Thread: What did you do to your Mitsubishi today?

towed it back from Bishop to Walnut Creek after it died above 10k feet w/electrical issues on the North side of Coyote Flat. Can now say I have coasted my Montero down crazy steep (well, it seemed that way) trails with no power brakes or steering. Pucker Power!
    Time to dig into FSM.
    Died, no warning. Crank, no start. All fuses and relays check out. No 'check engine' light when turning key to on position. Swapped ecu out with another Montero on the trail, and ecu checked out. OBD2 port won't link to rest of the car. Had an Ultra-gauge plugged in but after car died it wouldn't get past boot screen. Tried two different code readers and both responded with 'link error'
    First time Montero crapped out on me. Back on the trail soon, mark my words.
    03 Element EX modified for Expo travel Sold
    98 4runner. L.A.M.B. (locked, armored, methanol injected & blown) (SOLD)
    06 Tundra DC sr5, toytech/bilstein lift, camberg ucas, SCS Stealth wheels, Cooper Discovery AT3 265/70/-17 tires, SG-II, Pioneer-Navi/DVD, ARE shell, full set of Skid Row plates, Stubbs sliders,
    98 Montero- ome suspension, sliders, garvin roof basket, rear facing LEDs, 42" LED (imitation sun) on a Yak x-bar re-enforced fact skids, aux cooling fans.

Wow, that's no fun. I'm really interested to hear what this problem turns out be, keep us posted and good luck!
    98 Montero LS "Betty" - 33/12.50R15 BFG KO2 tires, 15x8 alloys, 4.90 gears; Rear SR Air Locker; AISIN hubs; Trail-Gear Sliders; OME Springs; Suspension Seats; JAOS Front Skid Plate, Ladder, & Bullbar; Luso Overland Recovery Point; ADD Kingpin; Garvin Roof Rack, Lightforce 170 Striker Lights; Custom Sleeping Platform; Tow Hitch w/ Trailer Brakes; Trasharoo/Shovel Mount...

Repaired drivers side rear door lock actuator. I discovered that a hair dryer releases the dust barrier adhesive like magic, don't cut the plastic! Reinstall the same way by heating and working it back into position.
    Last edited by Salonika; 11-21-2017 at 03:53 AM.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

bikerjosh,

What was the issue with your Monty? Just re-noticed this thread and I don't believe I've seen you post an outcome. Maybe you have. Anyway, I hope you got it up and running easily enough.

Check the control module on the top of the engine, those can come unplugged and shut the whole thing down.

Wheels and tiiiiiires. Will post pics as soon as I get them thigns mounted. Cant wait!

@Toasty, I will look up ‘control module’, doesn’t ring a bell offhand.
    @evomaki, nope still not running. Been doing a lot of multi-meter checking between ECM/harness and other components (nothing definitive yet). Have the front of the motor pulled apart to get to crank/cam position sensors but didn’t realize I needed to pull crank pulley/bolt to get lowest cover off. Didn’t have the tool to hold the crank pulley in place while removing bolt so waiting until Fri/Sat when I can borrow a buddy’s tool.
    Hopefully make a dent in it in the next couple of days.
    03 Element EX modified for Expo travel Sold
    98 4runner. L.A.M.B. (locked, armored, methanol injected & blown) (SOLD)
    06 Tundra DC sr5, toytech/bilstein lift, camberg ucas, SCS Stealth wheels, Cooper Discovery AT3 265/70/-17 tires, SG-II, Pioneer-Navi/DVD, ARE shell, full set of Skid Row plates, Stubbs sliders,
    98 Montero- ome suspension, sliders, garvin roof basket, rear facing LEDs, 42" LED (imitation sun) on a Yak x-bar re-enforced fact skids, aux cooling fans.

Good luck, keep us posted. This is the kind of breakdown that is a huge PITA as involves so much diagnostics. Also, the repair of which is valuable information to the rest of us. Could easily be any of us. Super naive question on my part, but I wonder if there is a way to test the cam and crank sensor before removal of the timing assembly. They do terminate at the top of the intake manifold. Would a failure of those sensors cause a CEL?

I recently dealt with a crank but no start condition that threw a CEL & code right away for the cam sensor. In contrast, I battled a failing crank sensor for a long time a few years ago without ever getting a code specific to the crank sensor. Yes you can test the position sensors but you need a wave form analyzer (oscilloscope) to do it. The FSM has a continuity / resistance check as well but that checked out fine when my crank sensor was failing. If I ever suspect my crank sensor is acting up, this time it’s going straight to a shop with a scope. Worth the $$ to get the diagnosis before tearing it apart.
    Last edited by Salonika; 12-04-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

Quote Originally Posted by Salonika View Post
    I recently dealt with a crank but no start condition that threw a CEL & code right away for the cam sensor. In contrast, I battled a failing crank sensor for a long time a few years ago without ever getting a code specific to the crank sensor. Yes you can test the position sensors but you need a wave form analyzer (oscilloscope) to do it. The FSM has a continuity / resistance check as well but that checked out fine when my crank sensor was failing. If I ever suspect my crank sensor is acting up, this time it’s going straight to a shop with a scope. Worth the $$ to get the diagnosis before tearing it apart.
    Thanks Salonika. I will keep this in mind if similar symptoms start somewhere down the road.
    2001 Jeep Cherokee - big plans with little time means it's in a thousand pieces

2003 Mitsu Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart

Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 LastLast