Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tire Question - Cooper AT3 vs. Duratrac in snow

I went Cooper AT/W's and two and a half years in have 45,000 km on them and looking to replace. Ice and wet snow traction is not good now. They were awesome first two winters, now tread depth is almost getting to the wear indicators. Offroad, mostly forest service roads and a trip to Moab on a couple of easy trails they were great. For a year round tire with an 80,000 km tread warranty I am disappointed though. My next tire- Duratracs or AT3 in C load range. Hope this helps! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post
    I will vote for the Coopers if you have not already purchased. I went on a late winter trip to Or with an 80 series in deep snow mixed with mud and bare trails. Those tires out performed my KM2s roundly in each terrain we encountered. We called them the snow paddles for the remainder of the trip.
    Which Coopers, the AT/Ws?

Quote Originally Posted by Climberclimb View Post
    I went Cooper AT/W's and two and a half years in have 45,000 km on them and looking to replace. Ice and wet snow traction is not good now. They were awesome first two winters, now tread depth is almost getting to the wear indicators. Offroad, mostly forest service roads and a trip to Moab on a couple of easy trails they were great. For a year round tire with an 80,000 km tread warranty I am disappointed though. My next tire- Duratracs or AT3 in C load range. Hope this helps! Cheers
    Hi, just curious to ask if you would go with the AT/W again if you had the choice?

I'm asking because I'm also from BC, albeit lower mainland Vancouver and what not. We see a lot more cold/wet pavement than snow of any sort down here.

Would you recommend the AT/W for my purposes?

My main issue is hydroplaning when it's cold/wet and dealing with lack of ice-grip. I've heard that the AT/3 suffers a lot more on ice (almost like a hockey puck on black ice) and not as good in the wet either. Since you're from the northern part, would you be concerned about that at all? Hopefully I can figure out the best tire for my purpose.

Yup Duratracs are the best go for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
    Hi, just curious to ask if you would go with the AT/W again if you had the choice?

I'm asking because I'm also from BC, albeit lower mainland Vancouver and what not. We see a lot more cold/wet pavement than snow of any sort down here.

Would you recommend the AT/W for my purposes?

My main issue is hydroplaning when it's cold/wet and dealing with lack of ice-grip. I've heard that the AT/3 suffers a lot more on ice (almost like a hockey puck on black ice) and not as good in the wet either. Since you're from the northern part, would you be concerned about that at all? Hopefully I can figure out the best tire for my purpose.
    Hi Lynch
    Yes, I would recommend the AT/W. It is excellent in the snow and ice and no issues with hydroplanning. The first two winters were awesome and I travelled to Big White every weekend in all conditions with no problems. My stock tires on the Taco almost put me in the ditch the first week of owning it - hydroplanning! I have been rethinking these tires and for the price might go for them again. Although I will only run them as a winter tire. I tow and haul firewood in the summer and I think that was too much for the tires? The heat of the Okanagan was probably not the best either. I have been researching and you are right about the AT3 being horrible on ice. Sorry for the long response. Please ask away if you need more information. Cheers

Default Is there a third option

between the daily driver and two lifted jeeps, I have tried a ton of at and mt tires. Swampers too mastercraft at's. Here is what I can attest to. The BFG KO 2 is an outstanding tire for 99 percent of drivers out there. Fantastic in the wet and in the snow. I have nearly 55K miles on them with my 2010 Tundra and expect to get another 10-15K. Most often a long lasting tire is too hard to have sufficient wet and snow traction. Not the case with these KO2's. The only complaint I have, is once they reach about half thread, clay and thick black mud, like we have in the midwest, fail to clean out, with out a good use of the skinny pedal. -But what AT works wonders in the gooey stuff?

I run load range e tires because I do a lot of pulling. But I never once have had a sidewall issue with the KO2. Understandable, most people hate on BFG's. I did too until I actually used them. Will probably keep running them on my Tundra and Wife's jeep.

As far as the gooey mud, I learned a trick from the wife a few years ago and went non-stick. Thats right, before a hunting trip with the AT's on I just coat them with a nice layer of Pam. It wears off the tread blocks, but stays for days in the tread voids. Seems to really help the clean out process. Even did this on my bogger truck a few years back. Seemed to work well with the TSL's as well.

Not the AT3's, but I've got the Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX's in 255/85/16 and no complaints so far.
    There is a 93.4% chance that this poster has no clue what he is talking about.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234