Isuzu NPS 300 camper build

4x4coaster

Adventurer
Just a couple of update pics,
I have finished the shower curtain and the remaining cupboard doors so interior is pretty much complete.
This last week I also got my engineering sorted (VASS certificate in Aus) Mod plate fitted and now registered as a Motorhome, so the legal side of things is complete!
IMG_0137.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg

4x4coaster

Adventurer
We have just been on a 10 day tour with the NPS camper and everything went well.
A different camp site every night, not once did we connect to power and the batteries never got below 98% full.
Roughly the journey was from Geelong on Boxing Day then through Camperdown, Warrnambool, Portland, Cape Bridgewater, Dartmoor, Mt Gambier, Port Macdonnell, Naracoorte, Natimuk, Horsham, Rocklands Reservoir, The Grampians, Ararat, Green Hill lake and then home. At least 5 nights were beside rivers or lakes which we needed towards the end of the trip when things were hotting up.
Did just under 1800 k’s for the trip. Here is a nice clip from our holiday!

4x4coaster

Adventurer
Off topic, but I spotted these at a truck dealership in Geelong and couldn't resist posting a pic.
4 brand new unimogs destined for fire fighting duties somewhere in Australia.
IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg

4x4coaster

Adventurer
After several great camping/touring trips. I've decided to put a rack on top of the cab for 2 main reasons; 1 to fit my maxtrax and 2 to carry firewood instead of putting it in my rear locker.
You never know what hitch hikers you may have when you pick up dead wood and throw it inside your vehicle.

I purchased the actual roof basket and made all the rest then got it powder coated.
My roof had 2 radio base mounts which I had to remove as they fouled where the cross members needed to go.
This meant stripping out the roof interior so while that was out I took the time to line it all in a 10mm self-adhesive insulating material.
Rather than trying to weld up the 2 holes, I just cut 4 aluminium circles with a hole saw and stuck them to the inside and outside and then
riveted the two together from above with a 6mm rivet and lots of Sikaflex.
I also cut and polished the roof before the last fitting of the rack.

IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg

Last edited:

trackadda

Observer
still looks great and good to see you are putting it to use. How have you found the roof lift actuators being on the inside, do they interfere with the pop top sleeve when the roof is down, i have thoughts about putting them outside as i thought this would be a problem. When roof is down do the actuators hold it tight or do you have to clamp the roof to travel. Has the sleeve been enough to hold roof stable on windy days or would you suggest some extra bracing. sorry for all the questions but i am about to order the same actuators for my build. i see they do 24 volt now as well. thanks mate, Gary

4x4coaster

Adventurer
still looks great and good to see you are putting it to use. How have you found the roof lift actuators being on the inside, do they interfere with the pop top sleeve when the roof is down, i have thoughts about putting them outside as i thought this would be a problem. When roof is down do the actuators hold it tight or do you have to clamp the roof to travel. Has the sleeve been enough to hold roof stable on windy days or would you suggest some extra bracing. sorry for all the questions but i am about to order the same actuators for my build. i see they do 24 volt now as well. thanks mate, Gary

Gary,
while the actuators are inside the vehicle, the pop sleeve is inside the actuators, so when the roof is down, the sleeve folds to the inside of the camper and away from the actuators.
The roof is held down tight by the actuators but I still fitted 2 typical pop top lock down catches to the front as a precaution for high winds when travelling.
When the roof is up and the sides are tight they effectively become a sheet brace so the roof is quite steady, haven't really been out in extreme winds yet though.

trackadda

Observer
thanks for the reply mate, always good to get info from some one that has been there, done that so to speak. one more if you don't mind, your body to chassis mount springs set up, are you happy with the way they are working?. just starting to look for a supplier of the springs and poly insulation material

4x4coaster

Adventurer
thanks for the reply mate, always good to get info from some one that has been there, done that so to speak. one more if you don't mind, your body to chassis mount springs set up, are you happy with the way they are working?. just starting to look for a supplier of the springs and poly insulation material

PM sent about springs,
this is who I got the polyurethane from;

www.nationalplastics.net.au

they are near Brisbane

4x4coaster

Adventurer
trackadda,
paid about 2300 for the 3 tanks including fitted senders and a gauge with 3 way switch,
Yes they are custom made but most tanks are, its the only way to get efficient use of the space.

DSC03105.JPG
DSC03107.JPG

made my own supports and suspended them with 12mm longthread and nyloc nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles