bond them in with a panel bonding adhesive.

DSC_0098.JPGDSC_0100.JPG

bet on black

That will do the job. There is still some internal panel bracing that should be done though.

These two parts, aside from creating a passage for the fuel filler that's sealed off from the interior, really strengthen the filler neck area. I bond them in with a panel bonding adhesive.

thanks for the tip. i found those parts online. will order and add to the aft-axle tank parts pile

Alloy

We've done several 55 gallon tanks behind the axle...

I designed a dimple die tool for putting the fuel door in at that back
View attachment 409280

I've used E-series cross members on several vans for mounting but I'm going to refine the design I did on the Cummins van from here on out. Too hard to find tanks with all the cross members and straps.

View attachment 409281

The tanks are dimensionally 62 gallons but because of baffling and the reality of how much you could actually get out of the tank, you have more like 55 gallons to play with...maybe 57-58.

Nice install!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94