jeep jk unlimited camper project

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Awesome! I applaude your creativity, skill & ambition!!!!! I have had this vision & walked around my JK a few times with the tape measure..... KUDOS!

JCDriller

Adventurer
Looks great but I'm not seeing how anyone is going to sleep above the front seat, seems like its blocked out in the photos.

Lucky j

Explorer
I've been following this tread, and what he as not mentioned yet, is that I think that we will see a canvas portion between the top and the wooded side of the unit.

Cringe

Observer
I have been watching this, and it definitely reminds me of the HMMVW ambulances.

id_ambulance_hmmwv_m997_05_700.jpg

It will be interesting to see where you go with it! Nice work so far!

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
WOW i jsut got a chance to check back on this thread and its absolutely a work of art! I love it. You sir have a hell of a creative mind. good work!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Very cool.

Have you thought about modifying the roll bar at the back to get it out of the way?

I'm going to turn mine into a perfect square box, so it's in the very "corners" of the hard top.

Also, there will never be anyone in the back while driving (no back seat) so even if it's a fraction weaker than stock I'm not too concerned.

-Dan

bamajeep

Adventurer
Very cool.

Have you thought about modifying the roll bar at the back to get it out of the way?

I'm going to turn mine into a perfect square box, so it's in the very "corners" of the hard top.

Also, there will never be anyone in the back while driving (no back seat) so even if it's a fraction weaker than stock I'm not too concerned.

-Dan

As far as the roll bar, I intend on leaving the support bar that runs horizontally while traveling, but plan to unbolt the crossbar once at the campsite - giving an unobstructed passageway. I'm trying to come up with a quicker alternative for removal - looking for a quick, but safe disconnect system. Trying to leave everything bolt-on/bolt-off.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the encouraging words. The current camper is a prototype, with hopefully another following- constructed of fiberglass or aluminum (still haven't decided)- trying to lower the overall height a few inches - To accomplish this, I'll end up needing a thinner mattress. What type of mattress would you all recommend? Looking for a slim profile, but still comfortable.

Thanks again!

Cringe

Observer
I am far from an expert, but I would think that aluminum would hold up better over time whereas fiberglass would start to get some stress fractures.

As far as the mattress, you could browse thefoamfactory.com and see all their products. They have lots of options from what I have seen in my own browsing. I plan to order from them once I get around to rebuilding my popup since they also have seat cushion foam in addition to mattress foam.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all of the encouraging words. The current camper is a prototype, with hopefully another following- constructed of fiberglass or aluminum (still haven't decided)- trying to lower the overall height a few inches - To accomplish this, I'll end up needing a thinner mattress. What type of mattress would you all recommend? Looking for a slim profile, but still comfortable.

Thanks again!

You've done an excellent job with design and a masterful job with construction. I was wondering if the wood might end up being a bit heavy, so I'm glad to hear this is a prototype and there's a fiberglass or aluminum version to come.

I am far from an expert, but I would think that aluminum would hold up better over time whereas fiberglass would start to get some stress fractures.

I disagree - a properly designed fiberglass shell should outlast the Jeep. Having designed and built a modular Jeep hardtop (which has been licensed for production and is now on the market) and driven it over 75,000 road miles and several thousand off-road miles with no signs of stress whatsoever, I'd encourage the use of fiberglass for the final version. While my hardtop is smaller than the camper in question, the design concept would certainly be able to scale up. I've also done structural camper components in fiberglass with good success. Fiberglass is light, it's very strong, and once you make the molds, and unlike with aluminum you can mold as many as you like.

bamajeep, when you get to that point if you need any fiberglass advice, just let me know.
jeff

Cringe

Observer
Not to derail the thread, but I have wondered how your tops were holding up - and your trailers! I have browsed through your threads from time to time and do enjoy seeing what you come up with. My only experience with fiberglass was repairing the chainplates as well as some crazing on the hull of my sailboat several years ago. That is why I figured aluminum would hold up better. I my defense I did preface my post by stating I am far from an expert, I have just done repair not full-blown fabrication with fiberglass.

Have you considered composites? There are some carbon/kevlar weaves out there, and you can also buy honeycomb panels pre-fabricated. Since the box is, well, a box, then you could use those panels which would be super lightweight but also nice and strong. I would think that would cut down on the amount of time needed to fabricate the entire shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94