Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Question - Cooper AT3 vs. Duratrac in snow

Default Tire Question - Cooper AT3 vs. Duratrac in snow

Needing new tires for the Taco. 235/85/16 will be the size I grab. Both the Cooper AT3 and Wranger Duratrac will handle the off road driving I do (here and in CO elk hunting). Wondering from folks that have them what the winter snow performance is like? Most tire reviews are focused on dirt/rock/mud and not good old slick midwestern snow.

Thoughts?

I can't speak for the AT3s, but I can for the Duratracs. The Duratracs handle very well in the snow, especially when aired down. Much better than I expected. They do have ridges between the tread blocks that (supposedly) improve snow traction, and the tread blocks are siped slightly for improved ice traction (as are the AT3s). I had mine aired down to 8 psi and was amazed at where I was going in the snow. I have had them on mostly spring corn, slush, and ice. I have had them on fresh snow a little, and was not disappointed there either. I doubt the AT3s would be better, but I cant say for sure. I can say that these are better in the snow than any other aggressive all-terrain tire I have had before.

I'm sure my comments will become irrelevant when more experienced people post, but hope this helps in the mean time.

I'm sure you know what they look like, but so you don't have to search, this shows the sipes and if you look closely, you can see the ridges between the tread blocks.
    Last edited by WhiteH2O; 02-04-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Intrigued. I have heard praises of the Duratracs, but would like to see some testimony on both here.
    I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
    they've always worked for me.

THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.​

In my limited amount of snow time with the Duratracs they have been great. For a DD that see inclement weather snow and rain they are great. I think they are a great rain tire. That being said the Duratracs Load range C and E are only a 2 ply tire. They are a soft tire there is no doubt about that. Funny because the first time off roading with a new set of Duratracs I got a cut on the sidewall of one of the tires....so I put that tire as a permanent spare. 20,000 miles later the other 4 have done very well....no cuts in the sidewall, wearing great (I rotate every 5K). They do OK in mud...and they do clear eventually.

Cons:

1) 2 ply vs 3 ply...The ST Maxx which is a head to head comparison offers 3 ply on both the Load C and E tires....that is a clear winner in my mind and that is why I will be switching to the ST Maxx 255/75/17 Load Range C tire this year...but I will keep the DTs until I am sure the ST Maxx is what I want.

2) ST Maxx 3 ply is cheaper vs the DT 2 ply tire...for my tire sizes anyway.

2) Lots of weight to balance...

3) Potential sidewall issues

Pros:

1) Great performing tire....

2) Great looking tire if you are in to that

3) Soft ride on the road

4) Wears evenly and does not pull

Check out my build thread and the update I did on the DTs last May...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ghlight=ssf556

If you decide of the DTs...looks at the sister tire the Kelly Safari TSR...slightly different tread pattern but the same tire..about $20 less than the DT in your size.

http://www.treaddepot.com/group/stsr.html
    Last edited by SSF556; 02-04-2015 at 07:50 PM.
    2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD QT2
    GDE ECO Tune 241hp/440torque
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...d-Cherokee-CRD

I guess ill just add another+1 for the Duratracs in the snow. I have been impressed. They will dig (as with any MT tire) in the soft snow if your not careful. Its just a matter of the more aggressive MT tread design

I'll cast my usual vote for the Duratracs. An excellent combination good snow/trail performance and very credible handling on dry and wet pavement.
    Mike Hiscox

2003/2014 Sprinter 2500 mid/tall custom conversion
    2012 Porsche Cayenne TT on Duratracs
    2008 Lexus GX470
    1989 Yamaha FJ1200 sidecar rig

I have 33x12.5 duratracs on my 2 door explorer and I live at 9300 feet in Colorado and they do great in the snow (which seems to be about 8 months out of the year up here)...when in 4hi they are really solid, I have no worries about losing traction. I usually just leave it in 2wd with some weight in the back and have yet to get stuck.

I had the bfg at/ko before and these are much better in my opinion in the snow. My alignment was off between my last rotation (every 3-5k miles) and they got pretty worn before I noticed... it was my fault though. The tread does seem to hold on to rocks and mud until I hit highway speeds. I will likely replace with the same tires in fall, so about 2 years after I got them.... wouldn't have to replace so soon if it weren't for the alignment issue.

I might add that the good years can also be studded
    2012 Tacoma " The do it all Mr. fix it"
    1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Limited 3.slo " the wife's winter rig/ dont feel bad beating it off road"
    2000 Civic " The boring gas sipper"
    1999 BMW F650 classic " The fun gas sipper"

I'll also speak up for the Duratracs in the snow. It was one of the prime factors in why I chose them. Just had mine out in mixed snow and ice conditions last weekend and once again I was able to out-climb guys on BFGs even though my rig comes in around 7000 lbs.

I run 32" tires as they're the biggest I can reasonably fit on my Rover; 275-65-18 in E load. I don't run as low pressure as many; I was at 18/22 f/r last weekend. Even at that pressure if I load up one corner it really squashes my small sidewalls down. In a pinch I'm sure I could drop further, but I wouldn't do it in the rocks for fear of damaging a wheel rim.

I've had them in pretty much everything but sand and they've done well everywhere. I do have a few small spots of chunking starting to show up after about 10K miles but nothing to get worried over. They have also become louder at this point; enough so that I don't recommend them to people looking for daily driver tires unless I know them well enough to know they're OK with such things.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the AT3. It seems like the ST/Maxx would be a more direct comparison to the Duratrac anyway, no?
    Don
    NCLR BoD
    '07 LR3, mods=all
    '96 D1 'roadster', crawler
    '88 RRC 4.2
    '95 RRC 3.9, 3" lift, 33s, yada yada...
    '98 D1, spare

The Duratracs provide great all around use, but a friend of mine who offroads has gone through three sidewalls. It it was not on extreme terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast