Isuzu NPS 300 camper build

4x4coaster

Adventurer
I have just had my NPS300 re-mapped by a local company, Geelong Performance Centre.
There are 2 hills nearby that I use as a ‘yard stick’ for performance, one leads up to the freeway entrance at the top of a hill and it is a 60KMH road.
Before the remap, I could not maintain 60 in any gear, so usually meant creeping up in 3rd at 40kph, now I can maintain 60 and in 4th gear even accelerate beyond 60kph.
The other hill was actually coming up the freeway to get off at the exit point nearest where I live.
On this hill which is 100kph limit, I usually ended up dropping to 80kph by the time I hit the exit, now after the remap, I can maintain 100 all the way up the hill.

I wanted to get the remap done now because I’m going touring for about 10 days in November and wanted to have the benefit of the extra performance.
With the short drive I’ve had so far I’m pleased with the result.

4x4coaster

Adventurer
What sort of dollars did they charge?
Did they make any changes to the DPF stuff?

G'day Owen
$1595
No change to DPF but did make some changes to the EGR program

My camper would not fit on the Dyno due to the height restriction of the room it is in so all the mods were done on the road.
So no dyno run sheet.

JohnRogers

Observer
Fella here in SA Charges around $1800 turns off dpf and egr up to you to straight pipe dpf or remove it, 20kw/70nm increase at the wheels so fairly good improvement. Vehicle was a ATW Global Warrior. AFR's Better than oem20294491_494270724258758_8261702276422863242_n.jpgView attachment 1456_001.pdf

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Just throw a bit more into your stew. I can pull some higher passes in 5th gear if I hit them early in the morning or in the winter. My neighbor thought I was full of crap when I told him about it. He started paying attention and figured out that his studly Powerstroke lost power at higher temps too.

Cuddy

Observer
Hi glen,

So these gains were achieved without altering the DPF in any way? If so can I ask why you didn't get the DPF deleted for further improvement ?
I am planning on doing some sort of tune not sure yet need to find someone in Sydney . I am hoping to gain better power for towing and will be interested in seeing if there are fuel consumption improvements

pinny6x6

Dion
Just like to say great job on the build 4x4coaster. I'm up the road in ballarat so will keep an eye out for your rig .
Do you know if the changes they made have any effect on the longevity of the engine?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JohnRogers

Observer
Hi glen,

So these gains were achieved without altering the DPF in any way? If so can I ask why you didn't get the DPF deleted for further improvement ?
I am planning on doing some sort of tune not sure yet need to find someone in Sydney . I am hoping to gain better power for towing and will be interested in seeing if there are fuel consumption improvements

My fella said that there was only a 1 kw gain once dpf was removed so the factory exhaust breathes well! He said switching off egr prevents dpf blocking up more frequently requiring less burn offs, but turning dpf off eliminates it all together but must straight pipe to prevent future buildup. He said the reason isuzus are so problematic is because they wait till dpf is 70 % blocked before burnoff where as newer vehicles like the hino do it at 20 so there is so much margin before codes get thrown. No dpf process reduces fuel usage by 1-2 L/100 which is a good saving, and also prevent oil dilution as a result of over fuelling to increase exhaust temps to do the burn all better for long engine life!!

Cuddy

Observer
Hi John, Yup I think I'm sold on the dpf delete, have found a guy to do it so will c how it goes next week. The reckons they start playing up after around 120000 kms
It's not something I want to be dealing with out in the middle of nowhere. The cost now could be far cheaper than repairs/ towing etc later

Amesz00

Adventurer
When they do the remap on the Isuzu’s do they fiddle with the ramp rate for the VGT? One thing that craps me to tears about them (all Isuzu’s) is despite big capacity and vgt turbos they seem to build almost no boost till you get to 1800-2000.

JohnRogers

Observer
I'm sure the extra fuel would spool it up quicker plus the EGR valve will no longer be open at part throttle allowing boost to be built rather than recirculated round and round, reducing lag. EDIT Spoke to my tuning guy and he said both the fueling and the ramp up are altered in the reflash the egr remaining closed helps also.

Last edited:

4x4coaster

Adventurer
Hi glen,

Cuddy,
no DPF changes and as JohnRogers mentioned, I was also told there is little to gain from a DPF delete in terms of power.
If the tune company was caught doing DPF deletes they can be hit with big fines so he wont do them.
I'd also prefer to keep it all legal.

4x4coaster

Adventurer
Just like to say great job on the build 4x4coaster. I'm up the road in ballarat so will keep an eye out for your rig .
Do you know if the changes they made have any effect on the longevity of the engine?

I met a guy in the landrover club that had a 6x6 pinny, Peter .....?
very interesting and capable vehicle.

As far as longevity goes, I don't think it is a problem, they are not working hard all the time and I will never put enough K's on the clock to wear it out.
Mine is a 2008 model with just over 90,000 on the clock and I doubt that I will put more than 10k on in any year for a while.

4x4coaster

Adventurer
Opinions sought!!!
I have ordered a 4.5m awning for the camper but I'm still debating whether to attach it to the top of the fixed body or to the roof.
My only concern with the roof mounted version is it might cause the roof to sway a bit on even slightly windy days.
Anyone got any experience with having their awning attached to the poptop?
thanks.

pinny6x6

Dion
I met a guy in the landrover club that had a 6x6 pinny, Peter .....?
very interesting and capable vehicle.

As far as longevity goes, I don't think it is a problem, they are not working hard all the time and I will never put enough K's on the clock to wear it out.
Mine is a 2008 model with just over 90,000 on the clock and I doubt that I will put more than 10k on in any year for a while.
Yeah I have known peter for a long time now. Extremely talented fabricator.
Great bit of engineering in the pinzgauer. Hope to have mine restored before taking on a crewcab nps camper project in a couple of years.

Sounds like yours is much more drivable now with the upgrades. This is great to hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles