Isuzu NPS 300 camper build

Ultimark

We recently did a trip to WA and back, over 8,500 kilometres in 4 weeks.
On the way home we drove from Kalgoorlie to Ceduna without buying fuel in between, 1400 kms, used 259 litres of diesel so about 18.5 L/100. Gotta love the range with having 2 x 140 litre tanks, that was with a tail wind of course and sitting on 100 all the way.

We also did Googs' Track which heads north from Ceduna for nearly 200k to the transcontinental rail line, then we went east to Kingoonya then south via the Gawler Ranges road to Iron Knob, a total of 650k.
All the Googs track was in 4x4 and low range for 2/3rds, the rest of the trip to Iron Knob was dirt roads of varying condition and I still got 19.5 L/100k for this leg. Probably because I never went more than about 80KPH for this leg of the trip.

Video and pics from Googs Track

I'm currently working on getting an NPS 300 and running two standard tanks, which as you say are 140 litres each x 2 = 280 litres. You used 259 litres, meaning you had a theoretical 21 litres left. Do you know how low you can go before you are walking? I would have thought the fuel pick-up may have been close to sucking air. I was sort of working on a maximum of 240 litres usable between the two tanks.

Mick.

4x4coaster

Adventurer
I'm currently working on getting an NPS 300 and running two standard tanks, which as you say are 140 litres each x 2 = 280 litres. You used 259 litres, meaning you had a theoretical 21 litres left. Do you know how low you can go before you are walking? I would have thought the fuel pick-up may have been close to sucking air. I was sort of working on a maximum of 240 litres usable between the two tanks.

Mick.
Yes, normally I would allow about the same usable fuel amount. I have always watched my fuel use and if I switch tanks when the warning light comes on, there is nearly always about 20 litres left in the tank, because of my confidence with this I was willing to stretch the distance after the light came on to get the 1400 km range on that trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles