What did you do to your Mitsubishi today?

vanroth

Observer
Where is this relay located? I need this too.

On the driver's side fuse box under the knee panel. Mine didn't have the relay above the accessory relay (see photo), but it was still pretty clear which one it was from the wiring diagram. You'll just need to bridge connectors 4 & 5. The cigarette adapter is on a separate circuit and will still be switched, but the two accessory ports (console bin and rear cargo area) will now be always hot.

Stevemc181

Observer
Fitted a Torque converter lock up to my Gen 4. http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=42096
Haven't had much of a chance to test it on an extended run yet, but early indications are good. I was finding when running with taller tyres 265/70/17 Micley T P3’s and being heavily loaded that the torque converter was constantly slipping and causing the transmission to run around the 120°C mark at times, even on relatively flat roads.

As soon as I flip the switch the revs drop and the tranny temp comes down to 65°C quite quickly, as an added bonus fuel economy on longer runs will also be greatly improved. The Gen II version of this switch uses pulse width modulation for the TC signal, so hopefully that equals zero fault codes as some were getting using the earlier versions. They also have an option to upgrade the Trans Valve body to their Nomad series, so the TC Lockup will work in 1st and reverse for steep downhill runs, I havent installed the upgraded valve body, as my main aim was to reduce TC Slip at Hwy speeds.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Fitted a Torque converter lock up to my Gen 4. http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=42096
Haven't had much of a chance to test it on an extended run yet, but early indications are good. I was finding when running with taller tyres 265/70/17 Micley T P3’s and being heavily loaded that the torque converter was constantly slipping and causing the transmission to run around the 120°C mark at times, even on relatively flat roads.

As soon as I flip the switch the revs drop and the tranny temp comes down to 65°C quite quickly, as an added bonus fuel economy on longer runs will also be greatly improved. The Gen II version of this switch uses pulse width modulation for the TC signal, so hopefully that equals zero fault codes as some were getting using the earlier versions. They also have an option to upgrade the Trans Valve body to their Nomad series, so the TC Lockup will work in 1st and reverse for steep downhill runs, I havent installed the upgraded valve body, as my main aim was to reduce TC Slip at Hwy speeds.

Great work!
Thanks for sharing this…

Although this product states it's for a Gen. II, will it work in a Gen III as well as a Gen IV?

This is a mod. I've been thinking about for a while now.

Stevemc181

Observer
Great work!
Thanks for sharing this…

Although this product states it's for a Gen. II, will it work in a Gen III as well as a Gen IV?

This is a mod. I've been thinking about for a while now.

The kit I linked to is called a Gen II Kit, but this doesn't refer to the Montero/Pajero generations, it is just the 2nd release version of their Lock-Up kit. I think the kit in this link http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=42065 might be what you are looking for as it will suit models with V4A51 and V5A51 (4 and 5 Speed) Automatic Transmissions.
I am sure they could answer the question for you, best to flick them an email on the following link to ensure you get the right kit. http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/contact.asp

I'm pretty sure with the earlier model Pajero/Montero's you will also get the benefit of locking up the TC in 1st and reverse without having to upgrade to the Nomad Valve body?

motoz

Adventurer
The kit I linked to is called a Gen II Kit, but this doesn't refer to the Montero/Pajero generations, it is just the 2nd release version of their Lock-Up kit. I think the kit in this link http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=42065 might be what you are looking for as it will suit models with V4A51 and V5A51 (4 and 5 Speed) Automatic Transmissions.
I am sure they could answer the question for you, best to flick them an email on the following link to ensure you get the right kit. http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/contact.asp

I'm pretty sure with the earlier model Pajero/Montero's you will also get the benefit of locking up the TC in 1st and reverse without having to upgrade to the Nomad Valve body?

I've fitted this kit to my Triton along with the 3.15 reduction gears...

The big slow down...

As this is the first auto 4wd I have ever own the High Country trip was a steep learning curve. The auto excells in the sand, mud, rocks though hill decents are an isssue. I got caught out a few times on long steep decents with the Tri running away due to the lack of engine breaking. :eek:

The MN also has the habit of automatically changing up a gear mid decent once the revs reach around 3000 RPM. These two traits had me white nuckled on more than one occasion. I researched the issue and found that the torque converter is responsible for the over run issue and the computer controling the shift points the other.

I learnt about a 'lock up' kit that electronically locks the torque converter allowing a solid link between the motor and transmission. After following a few threads and searching through the net I came across the Wholesale Automatics run on the reduction gears and trans uprades.

8B4BA44C-E09D-47E7-9E5C-46A0D335E847-2187-00000173D8CFE9F3.jpg

There was a run of 20 sets of 3.15 ratio gears. 10 sets to suit manual and the other 10 to suit autos. These were made by Marks Adapters.

22CD0E45-1D8A-4DC6-8A09-E3CD87FB83AC-2187-00000173C13A45C1.jpg
5FF51F26-93CE-4D32-B696-853884443A49-2187-00000173A9CFFF19.jpg

I booked in to have them fitted as well as the lock up kit, Nomad valve body, VDO temp gauge etc.

244FD05A-B6CB-4802-AE06-9C95956EC876-2187-00000173FDF41ABC.jpg
4AE1A276-63FA-4C11-BF54-9BA298734401-2187-00000173F10A7360.jpg

In comparison the standard gearset is a 1.9 ratio. These are a 3.15 ratio.

Tested at 3000 RPM standard gear ratio.
1st gear = 15 kmp/h
2nd gear = 29 kmp/h
3rd gear = 41 kmp/h
4th gear = 58 kmp/h

The MN won't let you select overdrive 5th gear while in Lloc.

3000 RPM reduction ratio.

1st gear = 5kmp/h
2nd gear = 17 kmp/h
3rd gear = 25 kmp/h
4th gear = 36 kmp/h

We found the steepest hill at Wombat and crawled it down with the lock up switched on in 1st Lloc. It just tickled along full control. I was amazed at the traction !!! On the climb there was no wheel spin so the ASC / TC wasn't cutting in at all. It really has transformed the vehicle.

:D

The Nomad valve body really helped with a more positive shift and the TC lockup is fantastic for steep descents and climbs or when towing.

JamesW

Adventurer
I made my own lockup for my 2nd gen,just used a relay that engages the solenoid with a momentary push button,and disengages it when the brake is pressed,no PWM needed.It will also lock up when the ECU decides it needs to as usual. I've had it in 2.5 years with no issues caused. towed a 12,000lb trailer without my transmission acting anything but normal. Did toast the engine 2 miles from home though :)

I made my own lockup for my 2nd gen,just used a relay that engages the solenoid with a momentary push button,and disengages it when the brake is pressed,no PWM needed.It will also lock up when the ECU decides it needs to as usual. I've had it in 2.5 years with no issues caused. towed a 12,000lb trailer without my transmission acting anything but normal. Did toast the engine 2 miles from home though :)

Mind doing a write up?

JBThompson

Adventurer
I replaced all the belts today, then went hunting for a rear console and new door switches. I didn't have much luck but I did nab a spare MAF sensor and a few other trinkets.

I'll probably end up going online for the switches but if anyone has or knows where I can find that console, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been watching ebay for weeks and I have yet to see any for a 2nd Gen.

plh

Explorer
rear brakes and rear shocks for the '93 SR today

brakes1.jpg

tools to remove 22yo shocks

brakes2.jpg

installed

brakes3.jpg

All done

92_93.jpg

Anybody have a need for the 4 OEM adjustable shock motors?

Last edited:

vanroth

Observer
Replaced spark plug wires, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, PCV, idler pully, and accessory belt.

A little daunting at first as I was worried I would have trouble putting it back together, but overall it wasn't bad. My newly acquired 12v 3/8" ratchet was awesome and definitely made dis-assembly/assembly much quicker. A previous mechanic had RTV'ed (Permatex black) the valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals. Added a good 45 minutes to remove all of the RTV. Granted it didn't leak!

Next week is the timing belt and water pump!

-vanroth

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I finished all the interior swaps from my other Raider.

Dash
Visors
Seats
Carpets
Seat belts
Interior panels

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94