2002 Tahoe "Expedition" build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
there will be no difference in stress with wheels or spacers since all the weight goes to the same place with wheels and spacers if you change the backspacing.

ZapataUSMC

Thank you for your input gentlemen. Pictures of this last weekend exploring after a rainy day.

Attachments

• 0326171459c.jpg
    0326171459c.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 0326171459d.jpg
    0326171459d.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 247

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Zapata Your Tahoe does look good with the Rubi wheels on it. Two thumbs up.

Saw your truck featured on Stacy David's Gearz. Pretty cool man!

Thank you much! I was amazed they chose to feature it on their show. I had heard nothing since I submitted it to their site a few months ago. A pleasant surprise to start my morning.

bigred805

First off let me say your tahoe looks amazing:love:! I have a 2003 LT and I've been slowly building a pile of suspension parts to do a refresh/upgrade since its a higher mileage vehicle (almost at 180,000). Your truck is totally going to serve as inspiration for my build and I will definitely borrow an idea or two from you! I have a few more things to buy before I do the suspension refresh but once I have everything I will make a build thread.

I had noticed you said that you had trimmed 1/2 inch from your front bump stops to try to get a little more travel and I was wondering if you meant the upper droop stops? Thanks again for sharing such an awesome build!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I had noticed you said that you had trimmed 1/2 inch from your front bump stops to try to get a little more travel and I was wondering if you meant the upper droop stops? Thanks again for sharing such an awesome build!

Thanks for the compliment Bigred, I appreciate it a lot. I ended up replacing the bump stops with replacement factory ones since the "crunch" of hitting potholes got a bit old, the impact would be more severe without that extra bit of material. The payoff in articulation off- road was not worth the on- road ride, where it lives most of the time.

Guess I should post a little update, hard to believe I have been a member here for 10 years now. I am grateful for all the kind words sent my way over the years, both in this build thread and in the numerous PM's that I have gotten. This is truly one of the more enjoyable forums around. Tahoe has just over 103K on the odometer and it still running well. I plan on keeping her until it falls apart, which hopefully will be a long time from now.

The only notable thing I have done recently was to have gotten rid of my old Nitto Terra Grapplers and replaced them with Cooper Discoverer AT3s. The Nittos still had tread left in them but the rubber had gotten hard, I was noticing an increase in braking driving in the rain, and a lot of tire spin on launch from a intersection in the rain or snow. Since the Discoverers had great results in the Overland Journal tire tests, I decided to give them a try, I have a set in 305/70R17's on the Mojave's. They are about 1 to 1.5 inches taller than the Nittos so I got a bit more ground clearance out of them. There is some rubbing in the front fenders at max lock but otherwise they seem to fit well. I have not yet had a chance to take them on a good off road journey (seems to be raining every time I have days off this year) but am happy with their road manners. Heres a couple pics.

20181118_160219.jpg

20181118_160219.jpg

20181118_160232.jpg

A minor detail, I have been running with my roof rack front off road lights folded down since I noticed a decrease in the air noise and they are not in the way when I throw a kayak up there and strap it down. On the rare chance I actually need them, it is a simple matter of flipping them back up.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I have the Cooper ATPs (roughly the same thing as the AT3 but sold at only Discount Tire). Good tire. Seem to wear nice. I took a gash in the sidewall in one (I believe on Black Bear Pass) but it didn't puncture the tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94